FCA Extended Warranty? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
bicster
2016 WK 

FCA Extended Warranty?

My 2016 Overland High Altitude comes off itís lease soon and I think Iím going to buy it out, but Iím unsure about whether to buy an extended warranty.

When I leased the car I opted to extend the factory warranty for an additional year to cover the 4 year lease. I now have the option to extend it for a further 3 years for around $3500 CAD ($2600 USD). This would be a fully comprehensive, zero deductible FCA warranty thatís an extension of the original factory warranty when the vehicle was new.

The vehicle has done 39k kms (~24k miles) so itís a low miler. But, we live in downtown Toronto, so the vast majority of its journeys have been short with lots of stopping and starting - much like Iím sure many of you are who live in big cities.

My big concern with this car is the air suspension and expensive bills that could come our way if it springs a leak or the compressor dies. My wifeís only 5í1Ē so we have auto entry/exit enabled so itís going up and down multiple times for each journey we do.

So what do we think - if you were in my situation (with zero mechanical know-how and/or experience) would you get the warranty?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 AM
tomit
2015 WK 

Can you shop around for a better price?

Tom

'15 Black V-6 Limited
post #3 of 21 Old 11-22-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
bicster
2016 WK 

Iíve called a few main dealers and this is the best so far. I was going to continue to do that but Iím not expecting to get a number significantly cheaper - maybe a couple of hundred bucks.

My understanding is that these extended warranties are mostly profit for the dealers, but at the same time theyíre not motivated to cut me a deal - unless I play them off against one another.

post #4 of 21 Old 11-22-2019, 05:27 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

The choice to get a warranty is a personal one. Do you think you’ll have more than the cost of the warranty in repairs during the warranty period? If so, get the warranty. If not, don’t get it. But there’s never a way to know which is better.

Personally I paid $1450.00 (US) for an 8 year 85,000 mile Maxcare warranty cuz I felt that was worth the risk. $2600 for 3 years.... I’d probably pass.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-22-2019, 05:52 AM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

Two years ago the cost to replace a compressor was 2100 USD dollars and took 3 weeks for it to get replaced by the dealer. Luckily I had a extended warranty.
I now turn my auto exit/entry off for the winter months. First thing I did when I replaced that Jeep was to buy a extended warranty, Its a gamble either way so best of luck to you on your decision.

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #6 of 21 Old 11-22-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
bicster
2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmac1 View Post
Two years ago the cost to replace a compressor was 2100 USD dollars and took 3 weeks for it to get replaced by the dealer. Luckily I had a extended warranty.

I now turn my auto exit/entry off for the winter months. First thing I did when I replaced that Jeep was to buy a extended warranty, Its a gamble either way so best of luck to you on your decision.

How old was your Jeep when you had to replace the compressor? And did it give you any tells beforehand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 21 Old 11-22-2019, 10:34 AM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

The expensive costs to service the air suspension and UConnect electronics and my plans to keep the vehicle for as long as possible were the reasons I bought the MaxCare Lifetime.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #8 of 21 Old 11-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Homer1

I also keep my jeeps forever....I have lifetime added care plus on the 2008 limited (165,000 miles, new tranny alone made the service contract worth it, but there have been many repairs, understandably) and 8 year added care plus on 2017 gc trailhawk, as lifetime is no longer available (wonder why). Incidentally, i'm taking some heat on the WK forum for the 08 because FCA won't fix my oil pan due to rust and i'm fighting it....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #9 of 21 Old 11-23-2019, 04:05 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Bear in mind I've never owned a vehicle less than 8 years old or with less than 180k km on it, so obviously I've never had a warranty or dealt with warranty work. But to me by paying extra for a warranty you're still paying to get it fixed if something goes wrong, you just prepaid for it. I've seen a lot of people on here having hassles when trying to actually get stuff covered under those warranties. The previous owner of my WK had one that cost about the same, he got a pile of work done under it and it still didn't come close to what he paid for the warranty.

Assuming your usage stays the same you'd hit 70k km by the time it runs out. Fortunately you have the benefit of poking around here to see what common issues the guys with higher mileage WK2s have run into so you could probably figure out a "worst case" cost of work it might need, but I would think that you aren't likely to end up with significantly more than $3500 in repairs going from 40k to 70k km. If you do think it's going to need well over that amount of work in that time I do have to raise the question of why would you want to buy out a vehicle that you expect to be that problematic anyways?

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #10 of 21 Old 11-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Bear in mind I've never owned a vehicle less than 8 years old or with less than 180k km on it, so obviously I've never had a warranty or dealt with warranty work. But to me by paying extra for a warranty you're still paying to get it fixed if something goes wrong, you just prepaid for it. I've seen a lot of people on here having hassles when trying to actually get stuff covered under those warranties. The previous owner of my WK had one that cost about the same, he got a pile of work done under it and it still didn't come close to what he paid for the warranty.

Assuming your usage stays the same you'd hit 70k km by the time it runs out. Fortunately you have the benefit of poking around here to see what common issues the guys with higher mileage WK2s have run into so you could probably figure out a "worst case" cost of work it might need, but I would think that you aren't likely to end up with significantly more than $3500 in repairs going from 40k to 70k km. If you do think it's going to need well over that amount of work in that time I do have to raise the question of why would you want to buy out a vehicle that you expect to be that problematic anyways?
Good point....3 years extended warranty for $2600 unreasonable....i got 8 years/125,000 Added Care Plus for under $2400 on a 2017 GC Trailhawk.....i agree w/ the poster who said shop around....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #11 of 21 Old 11-23-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
bicster
2016 WK 

Costs aside, I can shop around dealers. I want the MOPAR factory warranty, not an insurance based one so I think itís going to be around $3k CAD ($2k US).

The concern I have with things breaking is due to our driving patterns. We donít drive long distances, and although a couple of school runs a day plus trips around the city donít add up to many KMs, thereís a lot of use there - warming/cooling cycles, lots of starts and stops etc... So while the KMs are low, itís used every day.

The big concern I have is the air suspension, I feel the 2016 is late enough in the release cycle for all the other kinks to be ironed out!
post #12 of 21 Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Good point....3 years extended warranty for $2600 unreasonable....i got 8 years/125,000 Added Care Plus for under $2400 on a 2017 GC Trailhawk.....i agree w/ the poster who said shop around....
You do know that the OP is in Canada, so $2600CAD is a lot less - about USD $1950
post #13 of 21 Old 11-24-2019, 11:05 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

I have a 7/160 Gold Warranty, paid $4300 CAD to get it when new. I'm going to be getting another 5 year/100 k comprehensive on my 6 th year (a mopar factory warranty). This will push my ownership to 11 years. After 11 years I hope it goes on for at least a few more solo without any major issues.

Get the extended warranty and keep your easy/exit on. Enjoy the truck, you paid for it! Steeles Ave will likely pop a bag, anyways.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-25-2019, 05:38 AM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

The Jeep was 2 and 1/2 years old when the compressor failed. No warning at all, just a clicking in the jeep so I shut it off. Took it to the dealer and they somehow got it in OR2 for 3 weeks. Horrible to drive on the road in OR2 and something did not feel right after that. Went to another dealer and test drove the HA and bought it right after the test drive. This new dealer has loaners when this compressor fails. After driving the HA I cannot see me not buying anything else but another HA in the future. Love this Jeep.

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #15 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 04:40 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
You do know that the OP is in Canada, so $2600CAD is a lot less - about USD $1950
Yes....he writes: "3 years for around $3500 CAD ($2600 USD)" in the first post; more $$ and 2 years less than what I bought.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in