Dealer Rant - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Thumbs down Dealer Rant

As much as I love my '17 Trailhawk I've reached a point where I've lost faith and all respect for the local dealers. Now mind you I've only been to two, but the next closest dealer is over 30 miles (and over an hour in traffic) away.

I bought it CPO'd from Cr**n Dodge Jeep and was not unhappy with the purchase until it stranded me 1 month later with a failed water pump while in LA on business. Fortunately I limped it into LA Jeep/Ram before it had to be towed and explained to them I was over 60 miles from home and not going anywhere until it got replaced. They jumped right on it and I was on the road again by lunch.

Obviously not the fault of the selling dealer, but it revealed that Cr**n had screwed up the Mopar warranty paperwork and it was registered to the original owner!!! Calling Mopar direct was a complete waste of time. I had to make 2 trips to Cr**n to finally get someone to correct who owns the warranty on it!

Fast forward to this past July. I started noticing the suspension sometimes lower overnight and the compressor randomly running, but no codes (yet). This is in addition to the occasional rough shift into reverse, a sometimes squeaky front end end, a failure of the rear hatch to open on the first press of the remote, and a rattle in the rear that is driving me nuts.

I talked to Cr**n about all these issues and wanted to get it all looked at before running out of the factory 3/36 warranty. Admittedly mostly minor stuff, but none of which existed when I bought it 6 months earlier. Knowing it would be at least a couple of days to address everything I was given a rental from the Hertz office next door.

Unfortunately it turned out be a stripper Caravan. Ughhh.

After a week, i tried calling for an update. Left on hold for several minutes before someone picked up and then hung up on me. Tried again and was left on hold so long I eventually had to hang up myself to answer a business call. Tried a few more times and eventually drove over to see what the status was. No one could tell me since my service writer was supposed to be working that day but could not be located (no kidding). I left after 20 minutes but talked to the nice lady who made my original appointment and asked that someone call me.

They didn't.

Tried again two days later, same phone run around. The wife tried while I was busy with work and also was hung up on. Now in the second week and having no information about what's going on but a Hertz office wanting their rental, I went back and did catch my service guy who had nothing to say except they are totally buried and don't worry, he would call Hertz and extend the rental.

He didn't.

Two days after that I got a threatening message from Hertz about the rental.

Now I'm starting to see red. Made one call and was put on hold. That lasted about 5 minutes before I hung up and drove there.

Again.

More excuses and no apologies. Into the third week now and I said I'm not paying for a stripped Dodge Caravan and Hertz wanted it back so they swap me into a 2019 V6 GC. Better, but no Hemi Trailhawk. I was allowed to walk back to see where the tech. was on completing the repairs. He said the factory could not tell them what was going on with the suspension and they're a "real bear" to work on. Huh??? What about the squeaky front end and other items??? I was told there's a TSB for the squeak but hadn't looked at anything else?!?!?!?

In two and a half weeks???

Now that I'm approaching 1 month in the shop, I stopped calling/visiting because I'm fully prepared to pursue a lemon law case. Just 2 days before it would be a full 30 days, I get a text from the service writer saying it's done.

It wasn't.

Quadralift was "reprogrammed" and two fittings were "tightened" to solve leaks. No indication that the charge was checked or adjusted. Rear hatch received a software update along with the transmission. Could not duplicate rear rattle or squeaky front end even though I was told there was a TSB for it!! The funny thing is, the squeak is the ONLY thing that appears fixed. The suspension didn't settle overnight but still seemed to have excessive compressor run time. I never heard it run while parked when I bought it. It has also "frozen" in OR2 while testing and only lowered itself after driving it fast enough, but it hasn't locked up since. Rear hatch? Same. Unlocks and opens remotely about 7-8 times out of 10. It unlocks, fails to open, then re-locks the rest of the time. Trans? Same. About every 1 out of 10 times it will slam into reverse pretty hard, but probably not hard enough to cause damage. I just make sure it's off it's fast idle before ever putting it in reverse. I get back to the service writer and tell him what the results are and he says he could arrange to have a tech ride with me to try to find the rattle. Of course I didn't hear back so I followed up with a text a couple of days later.

I never heard back from him.

The rattle in the rear is still driving me crazy so I take a drive to the next closest dealer Sha**r Chrysler Jeep about 25 miles away. Talk to the service manager who listens to my story. He laughs and says the other guys pull that on everyone. Work that customers pay for comes first, new sales issues/problems second, and all other warranty stuff just sits around until they can get to it.

That sounds about right.

