Extended Warranty??? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-26-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Bcsheetz3883
2011 WK 

Extended Warranty???

Hello All,

Not had the best of luck since purchasing my 2011 GC Overland Summit in April 2020. Currently only has 88k miles on it. Really love driving this Jeep but worried problems just keep coming. Wish I would have bought an extended warranty when I bought it. I'm at the point where I either get rid of it or buy a bumper to bumper warranty. I want to drive it for a really long time if I can. Any thoughts on warranty providers? Do any of the extended warranty products cover the air suspension system? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-26-2020, 06:56 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Only stick with the factory mopar warranties but your car is probably too old with too many miles to be eligible.

Any 3rd party warranty wonít be worth the paper itís written on.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi & 2017 SRT 6.4L & 2020 Trackhawk 6.2L Supercharged
post #3 of 31 Old 12-26-2020, 08:59 PM
StanDaMan

2017 WK 

You may be able to get a preowned MaxCare warranty. According to Zeigler, they can go back to 2002, although I've heard elsewhere it's actually more like 10 years from when purchasing the warranty. You do have to have the vehicle inspected at a dealer, though.

chryslerfactoryplans.com

Additionally, contact these other MaxCare resellers and see what they say about mileage, etc., you've got nothing to lose by asking. As 2008OverlandCRD said, third party warranties are indeed hot garbage.

Name:  contacts.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  25.5 KB

post #4 of 31 Old 12-27-2020, 12:36 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

I looked and was shocked to find you can get a mopar warranty. You can even get a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.... for $9,200.00!!

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi & 2017 SRT 6.4L & 2020 Trackhawk 6.2L Supercharged
post #5 of 31 Old 12-27-2020, 05:29 AM
StanDaMan

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
I looked and was shocked to find you can get a mopar warranty. You can even get a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.... for $9,200.00!!
They're definitely not losing money on that.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Black Max"
post #6 of 31 Old 12-27-2020, 06:15 AM
Sippican

I go with an extended warranty on every car I've owned. The key point is to ONLY get an extended factory warranty, not 3rd party. When you have a problem, you have less hoops to jump through to get service. I paid 3,800 for an 7 year unlimited miles warranty on a 2015 Mercedes GLK350. It was just ok, non exciting drive SUV. From the day I got it, it had brake problems. Sure, I was hard on braking but they honored the warranty. I have 5 sets of brakes and rotors put on and ended up trading it in for my 2018 Jeep JL Sahara. Trade in miles was just under 100,000 (I think it was like 98,000). Mercedes couldn't wait for me to get out of that warranty. PLUS, I got back 2,800 back from unused warranty(based on the years I owned it).

I got strange looks trading in a Mercedes for a Jeep. I have no regrets. I love the Sahara so much more than the Mercedes!
Attached Thumbnails
0DD119ED-782A-4E5C-86A4-1619708854BA_1_105_c.jpg   6607DBC1-4741-48A4-AAEC-AE3C38BE853A_1_105_c.jpg  
StanDaMan likes this.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-27-2020, 07:54 AM
Donystoy
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post
They're definitely not losing money on that.
That tells me that even Mopar is expecting a lot of issues with these vehicles. I think that the next time I am shopping for a new vehicle I will research the cost of extended warranties before purchasing.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-27-2020, 06:32 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donystoy View Post
That tells me that even Mopar is expecting a lot of issues with these vehicles. I think that the next time I am shopping for a new vehicle I will research the cost of extended warranties before purchasing.
The cost for a warranty for a newer model year is MUCH cheaper.

post #9 of 31 Old 12-28-2020, 07:10 AM
WK2Overland4X4

100,000 miles is the cutoff.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-29-2020, 08:49 AM
11LimitedJGC

Hi there,I've been following this for a few days. Here is my experience. I have a 2011 Limited, and have also had multiple problems with it over the 2 years of ownership. It now has 93,500 miles on it, so I've put about 20,000 miles on it in 2 years. When purchased, the dealer provided a 1-year warranty plan, which I used to repair the cam timing solenoid which failed. Due to other failures (brake caliper, actuators / gears, cruise control switch) - I shopped extended warranty / maintenance plans.

