EcoDiesel Lawsuit & Settlement - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
huwh90jp

EcoDiesel Lawsuit & Settlement

I’m surprised I couldn’t find a discussion on the Ecodiesel lawsuit & settlement. see ecodieselsettlement - up to $3000?!? / extensive additional extended warranty? anyone with a delete or mods is sol. thoughts? concerns? personally I’ve been waiting to reflash my ecm once my warranty runs out. looks like this is going to extend that until 120k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM
kpauley
1974 CJ5 

Class Action was finally approved yesterday (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiat-...192400132.html). I submitted my claim online today, happy to take that $3k check. Could be used towards mods....
post #3 of 46 Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think it was discussed in the diesel sticky thread, but its good to get the word out that they are finally taking claims.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 46 Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Matt_H

Given that they are only giving the full cash once the repair is done, certainly seems that anyone with any mod will not be eligible as they will see it when they go to flash the system. I went through this with a VW diesel, although it was not common for those to be tweaked. In that case, the "repair" flash lowered the gas mileage significantly.
post #5 of 46 Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 AM
csell
2014 WK 

Garage
The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” is a warranty that will apply to all vehicles that
receive an Approved Emissions Modification. It will cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair
the items listed in Appendix E of the Consent Decree, which are also listed here:

Catalysts: Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly; Selective
Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Catalyst

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System: DEF Injector; DEF Injector Controller; DEF Storage Tank;
DEF Delivery Lines; DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand
Cherokee only); DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit

Parts of the Fuel System: Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit; Fuel Injectors; Fuel
Rail; High Pressure Fuel Line; High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit

Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: EGR Cooler Tubes; EGR Cooler; EGR
Valve; EGR Temperature Sensor; EGR Cooler bypass actuator

Other Sensors That Are Covered: Oxygen Sensors; NOx Sensors; Intake Manifold Pressure
Sensor;
Engine
Coolant
Temperature
Sensor;
Fuel/Water
Separator
Sensor;
Intake
Swirl
Actuator
Sensor;
Engine
Camshaft
Position
Sensor;
Engine
Crankshaft
Position
Sensor;
Particulate Matter Sensor; Mass Airflow Sensor; Boost Pressure Sensor; Crankcase Pressure
Sensor; Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor; Throttle Valve; Exhaust Temperature Sensor; DPF
Differential Pressure Sensor

Engine Control Module (Computer)

Transmission Control Module (Computer/Valve Body & Solenoids)

Throttle Valve

Cylinder Head Assembly, including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats, Cam
Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly are not
covered)

Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket

The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual
miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and
mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first
post #6 of 46 Old 05-06-2019, 05:09 PM
NomadJoe

2015 WK 

My recall experience so far. What a nightmare this is turning into. I need to vent.

So my 2015 GC EcoDiesel is my main rental car on Turo. (Turo is like AirBnB but for cars) I got a notice from Turo on Saturday that they were de-listing my car according to new California state law which does not allow vehicles with "open safety recalls" to be used for rideshare/vehicleshare. Not only did they cancel the next weeks bookings, they sent an email to the current renter to return the car due to "Open Safety Recall."!! (Emissions is safety?) I've lost $100's so far.

Turo says that until the vehicles recalls show cleared with NHTSA, I could not rent my vehicle and that it could take 30 days for repairs to show on the NHTSA website. They directed me to www.nhtsa.gov where I entered my VIN which returned "0 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN."!! WTF!?

So I called my local dealer and after getting disconnected 3 times trying to get a service adviser I try my luck with a CS rep. After spending an inordinate amount of time poking around his system the guy was like They had no idea what I was talking about. Then I called another dealer, same. They could find no recall for my VIN. One CS rep mentioned it could be an FCA recall, not a NHTSA recall and that I could check the Mopar website. I suspected this might all be about the emissions settlement I was aware of, but Google searches weren't showing any news as of it as of this morning. CS Rep said he checked the Mopar site with my VIN and there was nothing there, just the old shifter and radio patch from 2015 which I had done long ago. I don't trust him at this point so I go to https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html myself and enter my VIN. Bingo. One active recall issued Friday. "What about that?" I ask. He saw it but dismissed it because there was no "additional information yet." : Is he incompetent or lazy or both? So I click on the "Click on PDF file for information" File is called "V08" Nothing. Dead link.

So it's recommended I call FCA Corporate directly. FCA CS rep also did not know anything but went hunting. Eventually found Fridays recall. Its V08. She doesn't have access to the PDF info either! She is able to confirm it's a software update and that dealers will have the solution tomorrow, May 7th and that there may also be some $$$ available for our troubles. I made an appointment for tomorrow. We will see.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others experiencing the same recall. Hopefully by the time most of you read this the "V08" PDF link at the Mopar site will have a working file on the end of it.
post #7 of 46 Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 AM
expo8282
2014 WK 

Sorry you had a difficult time getting anywhere.

