Diesel Discussion and Info - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 529 Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Pensfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: arvada
Posts: 54
Gonna be honest....as a diesel owner this is disappointing. I really like my GC, but I was hoping for a VW buyback or a healthy trade option. The GC works well for me, but the diesel is not a good vehicle for a city car due to the exhaust issues and it seems like I get a CEL all the time in it. Im also not convinced JEEP has qualified mechanics to work on a diesel if needed. Now that the Trailhawk is out.....Id take one in a V8 over my limited.

Pensfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #317 of 529 Old 08-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Tafcrcr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
Gonna be honest....as a diesel owner this is disappointing. I really like my GC, but I was hoping for a VW buyback or a healthy trade option. The GC works well for me, but the diesel is not a good vehicle for a city car due to the exhaust issues and it seems like I get a CEL all the time in it. Im also not convinced JEEP has qualified mechanics to work on a diesel if needed. Now that the Trailhawk is out.....Id take one in a V8 over my limited.
I respectfully disagree. And what "exhaust issues" are you referring to? I have 23,000 miles on my 2015 JGC and have yet to have an "exhaust issue." The same ecodiesel is also used in the RAM 1500 trucks, so I doubt there is a shortage of qualified mechanics.

As long as diesels are available I'll pick one over a gas powered vehicle. The ecodiesel has more torque than the V8 hemis except for the SRT, and it gets better mileage than the six cylinder options. And diesel is less expensive. I love the low pm torque. When the lease is up on mine, if there are no diesel options available in the JGC, I'm buying my lease out and keeping it.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep 3.jpg  
Tafcrcr is offline  
post #318 of 529 Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 17,916
He's talking about the regen inconvenience when you don't do much highway driving. The one that can strand you out in nowhereville if you are not paying attention. Same thing happens for RAMs, regardless of engine source. Even the ice road truckers were stranded on a semi-frozen lake waiting for the regen cycle to complete. The EPA mandated emission controls are killing an otherwise superior power plant.

For decades (with the Cummins), some dealers have excellent diesel techs, some don't. Most of them get by, but most of them have only one qualified tech... so when he goes on vacation it may be a wait for service..

Its a good motor for its intended use, but real world cost and cost risk are often left out of the comparisons... it is a rationalization after all. If you want a diesel buy one. Don't bother trying to rationalize it on cost savings as any rationalization for gas or diesel can be shot full of holes... most of the time you are lucky, but when things go badly wrong... it can be a $$$ disaster.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
 
post #319 of 529 Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Tafcrcr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 205
I'll take my chances. Just have a good extended warranty. But I have to like what I drive, and for me the regen hasn't changed my life and neither have any other of the so called issue haunting the ecodiesels. The torque is amazing and the fact that I don't have to hassle with filling the tank much more than once every two weeks works for me. If I start having problems then I'll revisit my opinion, but mine has been nothing short of amazing. And I drive it pretty hard....all the time.
Tafcrcr is offline  
post #320 of 529 Old 08-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Captain_Paul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
I have 40 some odd thousand on my '16 and wouldn't trade it straight up for a brand new GC with any gasser power plant. Not sure why anyone would buy one if all they did was short stop and go city driving. I get 700 miles per tank and usually over 30 mpg. I have lots of power and can tow. No other engine comes close for me.
Mevans010 likes this.
Captain_Paul is offline  
post #321 of 529 Old 08-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Pensfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: arvada
Posts: 54
Yeah it's the region issue. Had me stranded 2x now and forces to find a HW 2 other times. I do mostly HW driving, however my wife does not so its useless for her if she uses it. It's a work vehicle for me and I can expense fuel so the savings are not really important to me. I could drive a raptor if I wanted to. I had to wait a week on a diesel mechanic. Although CO has an issue trying to find employees that can pass a drug test so that was another issue on the delays for repairs.

That said, its a great engine, unfortunately the EPA wants to kill diesels. Driving it up 70 to go skiing is amazing! Too bad to get the good MPG you had to break the rules.