I decided on Infinite Auto, which gave me +5 years and +75,000 miles for $1,950. Supposedly 100% repair and $0 deductible. I have coverage until June 2025 or 160,523 miles.

I've used it on two repairs so far, both sway bar end links (warranty provided $296 for that repair) and the drivers side axle (warranty provided $485 towards that repair). Next up is the water pump, which I haven't turned in yet but will need replacing. Its not 100% in that it doesn't cover taxes and some shop fees, and they cap labor rates. So I've had to pay some out of pocket.

The good - well, they do pay out. You just have to play their game (call it in to them first, set up a claim, THEN go to the shop, for instance).

The bad - turnaround time. Each repair, the shop called it in, and they took about a day to review and approve the repairs. So the car sits in the parking lot at the shop for longer then it needs to if you were just paying for repairs yourself. Also, you have to understand the parts and labor charge limits they impose (example, last repair the Jeep dealer wanted $125/hr, warranty covered $99/hr - since I was traveling and out of state, I just paid the difference to the out-of-town Jeep dealer).

Overall - its ok. I'm glad I have it. At this rate, I will certainly use up the $1,950 and should come out ahead, even if I do have to pay for taxes / fees / charge overages. I'm not overly happy, I'm not overly disappointed. Its just a necessity for this particular Jeep, as it has had about one breakdown every-other-month for the last 20 or so months (yes, you read that right).

Hope this helps.
post #11 of 31 Old 12-29-2020, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Bcsheetz3883
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LimitedJGC View Post
Hi there,I've been following this for a few days. Here is my experience. I have a 2011 Limited, and have also had multiple problems with it over the 2 years of ownership. It now has 93,500 miles on it, so I've put about 20,000 miles on it in 2 years. When purchased, the dealer provided a 1-year warranty plan, which I used to repair the cam timing solenoid which failed. Due to other failures (brake caliper, actuators / gears, cruise control switch) - I shopped extended warranty / maintenance plans.

I decided on Infinite Auto, which gave me +5 years and +75,000 miles for $1,950. Supposedly 100% repair and $0 deductible. I have coverage until June 2025 or 160,523 miles.

I've used it on two repairs so far, both sway bar end links (warranty provided $296 for that repair) and the drivers side axle (warranty provided $485 towards that repair). Next up is the water pump, which I haven't turned in yet but will need replacing. Its not 100% in that it doesn't cover taxes and some shop fees, and they cap labor rates. So I've had to pay some out of pocket.

The good - well, they do pay out. You just have to play their game (call it in to them first, set up a claim, THEN go to the shop, for instance).

The bad - turnaround time. Each repair, the shop called it in, and they took about a day to review and approve the repairs. So the car sits in the parking lot at the shop for longer then it needs to if you were just paying for repairs yourself. Also, you have to understand the parts and labor charge limits they impose (example, last repair the Jeep dealer wanted $125/hr, warranty covered $99/hr - since I was traveling and out of state, I just paid the difference to the out-of-town Jeep dealer).

Overall - its ok. I'm glad I have it. At this rate, I will certainly use up the $1,950 and should come out ahead, even if I do have to pay for taxes / fees / charge overages. I'm not overly happy, I'm not overly disappointed. Its just a necessity for this particular Jeep, as it has had about one breakdown every-other-month for the last 20 or so months (yes, you read that right).

Hope this helps.
Hi 11LimitedJGC,

I think you nailed it. I've really been pondering my options the last few days. Here is what I've come up with:

1. Really like the Jeep
2. Jeep under 100k
3. I've got to spend a few thousand or more no matter what I do...another used car or warranty
4. I'd be buying a used car as a replacement...means potential problems or spending extra $$ for a more reliable one like a Toyota (thinking 4Runner)
5. Give up a lot of amenities with 4Runner...even if newer than my 2011 GC.
6. I really love the Adaptive Cruise Control
7. The Jeep has spoiled me

= Get warranty and keep my Jeep.

