ESS Stopped Working - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 78 Old 03-22-2020, 06:11 PM
mcgeepj2

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Hey! It worked today...short trip, 10 minutes....outside temp read 43 deg.
I've been following because up until recently I have had the SMART Start/Stop module installed to disable the ESS. Had it for about 1.5 years with no issue. About 2 weeks ago I got 2 lights pop up the red Battery and the yellow A for ESS, but no 'battery no charging' warning message. First thought was the module, so I stopped, turned her off, reached under and found the module was slightly loose and pushed it back in. Started her up and no lights. Battery charge showed around 13.4.

Few days later same thing happened. Still thinking it was related to the after market module I just pulled it out. After restarting the lights again disappeared and have not come back on since (about 4-5 days now). Instrument cluster still shows around 13.3/4 battery charge.

I never had a battery charging warning message. I'm thinking, and hoping, maybe just the SMART module was going bad or something. I can live without it if that's the case, but like Homer1 I am just worried there is something else going on I can't see. Time will tell.

2017 Grand Cherokee
1994 Wrangler SE
Previous 83' CJ-7, 77' J-10, 75' CJ-5
Stationed in Korea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 Old 03-22-2020, 09:28 PM
diverscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
OK now I'll add this:
any of you ever drive a stick shift vehicle with this inane system? I have, a 2018 JL 6 speed. I can't imagine trying to teach someone to drive a manual trans with this abomination shutting off, then starting up when you push the clutch half way down, etc. Very disorienting for a driver trying to learn. I found I could fake it out by leaving the trans in gear with the clutch disengage at a traffic light. If you shift to neutral and let the clutch up, it shuts off. Push the clutch in to put in gear and it starts. Inane. Will NOT have one!
I have bought that smart Stop Start thingy, and let me tell you you'd love it. have not touched the ESS button for months now, and even forgot about it.
post #48 of 78 Old 03-22-2020, 09:33 PM
diverscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
Yes it can. See my links below.
The savings in actual money over a year is negligible, then you have to factor starter stress and the actual work to replace the starter, the strain on the batteries... You have no savings. I leave that thing off with a smart Stop/Start and enjoy the strengthened starter which will probably be a lifetime item when never using ESS.

post #49 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 AM
Roadijeff

Or just press the ESS Off button when you start the engine and reach for the gear selector to take it out of park.
JJBeukema likes this.
post #50 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 AM
mcgeepj2

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeepj2 View Post
I never had a battery charging warning message. I'm thinking, and hoping, maybe just the SMART module was going bad or something. I can live without it if that's the case, but like Homer1 I am just worried there is something else going on I can't see. Time will tell.
I lied. The Battery Charging message is there. AGM battery status is at/around 13.4. When the ESS is engaged (button light off) this message displays and ONLY this message. However, when the ESS is disengaged (button light on) I eventually get a red battery light and the yellow ESS light. I stop and turn off the Jeep, restart and these lights are gone for a few hours. It's almost like as long as the ESS is on and not functioning, the battery continues to try and charge, but if I turn the ESS off the battery starts to drain.

Sound like a battery problem? The ESS battery is the Aux battery right?
Attached Thumbnails
20200323_171506.jpg  

2017 Grand Cherokee
1994 Wrangler SE
Stationed in Korea
post #51 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 06:56 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think the 2017 has the smart battery monitor built into the cable. It monitors the condition of the batteries (charging rate/voltages,current,temp) and lights up the red light when something is out of spec.

Could be alternator, most likely battery, could be a poor connection. A dealer usually replaces both batteries.

Any coolant on the belt causing it to slip?

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #52 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 07:02 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverscale View Post
I have bought that smart Stop Start thingy, and let me tell you you'd love it. have not touched the ESS button for months now, and even forgot about it.
thanks glad it works!

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #53 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 01:56 PM
mcgeepj2

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I think the 2017 has the smart battery monitor built into the cable. It monitors the condition of the batteries (charging rate/voltages,current,temp) and lights up the red light when something is out of spec.

Could be alternator, most likely battery, could be a poor connection. A dealer usually replaces both batteries.

Any coolant on the belt causing it to slip?
Ok thanks. No coolant leaks anywhere. The red battery light only comes on if I turn the ESS/button off. As long as its on and the ESS status shows is "Start/Stop not available battery charging" the red battery light never comes on and the volts never drop below 13.4 or so. Even when the light WAS on the other day, with the ESS light on the dashboard, the battery volts we at 13.3.