From what I understand FCA can sell diesels in the GC and Ram moving forward but the earlier models 14-16 might still be illegal? The software update hasn't been approved yet?
Pensfan is offline  
post #322 of 529 Old 08-12-2017, 07:53 PM
bpbpimajeep14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 153
I deleted mine and have the GDE ecm in it. Totally different vehicle now.
Mevans010 likes this.
bpbpimajeep14 is offline  
post #323 of 529 Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 PM
t9alle1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
I have also had great difficulty determining the cylinder numbers in my 2014 WK2 Ecodiesel. My jeep recently threw a P0671 DTC (Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit/open). The check engine light and the glow plug icon were illuminated. After failing to identify the #1 cylinder through endless internet and jeep forum searching, I proceeded to remove the glow plug caps from all glow plugs and test each one with a multi-meter. All plugs tested "good" so I placed all of the plug caps back on the plugs and started her up. Upon ignition, no more check engine light and no more glow plug icon.

So my advice to all with glow plug issues: Remove all 6 plug caps, clean them and the plug heads, and then place them back on the plugs before attempting any other repairs. You may just save yourself a good deal of time and money!
t9alle1 is offline  
post #324 of 529 Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM
sdesert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesert View Post
Asked my dealer to order a 2017 diesel JGC and was told they couldn't order yet. Anyone know when Jeep will open up ordering for diesel rigs?
Anyone?
sdesert is offline  
post #325 of 529 Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 AM
Tafcrcr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 205
My guess is they are gearing up for 2018 production.
Tafcrcr is offline  
post #326 of 529 Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Yost256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
P2021 Swirl Valve issue resolved

After not being able to find any info online about an issue I had with my Ecodiesel recently, I figured I'd put this info out as I got the run around from the dealer. So I am still cover under the 5yr/100k Power-train warranty: I recently threw a P2021 code. Its a faulty Swirl Valve/actuator sensor. The dealer punched in this part to his computer, and says "I'm sorry this is not covered" I'm like WTF, you gotta be kidding me. Long story short, and after multiple convos with other dealerships, the conclusion: IT IS COVERED. If anyone else has this issue, make the dealer "give you a part number" for the that sensor..they can't because its part of the whole intake manifold, which is covered under that warranty. Tell them to dig up the Techview or whatever Chrysler/Jeep mechanics use to get the step by step procedures..go to the last page of that procedure and sure enough its says right there "if the swirl valve is diagnosed faulty, the entire intake manifold needs replacement"..figured I'd get this info out as most of the dealers I spoke to about this seemed very confused, but we finally got to the bottom of it and I'll gladly pay the 100 deductible over $1400 which is what they were quoting me..
Mevans010 likes this.
Yost256 is offline  
post #327 of 529 Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Bekim
98 5.9
 
Bekim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yost256 View Post
After not being able to find any info online about an issue I had with my Ecodiesel recently, I figured I'd put this info out as I got the run around from the dealer. So I am still cover under the 5yr/100k Power-train warranty: I recently threw a P2021 code. Its a faulty Swirl Valve/actuator sensor. The dealer punched in this part to his computer, and says "I'm sorry this is not covered" I'm like WTF, you gotta be kidding me. Long story short, and after multiple convos with other dealerships, the conclusion: IT IS COVERED. If anyone else has this issue, make the dealer "give you a part number" for the that sensor..they can't because its part of the whole intake manifold, which is covered under that warranty. Tell them to dig up the Techview or whatever Chrysler/Jeep mechanics use to get the step by step procedures..go to the last page of that procedure and sure enough its says right there "if the swirl valve is diagnosed faulty, the entire intake manifold needs replacement"..figured I'd get this info out as most of the dealers I spoke to about this seemed very confused, but we finally got to the bottom of it and I'll gladly pay the 100 deductible over $1400 which is what they were quoting me..

Wow, awesome! How many miles did you have on your jeep? And I thought it came with a lifetime powertrain warranty?

P.S. The swirl valves probably got junked up from the oil passing thru, I think. Maybe all the ecodiesels will have this issue sooner or later. I hope not
Bekim is offline  
post #328 of 529 Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 17,916
Someone was looking for cylinder identification awhile ago and I found this in the training course. Firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 4.39.51 PM.jpg  

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #329 of 529 Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 PM
DRAX392
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Monticello
Posts: 100
EDIT: It looks like the WK2 ED has a radiator-style oil cooler mounted in the cooling stack, not an oil cooler "brick" that uses coolant to help cool the oil like the Ram 1500 ED. That's a relief and is my main concern with the 1500, so it sounds like the WK2 ED may be a bit more reliable due to this difference alone.