So I ask him if I can make an appointment to just get that damned rattle fixed if nothing else. Of course he says yes and sends me to their nice lady who makes appointments. Eight days later I show up bright and early for my appointment and why I was told 7:30 is a mystery. They don't actually have any techs arrive until 8. OK, the service writer asks if I need a ride? I tell him how far away I am and that kills any chance of a ride home but he says, he will let the tech know I'm waiting.

Three hours later my Jeep is still sitting in the same spot they parked it in back.

I ask what's up with that, and basically was told to plan on leaving it.

Thanks for the heads up guys!!!

So it's there all day last Friday and I hear nothing by Tuesday and call service, leaving a message of course.

By now, I'm sure everyone can guess the results. Having no repair ticket but the assistant service manager's card I call and leave him a message Wednesday.

Drum roll please.........................

No call.

Now a full week and zero information or calls later, I'm getting dropped off to pick it up today knowing it isn't fixed or even diagnosed. This is probably due to the same reason it took Cr**n a month to do practically nothing to it. Work customer pays for comes first, new sales and due bill items second, and warranty whenever we feel like getting off our butts and we get around to it.

I'm cancelling my Mopar warranty and stashing the funds for my local independent shop to work on it when necessary.

Rant over.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 11:10 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Damn. You have to read threads like this to see what can really happen "out there."

This is why I try and DIY as much as I can. Seems like no one wants to help and make things happen. Customer service is a thing of the past.

When I got mine the stealer REALLY pushed the extended warranty and I had to keep declining. I kept telling them the warranty is never honored and is usually a bunch of BS. And I did get left stranded 5 days later. With the help of this site I got it running right.
post #3 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 11:11 AM
grayWJ4x4
1936 CJ2A 

So sorry about all the hassle. My only advice is to make a video of everything you are talking about and get a lemon lawyer.
Iíve owned many cars and every time I have an issue regardless how big or small it is I make a video of it and take to the service. I donít wanna hear that we couldnít replicate the noise / problem bs.
I just show them the video and tell them to fix it.
And the best part is you can send it to the service guy, your lemon lawyer and post it on line for everyone to see.

post #4 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I find this hard to believe - hertz has a stripped caravan in their fleet?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I doubt there's much I can do on the suspension unless I want to specifically take it to yet another dealer until I hit the magic 30 days in the shop. The rest would probably not win me a lemon law case.

I figure the rear hatch just needs an adjustment to get it to pop far enough so it doesn't re-lock. The 2019 rental actually banged into reverse worse and more often than mine so that is probably what we call an "undocumented feature" in the controls business and cannot be fixed. The suspension is the thing that worries me. My Mopar warranty fund will never cover major repairs by even a third party. I can't tell if the rattle is rear suspension or body related but it's extremely annoying. I'm now doubting my plan to keep the TH until I trade it for the next generation GC.

This has been such an odyssey I half expect Alan Funt to pop out from around a corner to tell me it was all a joke for the cameras...............

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #6 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

keep a good attitude.

thank you "undocumented feature" I learned something.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #7 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 PM
PwnCall

Garage
I’ve heard a lot of stories about fca dealers being terrible.

It’s ****ty because they know the more they give people the run around and waste their time the more likely they are to not follow through and get the warranty work done.

They try and waste so much of your time that you eventually give up. Get everything in writing so you have a record of it before your warranty is up.

Also you should call their corporate line for fca.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I agree, but LA Dodge/Jeep did a great job on the water pump. I limp in as they open with steam coming out of everywhere with no APPOINTMENT, and they blow out a water pump replacement in 4 hours and cleaned up the mess under the hood like a friggin' detailer was on it. Until there's something that can do everything my Trailhawk does, I'm never giving up.
w6pea likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #9 of 39 Old 10-12-2019, 10:00 AM
w6pea
Grumpy Old Fart Marine

2019 WK 

Garage
I feel the OP's pain, when my wife and I bought our 2016 JGC Overland the dealer that sold it to us raped us. But on the other hand, when it was stolen they came forward and helped us with documentation of everything that our insurance company was not going to pay for in recovery settlement. So how do you go. I don't really think the Mopar Lifetime warranty is worth the cost, but on our Dodge B150 Van we got the lifetime warranty and it saved our backsides for the coast of a transmission ,steering system a water pump to name a few so I guess the real story is you work with one dealer that screws the pooch and then you get another dealer that treat you like your Lee Iacocca of Chrysler Fame.
Our JGC was stolen we are getting ready to replace it. Hey everybody have a great day.