2017 Grand Cherokee
1994 Wrangler SE
Stationed in Korea
post #54 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
I lied. The Battery Charging message is there. AGM battery status is at/around 13.4. When the ESS is engaged (button light off) this message displays and ONLY this message. However, when the ESS is disengaged (button light on) I eventually get a red battery light and the yellow ESS light. I stop and turn off the Jeep, restart and these lights are gone for a few hours. It's almost like as long as the ESS is on and not functioning, the battery continues to try and charge, but if I turn the ESS off the battery starts to drain.

Sound like a battery problem? The ESS battery is the Aux battery right?

@mcgeepj2 ,
While we see that you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for support, please know that our team is always available for additional support. If you choose to have your concerns diagnosed by your dealer, please reach out to us via private message for our assistance during your visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares
post #55 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

On a late model, you should see the EVIC displayed voltage vary between 12.6 and 14.5 depending on driving conditions and battery needs. If you are seeing a constant voltage all the time, there may be an issue.

The voltage displayed on the cluster is the current system voltage. When the engine is off, it will be the battery voltage. When the engine is on, it will be alternator voltage because the alternator voltage will be the system voltage. The alternator output is controlled by the PCM based on current load, IBS data, and whatever other factors are programmed into the system. For example, it will not charge when you hammer the throttle, charge at a low rate when cruising to save some mpg, and charge at a higher rate when slowing down. IBS is the smart sensor in the battery cable. The main purpose of the IBS is to provide data related to ESS system, but engineers may have programmed other functions.

Just saying that you probably have an electrical issue, and what you are seeing could be a side effect. The red light can be indicating that the PCM is calling on the alternator to charge but not seeing the expected voltage rise. In any rate, its detecting a problem. Perhaps the right kind of scanner could read the DTC, if set.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #56 of 78 Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 PM
mcgeepj2

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
@mcgeepj2 ,
While we see that you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for support, please know that our team is always available for additional support. If you choose to have your concerns diagnosed by your dealer, please reach out to us via private message for our assistance during your visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sent

2017 Grand Cherokee
1994 Wrangler SE
Stationed in Korea
post #57 of 78 Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Sent
@mcgeepj2 ,
Thank you for the follow up. Please continue our conversation in PMs to avoid any missed messages-

Kathryn
JeepCares
post #58 of 78 Old 03-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Homer1

FWIW mine's been working perfectly since...of course it's been warmer than usual so my theory will have to wait. It does seem to give me another 1.5-2 mpg extra, which could for me-- best case-- close to 50 miles per fill up...right??

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #59 of 78 Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 AM
Rags722
2015 WK 

Garage
Somehow, I managed to turn notifications from this thread off and now can't get them back. Any way to fix this? As far as the ESS system, I remain totally stumped. While I still believe the "battery charging" message may have something to do with a "battery cold" situation and not a charge issue, as Spring rolls in I'm seeing some days it claims battery is charging but never turn on, the next day it will work like a champ as soon as the engine is up to temperature. I'm of the opinion this is the poorest designed system/feature in any car ever produced. I hate using it, but it really ticks me off to have a car less than a year old with a system that throws fault codes and has already had the battery swapped out once.1,700 miles on a 8 month old car that gets a lot of sitting time because I'm disgusted with it.
post #60 of 78 Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags722 View Post
Somehow, I managed to turn notifications from this thread off and now can't get them back. Any way to fix this? As far as the ESS system, I remain totally stumped. While I still believe the "battery charging" message may have something to do with a "battery cold" situation and not a charge issue, as Spring rolls in I'm seeing some days it claims battery is charging but never turn on, the next day it will work like a champ as soon as the engine is up to temperature. I'm of the opinion this is the poorest designed system/feature in any car ever produced. I hate using it, but it really ticks me off to have a car less than a year old with a system that throws fault codes and has already had the battery swapped out once.1,700 miles on a 8 month old car that gets a lot of sitting time because I'm disgusted with it.
Mine work fine for 14 months, including a harsh, cold winter. It stopped working in December, 2019, and outside of 1 nice day this winter, it has been in Battery Charging status ever since. I'm not complaining though, because the system sucks. I'd probably like it if it didn't go off and on multiple times at a red light, or turn off at a stop sign.

2014 Black GC Laredo - Retired
2015 Blue GC Limited - Retired
2018 Bright White GC Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in