So, the other day my wife mentioned the idea of getting her a WK2 EcoDiesel to replace her 2012 Pilot that how has over 100k miles and is due for a timing belt, etc., and her liking the look of them. I'm likely going to end up with a Ram 1500 ED in the near future as well, but I've noticed there have been issues on the Ram side with oil coolers being defective over time and eventually leaking oil into the coolant which prompts FCA to replace the engine, oil cooler, etc under warranty as long as it's still within the 3/36 basic warranty.

Is this oil cooler problem happening with, say, the 2015+ WK2 EDs as well or does the WK2 use a different oil cooler than the 1500 ED? I'd love to get my wife into an ED but I'm hesitant since I don't know if the WK2 is prone to the same issues. I'm aware that there's the "regen" issue for short trips/city driving and that's not an issue, I'm more curious about major parts failures. Worst case I get her into a 3.6 WK2 that gets, what, 2-4mpg worse than the ED?

I love diesels, and we do tow and do road trips, but having not owned an ED (I've owned multiple Cummins trucks) I'm a little nervous about reliability and wonder if getting two ED vehicles is just asking for trouble. As mentioned, would be looking at probably a 2015 model for her.

Thanks!

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (WK), 4.7L V8, QTII
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
DRAX392 is offline  
post #330 of 529 Old 10-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Pensfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: arvada
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAX392 View Post
EDIT: It looks like the WK2 ED has a radiator-style oil cooler mounted in the cooling stack, not an oil cooler "brick" that uses coolant to help cool the oil like the Ram 1500 ED. That's a relief and is my main concern with the 1500, so it sounds like the WK2 ED may be a bit more reliable due to this difference alone.

So, the other day my wife mentioned the idea of getting her a WK2 EcoDiesel to replace her 2012 Pilot that how has over 100k miles and is due for a timing belt, etc., and her liking the look of them. I'm likely going to end up with a Ram 1500 ED in the near future as well, but I've noticed there have been issues on the Ram side with oil coolers being defective over time and eventually leaking oil into the coolant which prompts FCA to replace the engine, oil cooler, etc under warranty as long as it's still within the 3/36 basic warranty.

Is this oil cooler problem happening with, say, the 2015+ WK2 EDs as well or does the WK2 use a different oil cooler than the 1500 ED? I'd love to get my wife into an ED but I'm hesitant since I don't know if the WK2 is prone to the same issues. I'm aware that there's the "regen" issue for short trips/city driving and that's not an issue, I'm more curious about major parts failures. Worst case I get her into a 3.6 WK2 that gets, what, 2-4mpg worse than the ED?

I love diesels, and we do tow and do road trips, but having not owned an ED (I've owned multiple Cummins trucks) I'm a little nervous about reliability and wonder if getting two ED vehicles is just asking for trouble. As mentioned, would be looking at probably a 2015 model for her.

Thanks!
I had a 15' ED GC Limited. It ran pretty well and the MPG was amazing! I drove from Denver to northern Michigan on 2 tanks! It was a great engine for going up I70 to ski, tons of torque at that altitude no effort at all climbing mountains. That said, I use to own one.

If its not a High Way car its useless. Your exhaust will need to regenerate or the exhaust filter will fail and the car will go into limp mode. So a year ago I was up a long winding road and had a warning to drive HW speeds to regenerate. No HW within an hr from me so the car then went into limp mode (30 MPH) took me 4 hours to get to a dealer and then $450 later it was fixed.......until it happened again. A few times I was able to hit a HW for 30 mins until the warning went off, but its extremely inconvenient with a baby or dog in the car or if you have an appointment......

The other issue was the CEL was constantly on. Usually for something minor, but JEEP took forever to make an appointment and you couldn't just stop by for them to tell you what the indicator was. The other issue was lack of Diesel techs at my local JEEP. The last 6 months I had it, I had made 5 appointments for various things and usually a JEEP tech was unavailable. Im not convinced JEEP has the maintenance set up to service these vehicles. If you share with a Ram dealer then it might be better.

Finally JEEP might be sold to a Chinese or Indian company....huge red flag for me. I loved everything about the JEEP and if I had a V8 or V6 id still have the car. But for our family needs and the headaches it wasnt worth it IMO. We did need something larger.

Finally when buying a diesel......how long will it take to pay off $4,700 worth of fuel?
Pensfan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome