ESS Stopped Working - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 Old 03-27-2020, 04:55 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags722 View Post
Somehow, I managed to turn notifications from this thread off and now can't get them back. Any way to fix this? As far as the ESS system, I remain totally stumped. While I still believe the "battery charging" message may have something to do with a "battery cold" situation and not a charge issue, as Spring rolls in I'm seeing some days it claims battery is charging but never turn on, the next day it will work like a champ as soon as the engine is up to temperature. I'm of the opinion this is the poorest designed system/feature in any car ever produced. I hate using it, but it really ticks me off to have a car less than a year old with a system that throws fault codes and has already had the battery swapped out once.1,700 miles on a 8 month old car that gets a lot of sitting time because I'm disgusted with it.
I understand your frustration believe me....i'm on my 4th jeep and still have the 3rd...jeep sells a lot of vehicles, so there are bound to me issues just like with any other manufacturer. The key is...will they take care of your specific vehicle??

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 AM
mcgeepj2

2017 WK 

Dealership replaced both the main AGM and the AUX batteries. ESS is working again.

They were concerned about my Cellink NEO battery for my Thinkware cameras. I have it hardwired. It charges when you drive, but doesn't discharge when in use when the Jeep is off. My daily drive to work is about 25-30 minutes and under normal conditions when the jeep doesn't stay down for long that shouldn't be a problem. But, the Cellink is only good for less than 20 hours and there are lots of times when it sits all weekend never running and they thought maybe the charging of the Cellink after it has run down after that long isn't happening properly with as short a drive I have. Makes some sense and to be honest I don't need the Parking feature here, so having the battery so the cam runs when the Jeep is off isn't a priority. So, I'll power the cam from the iighter and see how that works.

2017 Grand Cherokee
1994 Wrangler SE
Previous 83' CJ-7, 77' J-10, 75' CJ-5
Stationed in Korea
post #63 of 78 Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 PM
96OrvisEd

I wish the ESS would stay off until you want it again....the rear parking notification button stays off until you turn it on again, but that button is a pain in another way, as it constantly beeps when backing up...still that's better that the brakes locking up when in reverse because you are close to a soft bush or such thing....sheesh! (Frightening when the brakes are applied by the Jeep on is own!) Don't you just love all this technology?

post #64 of 78 Old 04-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
I wish the ESS would stay off until you want it again....the rear parking notification button stays off until you turn it on again, but that button is a pain in another way, as it constantly beeps when backing up...still that's better that the brakes locking up when in reverse because you are close to a soft bush or such thing....sheesh! (Frightening when the brakes are applied by the Jeep on is own!) Don't you just love all this technology?
Well, I wish our 08 Limited had the reverse auto-brake, as the beeping wasn't enough to stop her from rearing into a pole..LOL

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #65 of 78 Old 04-05-2020, 10:31 AM
96OrvisEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Well, I wish our 08 Limited had the reverse auto-brake, as the beeping wasn't enough to stop her from rearing into a pole..LOL [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
I could probably come to like the auto braking too, but I didn’t know our new Altitude had it until it frightened me almost to death when it did it’s thing when I was parking it at our office one day! It was a horrifying experience as I was certain I had backed into a tree stump behind me! LOL!
post #66 of 78 Old 04-05-2020, 10:54 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I kept our '98 ZJ and '07 WK because I do NOT WANT all these annoyances! And when my son got his '17 JK Wrangler he got the Unlimited Sport with manual trans, manual windows and locks, nothing else! Because on the old ZJ the windows and locks now and then would pitch a fit, and not work.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #67 of 78 Old 04-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
I kept our '98 ZJ and '07 WK because I do NOT WANT all these annoyances! And when my son got his '17 JK Wrangler he got the Unlimited Sport with manual trans, manual windows and locks, nothing else! Because on the old ZJ the windows and locks now and then would pitch a fit, and not work.
Oh how i miss my 97 zj....the stories, time spent runnin' the beaches, ...her heart was strong til the end; she succumbed to rust....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #68 of 78 Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM
96OrvisEd

Quote:
Oh how i miss my 97 zj....the stories, time spent runnin' the beaches, ...her heart was strong til the end; she succumbed to rust....