I checked the Mopar site this morning and the V08 pdf is still not available.

I gave the dealership a call and they needed to lookup the recall since they hadn't performed any yet ti make sure everything was ready to go. They cam back on the phone after a couple of minutes and said everything was all set and that it was a software update to the PCM and TCM and there was a sticker (curious to see what that is). Asked if I wanted to come in tomorrow and he recommended that I leave the it for a few hours since it was dependent on the download speed.

Since this is a FCA recall (i.e. internal) there likely won't be a NHTSA recall posting or number. I also suspect that we will all be getting a mailing in the next couple of days with the information.
post #8 of 46 Old 05-09-2019, 06:50 PM
NomadJoe

2015 WK 

Got the Jeep back today. It only took a few hours for them to complete the update. They put a sticker under the hood just like the last recall. Looks like they leave a copy of the V08 PDF in the car. The update will increase DEF consumption and reduce MPG. No surprise there. No noticable changes in the power or shifting. We will see how long it takes for them to update the information on the Mopar site. I asked it be expedited so I can prove to Turo it's done. Looking forward to my $3075 plus 3 days lost income and Uber reimbursement.
Attached Thumbnails
20190509_155518_1557445764602.jpg   20190509_155545_1557445789550.jpg  
post #9 of 46 Old 06-07-2019, 08:44 AM
shamus06
2015 WK 

Thanks for posting this info. I also have a 2015 JGC Diesel Overland, and just had the recall work performed on Monday (4 days ago). After driving about 20 total miles, and leaving the garage for work this morning my engine light came on (not flashing, just constantly lit).
Vehicle drove/performed normally on the drive in (freeway and city streets) but getting to a long stoplight just before work, we noticed the overpowering smell of exhaust in our cabin.

Anyone else who's had the work done notice anything funny?

I called Service at the dealership and they can't see me till mid next week, but wanted to get this out there.
post #10 of 46 Old 06-07-2019, 02:29 PM
WindyCity

Had the recall done on the wife's 16' 2 weeks ago and hasn't run very well since then. It had no power for a few days and popped a couple codes. I cleaned the map sensor that was a mess with only 22k on it and erased codes and has run better but going in to see what they say in a week or so.

Absolutely no issues with the jeep since new and now it runs sluggish not very happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 46 Old 06-08-2019, 08:44 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

If you get the emission recall work done, make sure they perform a forced regen once complete, otherwise the updated ECU will think it is starting with an empty DPF (diesel particulate filter) when it is not.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #12 of 46 Old 06-08-2019, 11:18 AM
WindyCity

Paperwork on mine said regen was completed so we will see. It has been running better last couple days but overall not that happy it definitely drives a little different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 46 Old 06-08-2019, 05:03 PM
ferntree

2014 WK 

My wife just came home with the first regen message it has ever had - so I took it on the freeway for 10 minutes and thrashed it. Seemed to do the trick.
Looking forward to getting the GDE tune as soon as the new version is available. I blame the EPA for all this BS.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #14 of 46 Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 PM
shamus06
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
Paperwork on mine said regen was completed so we will see. It has been running better last couple days but overall not that happy it definitely drives a little different.
I had the miles/mpg dip to prove they did do the regen - but the check engine light message still came. My appointment is on Tuesday, so I’ll keep the group informed what they tell me.
ferntree likes this.
post #15 of 46 Old 06-26-2019, 01:25 PM
shamus06
2015 WK 

*Update*
So my check engine light had nothing to do with the recall work, just weird timing. I had a clamp come off my PCV valve/hose at some point. Fun.

Related to performance, after about 400 miles post-recall everything seems close to normal. I will say the turbo-lag at lower speeds seems slightly more pronounced, but doesn't feel like there is any other major differences.

MPG doesn't seem to have any huge differences either - on a mixed highway/country road trip to the cabin I pulled about 27mpg, vs. about a 27.5/28 mpg I've got in the past. Still trying to get a feel for what MPG looks like for my daily commute in the city, but so far no major call outs.

Related to my rebate, as of today (6/26) my status still shows 'claim under review - submitted successfully' with no update - so mine is clearly taking more time than some other folks here have reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus06 View Post
I had the miles/mpg dip to prove they did do the regen - but the check engine light message still came. My appointment is on Tuesday, so I’ll keep the group informed what they tell me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in