"Without Trucks & Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"
."Semper Fi"
"Once A Marine Always A Marine"

2019 JGC 5.7L Hemi
post #10 of 39 Old 10-12-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Possibly a bit of good news on getting it back from Sha**r. I met a nice guy I didn't see when I dropped it off. The "Service lane manager" told me he had driven it himself and after hearing the noise, he looked up a TSB on the rear struts and suspension that showed two pictures of upper bushings. One normal and one "bad". He said you have to take out a lot of the interior to even see them and they hadn't done that nor did they have the replacement parts. One look and his description of where they are and I know that's my problem. I picked it up anyway and now that I'm almost positive I have my answer, I'll be taking it back to Cr**n to see if they're willing to take it apart and fix it while I'm in a loaner again. Hoping for the best.
w6pea likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #11 of 39 Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
Possibly a bit of good news on getting it back from Sha**r. I met a nice guy I didn't see when I dropped it off. The "Service lane manager" told me he had driven it himself and after hearing the noise, he looked up a TSB on the rear struts and suspension that showed two pictures of upper bushings. One normal and one "bad". He said you have to take out a lot of the interior to even see them and they hadn't done that nor did they have the replacement parts. One look and his description of where they are and I know that's my problem. I picked it up anyway and now that I'm almost positive I have my answer, I'll be taking it back to Cr**n to see if they're willing to take it apart and fix it while I'm in a loaner again. Hoping for the best.
Hi Fast55.
We regret to learn about your experience. Should you need additional assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
Jeep Cares
post #12 of 39 Old 10-15-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
This is actually a Star publication, not a TSB. Case #S1817000003 from 7/24/18 is for strut mount bushing failure. I was going to look up the parts and see about changing them myself but the sheet I was given does not list the part numbers in question and I find no drawings on line from Mopar parts direct that point me in the right direction. It just shows the 2 pictures to give you an "OK" condition and the other a "bushing separated" condition so I guess I will have to return to a dealer and see if they agree and will address it.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #13 of 39 Old 10-16-2019, 12:28 AM
badtux

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sadly typical of Chiseler dealers. Apparently Chiseler pays so crappy for warranty work that they can't afford enough techs to handle all the warranty work generated by the crappy build quality of Chiseler cars. It's a shame, because FCA actually has some cars that are worth looking at that I've strongly considered trading in my current car to buy one. But with the sad state of their dealer network, I'm just going to hold on to my 2012 Wrangler until it falls apart, then buy something from a brand that actually has reliability and dealers that believe in customer service. Maybe a Toyota. Dunno yet, still thinking about it. But not FCA. Dealing with their dealership network is just too frustrating.
underscore likes this.

Dog: Man's best friend. Cat: Man's weird reclusive roommate who poops in a box.
post #14 of 39 Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 AM
JCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
Sadly typical of Chiseler dealers. Apparently Chiseler pays so crappy for warranty work that they can't afford enough techs to handle all the warranty work generated by the crappy build quality of Chiseler cars. It's a shame, because FCA actually has some cars that are worth looking at that I've strongly considered trading in my current car to buy one. But with the sad state of their dealer network, I'm just going to hold on to my 2012 Wrangler until it falls apart, then buy something from a brand that actually has reliability and dealers that believe in customer service. Maybe a Toyota. Dunno yet, still thinking about it. But not FCA. Dealing with their dealership network is just too frustrating.
Newsflash mate, ALL DEALERS are crap FROM ALL MANUFACTURERS. Unless you buy a hand built multi $100k vehicle youíre gonna have a crap dealer/service network and a chance for your mostly robot assembled vehicle to have problems. There is no major trouble free brand, they all have their problems. I took enough trade-ins from all manufacturers back when I was a car salesman to see nobody is immune to problems. While FCA has mgmt issues and like GM & Ford lacking direction they are just the same as anyone else.

Donít take all the complaining online or BS JD Power ratings as any sort of indicator of quality, you only hear about problems and not the millions of happy customers. Donít get me started on the JD Power thing either, Iím in market research now and Iíve run their (poorly designed) surveys in the past and provided them the dataódata they interpret differently than what was collected for an agenda.

I get that this is all anecdotal and the internets and all but I get highly annoyed when someone says one is better than the other because they just simply arenít.
w6pea likes this.
post #15 of 39 Old 10-16-2019, 07:51 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
... Apparently Chiseler pays so crappy for warranty work ... then buy something from a brand that actually has reliability and dealers that believe in customer service. Maybe a Toyota. ...
All manufactures do not pay dealers well enough for warranty work, usually by allowing a short flat rate time. You won't find any that do. I have a couple Nephews that are techs, Toyota seems to be the worse. Why do you think they pay better, know any techs there?
w6pea likes this.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in