EcoDiesel Thoughts - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By onebluemcm

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-21-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Dieseltruck15
2009 WK 

EcoDiesel Thoughts

I'm tossing the idea around of going to look at a 2014 EcoDiesel. What are your thoughts, issues, etc. with the EcoDiesel in the WK2? Any major concerns? The one I would look at has around 55k miles on it.

Any thoughts/inputs are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-21-2018, 02:58 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is a long sticky thread with some discussions.

If you need a diesel, it may be useful. Tons of torque for off road and towing. The emission system can be temperamental, its not that great for simply in town errands. It needs to stretch its legs fairly often. As with all diesels, when things go wrong it will be expensive. Many throw aftermarket tuners and tunes on it and try to delete emission stuff, if your state is OK with that. Makes for a more reliable ride.

Its the same diesel as used in RAM 1500s, where there is a lot more road experience.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 10 Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 PM
charlierh2
2014 WK 

More torque than the v8 and better mileage than the v6. Diesel is the best powertrain in the wk2 lineup.

However, modern diesels have complex emissions systems. A significant proportion of ecodiesel owners run GDE tune to increase reliability and extend life of the vehicle. Price the GDE tune into your purchase, or expect the occasional emissions systems check engine light to pop up.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2018, 01:54 AM
Tafcrcr

I just turned over 34,000 miles on my 2015. I'm not sure what " its not that great for simply in town errands" means. Mine has been flawless. I came off a 2012 SRT JGC which averaged under 9 miles per gallon. Having said that, the torque is amazing on the ecodiesel, and it takes up to three weeks for me to burn a tank of diesel. Mine is coming off the 36 month lease in a few months. Unless the wheels fall off it I'm buying out the lease and keeping it.

Attached Thumbnails
20161024_104233.jpg  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-22-2018, 03:56 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I meant that those that only drive around town seem to have tons of more issues than those that get out on the highway often.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Tafcrcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I meant that those that only drive around town seem to have tons of more issues than those that get out on the highway often.
In my line of work I'm driving neighborhoods, looking at homes, parked for up to 30 minutes at a time with the A/C on while doing research in my ecodiesel JGC. 90% of my miles are short distances. I love it. Are the issues something you've personally experienced or something you've heard about?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2018, 12:20 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafcrcr View Post
In my line of work I'm driving neighborhoods, looking at homes, parked for up to 30 minutes at a time with the A/C on while doing research in my ecodiesel JGC. 90% of my miles are short distances. I love it. Are the issues something you've personally experienced or something you've heard about?
You have a keeper. There are numerous post here, on RAM, and on ecodiesel specific forums where those that have problems seem to be those that don't drive the highway enough to burn out the contaminants. Its not my personal experience, but of those other members and those that hang around the local Jeep/RAM dealers. So the issue is probably over emphasized as most problems are in these forums.

Not saying that more than a very few have had problems. By far most don't have an issue.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-24-2018, 04:31 AM
Bama_WJ

2001 WJ 

Wife picked up a 2014 EcoDiesel Summit about a year ago. It had about 35k on it when we got it and has a little over 50k on it now IIRC. It has been a great Jeep so far. MPG is probably hovering around 27 so far which is great. She will go weeks without filling it up. Its a fantastic road trip vehicle. It has been from Houston to North Alabama 3 or 4 times, Houston to San Antonio once, Houston to Austin a few times and all over the Houston area (which is quite a bit in itself). Its seen its fair share of traffic as well and never had a problem. Never been in regen from what I can remember.

The only thing she has had to mess with is replacing a HVAC actuator that went bad. That was a 30 min job and less than $50. Can't complain about that. I've come to expect HVAC problems out of any Grand we own. Other than that, her WK2 is bone stock. She absolutely loves it.

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Stable: 2001 WJ, 2006 WK, 2006 TJ, 2014 WK2
post #9 of 10 Old 07-24-2018, 08:22 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Love it so far - don't know we will keep it when the extended warranty expires.
Have a look at greendieselengineering if you would like to boost power and limit the eco nannies too.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 AM
onebluemcm
2015 WK 

I had a 2014 that had emissions issues that were eventually resolved by the dealer after probably too many trips to the dealer, that was all probably in the less than 10k mile range. Then at about 30k it developed an oil leak that the dealer could not resolve and we traded it for a '15 Eco. I strongly thought about the hemi because of the issues with mine, and the issues you read about online, but I liked the diesel so much for the power and economy that we went back with it again. I think the oil leak was a fluke, I haven't read about others like it (it was from the joint between iron block and aluminum oil pan/lower skirt, not the more common valve cover leaks).

The '15 has had a GDE tune since 500 miles, and has been flawless through the 26k miles on it so far. I am not fully deleted, but one of the huge factors of the GDE tune is the closing off of the EGR. Limiting soot in the intake and it's degradation effects on engine oil are huge factors to me. I anticipate many more trouble free miles on this '15 but with these, there are some problem areas that a person just never knows if they will rear their ugly heads. More common things I've seen that you just cannot predict if they will occur include spinning rod bearings leading to engine destruction, oil cooler failures which allow oil into the cooling system, EGR cooler failures, which allow coolant into the exhaust destroying the DPF, glow plugs that get stuck and strip out, much less commonly cam gear failures where the cam gear spins on the cam shaft, usually resulting in some measure of destruction. The emissions issues are what they are, but clearly, these aren't exactly "emissions" problems and I've seen at least several reports of each. Having been on vehicle specific forums for virtually all the various vehicles we've had over the years, these rather severe engine issues with the Eco do seems to be at a higher rate than what you might see across the board, but no doubt, they are still uncommon relative to all the EcoDiesels on the road.

My opinion is that it's a great platform, the Grand with the Eco and the 8sp trans. It's just a really great marriage of systems, by far the best Grand Cherokee we've had, and the best SUV we've had. You just have to be aware of the possibility of problems and get the appropriate warranty, unfortunately, I would say that is essentially a necessity if getting a used one, IMO. If you can't get a warranty product that would cover issues like I mentioned above, then I personally would have to really decide if it's worth the risk because I've seen reports of rod bearing failure in the 20k mile range on out to well over 100k miles, and anywhere in between, just as an example of the random nature of the issue. There are also, no doubt, very many that have gone well over 100k with not a single issue. The randomness of the engine problems, and at a rate that I personally think is greater than in the other engines available should be a consideration though (it's not that the pentastar or hemi don't have reports of major engine problems, there are just MANY, many more of them on the road and the rate of these kinds of failures is much lower relative to how many are out there).
Tafcrcr likes this.

'18 Billet Silver Hemi TrailHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in