Fixed my rear wiper, for free! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-11-2021, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
WK2Overland4X4

Fixed my rear wiper, for free!

I picked this Jeep up with 99K miles last summer, On the test drive I tried the rear wiper and it moved about 4", Over the last 6-8 months it has moved another 4" or so, and it looked like it was saluting everyone and blocking my view, in general, ticking me off.
So I finally decided to take a look at it. Opened rear glass (I'm sure that feature made it all a bit easier) unplugged wire, removed the 2 10mm nuts. Then the 10mm nut on the wiper arm and starting scratching my head "what next".
Pulled the rubber boot off of the shaft, and found a nut, I believe it was a 22mm. Then it came right out. 2 5mm head screws removed it from the inner trim piece, and some phillips opened it up.
I was expecting it to be dry, rusty, cruddy inside, but it was honestly, like new. Smacked it around a bit, and the guts fell out.
So next with the pigtail hanging through the seal of the rear window (another plus for that feature!) and the glass closed, I plugged it in, and turned it on. The motor ran just fine.
Next I tried turning the very rusty shaft that goes through the glass, and it was tight, very tight. spray, twist, spray, twist, back and forth, repeat. After a bit it was much smoother, still tight, but not anywhere near as bad. Put the guts back in, and fired it up, it went back and forth, self parked, all good. Then fully re-assembled it all, and put it back in, and all was well. Wipes good, blade was even OK, no dead spots. Rear pisser works great too (I even got to spray my brother in law as he was holding the motor waiting for me to turn it on to test https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/imag..._face_wink.png ).
One tip, if you do take it apart, you need to remove at least the connecting rod type piece, if not all the guts to work the shaft back and forth, so either take a picture (I did not) or just get a good mental image (I sort of did), and when you put it back together, wipe off the grease, and there is 2 alignment marks for the 2 metal toothed parts to help you.
I think that this was from a much milder climate than where I live, it mustn't have used the rear wiper much, maybe? Either way, it is fine now, and maybe $90 or so saved, right?

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

Good of you to post that solution. My 2014 of course does not have a rear window that opens. Since you took the time to take it all apart is there any specific place on the wiper that you would reccomend be lubricated with something like WD-40 as a preventative measure to avoid the issue you experienced?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-12-2021, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Good of you to post that solution. My 2014 of course does not have a rear window that opens. Since you took the time to take it all apart is there any specific place on the wiper that you would reccomend be lubricated with something like WD-40 as a preventative measure to avoid the issue you experienced?
My first suggestion it to treat it like a nuke, use it or lose it!
And if you remove the wiper arm, (probably need a puller, I did) be careful, it is 100% plastic, and not cheap. A new genuine plastic wiper arm is about 60% the price of the actual motor!
Fold out the plastic cover part at the base of the arm, loosen the 10mm locknut a couple turns, and see if it pops loose, if not, any type of puller will get it loose easily. We had a giant gear puller and it got in there, a battery terminal one would probably be ideal.
Then once the arm is off there is a rubber boot, sort of funnel shaped, that covers the nut holding it to the glass, with that boot off, you can see the shaft, and probably corrosion. When I put it back together, I actually stuck the red tube from a spray lube can in between the boot and the shaft and filled it. I plan to take it back apart in a week or so, to check how it soaked in, and fill with actual grease to lube, and to prevent water getting in.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-17-2021, 05:53 PM
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

I bought some cheapo puller for mine, mine was rusty and crusty, cleaned it up and now make a habit of using it often to keep it going. Still really slow once in a while though.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2021, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
WK2Overland4X4

Well, not a record by any means, but 5-6 rainy weeks later, it still works fine. It is funny how the little things make you smile. When I see the curved cleared off path with dirty back window around it, it feels good. Better then the arm being permanently up at like the 2:00 angle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in