Disappointed with Owner’s Manual in our new Altitude - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

Disappointed with Owner’s Manual in our new Altitude

Am I just too old school or stupid?, but I find it almost funny how many pages explain nothing about the instruments but have dozens of warning boxes advising you what not to do!?

I could not find one page that tells me what all of the controls on the steering wheel are for!

The quality of the manual and print size appear to be merely a requirement to include minimum information for new owners without really explaining anything in detail.

Am I alone in this assessment, and what am I missing?

I guess I’ll just need to sit in the car and hunt & peck to determine what all the buttons are for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

Ok, so I found the Owner’s Manual online all 626 pages!....really? So, you spend big money on a brand new Jeep and you have to go online to learn about it? Ridiculous! I’m glad I’m old school because doing things this way is just dead wrong! Now, I have to kill a tree to print out a manual that I can actually use and keep in the vehicle! Jeeez!
post #3 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 10:28 AM
RicKaysen

Agree! Bought a High Altitude last month and thought the dealer forgot to put a manual in the glove box. Felt cheated finding out it was now MY job to download the thing. Looks cheap to cut corners like that on an expensive SUV. Online docs don't help much when your on the road and need the information only included in the full manual.

post #4 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM
96GrandJeepers

This may help you out ~ a previous thread about getting the full version of the printed manual.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...8-wk2-4342021/

2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus
1996 Grand Cherokee Limited ~ Sold 12/2018
post #5 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Roadijeff

Guys, the owner's manual is available for reading right there on your Uconnect radio. I remember seeing a button to press to read it when I was fiddling with all of the apps and seeing what various things would do.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 06:35 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I was young, the owners manual was a 64 page booklet.

But you are right, these are now written by a$-covering lawyers and have little to do with the practical operation of the vehicle.
w6pea likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #7 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 AM
w6pea

2016 WK 

Garage
When I bought my 2018 JGC, I was given an owners manual and I also go a CD with the manual n it.You just about need a PHD in Jeep to understand the owners manual.

"Without Trucks and Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
"No Better Friend..No Worse Enemy"
post #8 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 AM
airportdave

2018 WK 

When we purchased our '18 JL Rubicon a couple of months ago, it did not come with the full printed owners manual, just a couple of quick reference guides. A quick call to Mopar got the full printed manual sent to me for free. Apparently the full manual is only included on request now.
w6pea likes this.

2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi Lux Group, Active Safety, BSM, Mopar Rock Rails, Chief Skids, LT275/65/18 BFG KO2's, ARB On-Board Air

2018 JL Rubicon 2.0, LED, HD Electric, Trailer Tow, 8.4 Nav, Steel Bumpers, 35" BFG KO2's, Mopar 2" lift, ARB On-Board Air, Warn Zeon 10S Winch
post #9 of 25 Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportdave View Post
When we purchased our '18 JL Rubicon a couple of months ago, it did not come with the full printed owners manual, just a couple of quick reference guides. A quick call to Mopar got the full printed manual sent to me for free. Apparently the full manual is only included on request now.
As it should be, to include the 600+ page manual with each Jeep would be a big waste of money and paper.
airportdave likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

I couldn’t disagree more with that statement! What vehicles cost these days every single one should have a proper owners manual! If there weren’t so many worthless liability “cya” statements and box notations in these things there would be one-half the amount of pages! These cars are way more complicated today so eliminating the manual is simply ludicrous!
w6pea likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 08-16-2019, 03:07 PM
RicKaysen

So....I just called the MOPAR number 800-992-1997. I was told there is a program supplying free, complete owners manuals to new, first owners and the rep I spoke with was helpful. She said I can expect my manual in 7 to 10 business days.
w6pea likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

I ordered one as well.....was told UPS would deliver it in 2 to 4 weeks....I wonder who you talked with? lol! Let’s hope 7 to 10 business days is what it will really take!
post #13 of 25 Old 08-19-2019, 06:56 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
I couldn’t disagree more with that statement! What vehicles cost these days every single one should have a proper owners manual! If there weren’t so many worthless liability “cya” statements and box notations in these things there would be one-half the amount of pages! These cars are way more complicated today so eliminating the manual is simply ludicrous!
They did not eliminate the manual, they just put it online which most people would rather in todays world. For the few people that still want a printed version, all you have to do is ask and they send you one. I dont really see the problem.
w6pea likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 AM
RicKaysen

"They did not eliminate the manual, they just put it online which most people would rather in todays world. For the few people that still want a printed version, all you have to do is ask and they send you one. I dont really see the problem."

Looking up an issue on a computer from the comfort of your living room is one thing. If I'm broke down in the dark, I'm grateful for a printed manual and a flashlight. Good luck squinting at your smart phone for an answer.
w6pea and 96OrvisEd like this.
post #15 of 25 Old 08-19-2019, 09:50 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its a rare person that would look at the manual regardless, but for those that do... just order a hard copy. Be prepared. BTW, I carry an iPad, so I don't have to squint .... but when you are outside of cell service... .
w6pea likes this.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.....
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in