I hear ya! I still have my '96 ZJ Orvis Edition....I had an appointment for my body shop to repair rust today, but I cancelled it due to the current pandemic situation. At almost 252,000 miles the 5.2L V8 is still strong and I just love the thing, despite the annoyances of certain things no longer working! Best Jeep ever! It's my go to vehicle for hauling mulch, etc. I do love our 2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude, even with the annoying new gimmicks and the fact that it (WK2) is so much larger than the ZJ body style.
post #69 of 78 Old 04-06-2020, 10:20 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Eventually when this whole situation is better I want to take a trip out west and bring back a few rust free classic Jeeps (for example a late 90s XJ, ZJ, or TJ). Those are the most common and while a lot of parts are NLA you can still find salvage parts.

post #70 of 78 Old 04-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
I hear ya! I still have my '96 ZJ Orvis Edition....I had an appointment for my body shop to repair rust today, but I cancelled it due to the current pandemic situation. At almost 252,000 miles the 5.2L V8 is still strong and I just love the thing, despite the annoyances of certain things no longer working! Best Jeep ever! It's my go to vehicle for hauling mulch, etc. I do love our 2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude, even with the annoying new gimmicks and the fact that it (WK2) is so much larger than the ZJ body style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Eventually when this whole situation is better I want to take a trip out west and bring back a few rust free classic Jeeps (for example a late 90s XJ, ZJ, or TJ). Those are the most common and while a lot of parts are NLA you can still find salvage parts.
We should have a "tell your old stories about your most memorable jeep excursions" thread (maybe shorten the title...lol)...i have some pretty good ones...
96OrvisEd likes this.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #71 of 78 Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
We should have a "tell your old stories about your most memorable jeep excursions" thread (maybe shorten the title...lol)...i have some pretty good ones...
Imagine trying to drive an over 20 year old Jeep nearly across country (Arizona--->New York) that would be quite a memorable excursion lol!

post #72 of 78 Old 04-07-2020, 12:35 PM
Rags722
2015 WK 

Garage
I am going to go out on a limb here and ask that people who have recently posted comments to this thread that have nothing to do with ESS System not working PLEASE go back and remove them. It is my opinion that the ESS system is problematic at very best and/or underdesigned at worst. However, to keep the thread pure, we can stay on track and not have it shut down because it has become a ***** session for other Jeep related issues. Just my thoughts, but my 8 month old GC continues to report battery charging problems with less than 1,800 miles on the clock and a battery swap out at the dealers several months ago. I would like to get to the bottom of this before the warranty is over. Either a for sure fix, or pressure for a recall to get it working correctly. I know I can turn it off (or for that matter just disconnect the battery status feed) if I don't want the system to work. I think it would be nice to be able to drive around without a fault message.
post #73 of 78 Old 04-07-2020, 03:03 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah the tread is getting just a bit off topic, not that bad, just getting there

There seems to be a few problem vehicles for sure, most by far don't have an issue. Dunno if its because its hard to diagnose/troubleshoot, FCA repair policy, a boundary condition software code issue, driver error, or the Bosch provided battery condition sensors are inconsistent. Hopefully someday FCA figures it out.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #74 of 78 Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 AM
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

I had a 2020 WK2 loaner last month with less than 3,000 miles for almost three weeks while the dealer was working with Zurich on what they would replace on my 2016 with 62,000 miles to fix the lifter issue in the Pentastar. During that time, the ESS never worked in the loaner and always had the "battery charging" message. I drove it several hundred miles during that time so it should have had time to charge. Fortunately, my 2016 WK2 has never had any ESS issues and has always worked. I actually like it and can see a fuel savings because of it. I had a 2011 WK2 (with many other issues and had to trade it in) and the city gas mileage was was several miles per gallon lower without the ESS, I assume. Needless to say, I am not a fan of FCA and Jeep any longer. I've had way too many issues with the two, WK2s that I have owned and my wifes JKU. I'll probably be getting a 4 Runner or Tacoma when my extended warranty is up. I am tired of visiting my dealer and dealing with unreliable vehicles.
post #75 of 78 Old 04-08-2020, 12:37 PM
Salvinorum

2020 WK 

Quote:
I could probably come to like the auto braking too, but I didnít know our new Altitude had it until it frightened me almost to death when it did itís thing when I was parking it at our office one day! It was a horrifying experience as I was certain I had backed into a tree stump behind me! LOL!
LMAO, that's hilarious, that's exactly what happened to me. I was used to the camera and the beeping already, so here I am about a month after I bought the 2020 Altitude, backing into my parking spot in my underground garage. But I'm used to it so i went pretty fast, and man, that Jeep slammed the breaks and all the lights came on, RED, and NOISE, I thought for sure I hit something, but my brain just wouldn't accept it cuz I've done it like 20 times already, so i was like, maybe a dog or cat or something. It took me a full minute to figure out I didn't hit anything and it was the auto-break.

Now whenever I back into anything, I go very slow, cuz I'm scared of the auto-break!
96OrvisEd likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in