Looking at an extended warranty through Jeep dealership bumper to bumper (4yr/60k is $4800) or an Autonation VPP (still waiting on price & terms).
post #12 of 31 Old 01-11-2021, 09:48 AM
11LimitedJGC

OK - here is my latest claim through Infinite Auto Protection: For replacement water pump - shop quote was just under $500 (~$150 for an aftermarket part, and $300 labor (diagnosis and repair), plus shop fees and taxes). Infinite maxed out their portion of the claim at $270 ($69 for a part they would ship to the shop and 2 hours at $100/hour). So this repair looks to be a 50/50 split. Since my shop does not accept "walk in" parts, I've asked Infinite to cover more of the parts cost. I understand they don't cover diagnosis fees and some shop fees.

So - its about 50% coverage for this repair. That's the downside - if they can locate someone, somewhere, that will sell a part lower then your shop will, they will max the repair coverage to that amount.

I have also asked them to review and increase their parts coverage on the axle repair - the Jeep OEM part at a dealer was $415; Infinite only covered $290.

I don't have high hopes, but why not ask and make some noise.

So anyways, moral of the story. You play their game, get what you can get, and pay for the rest.

That being said, my warranty purchase price was $1,950. In 7 months, I've received back from them $1,100. So, if this trend continues, the plan will more then pay for itself.......
post #13 of 31 Old 01-11-2021, 10:24 AM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LimitedJGC View Post
OK - here is my latest claim through Infinite Auto Protection: For replacement water pump - shop quote was just under $500 (~$150 for an aftermarket part, and $300 labor (diagnosis and repair), plus shop fees and taxes). Infinite maxed out their portion of the claim at $270 ($69 for a part they would ship to the shop and 2 hours at $100/hour). So this repair looks to be a 50/50 split. Since my shop does not accept "walk in" parts, I've asked Infinite to cover more of the parts cost. I understand they don't cover diagnosis fees and some shop fees.

So - its about 50% coverage for this repair. That's the downside - if they can locate someone, somewhere, that will sell a part lower then your shop will, they will max the repair coverage to that amount.

I have also asked them to review and increase their parts coverage on the axle repair - the Jeep OEM part at a dealer was $415; Infinite only covered $290.

I don't have high hopes, but why not ask and make some noise.

So anyways, moral of the story. You play their game, get what you can get, and pay for the rest.

That being said, my warranty purchase price was $1,950. In 7 months, I've received back from them $1,100. So, if this trend continues, the plan will more then pay for itself.......
Sounds like you really had to hold their feet to the fire! Hoping the MaxCare will be a little less tedious if/when I use it!

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #14 of 31 Old 01-12-2021, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Bcsheetz3883
2011 WK 

Thank you guys for the continued input and information. I put a Mopar Maxcare 5yr/60k plan in place and will be covered until about 150k. It was not cheap which tells me they expect some major issues on my age of GC. In any event, I'm sure they win out in the long run...that is the business model. However, I will not be the one left holding the bag when repair/replacement time comes. Worth my piece of mind and sanity.

2014RedHemiGC:

Keep me posted on the Maxcare process if & when you have to make a claim.

11LimitedJGC:

I bet the plan pays for itself but a weird thing to me wishing for...just means you will be dealing with more headaches. Thanks for the updates.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 PM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Sounds like you really had to hold their feet to the fire! Hoping the MaxCare will be a little less tedious if/when I use it!
MaxCare is easy. Take your Jeep in -- if it is mechanical it is covered with OEM parts and you pay your deductible. It works out even better if you have multiple issues since you only pay one deductible. Even better, the dealer will do an inspection and find covered items (that is how the steering rack was addressed).

On my Jeep, no questions asked:
(2) blower motor with wheel
(3) sets of rear shocks
(1) sunroof rail (TSB)
(1) evaporator, recharge, dye
(1) thermostat and coolant top-off
(1) PCM update
(1) steering rack and alignment

I paid $1850 for the lifetime with $100 deductible ... it has paid for itself and the MaxCare experience has been outstanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in