Dealer oil change fail - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
kryogen
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,183
Dealer oil change fail

Had my oil changed at the dealership today, I was told that there was a delay because "the old oil filter gasket stuck to the car, so when he put the new one on and started the jeep, oil slashed everywhere and he had to fix that".

So I said, why didn't the tech remove the old gasket, you always have to check that when you change an oil filter.

To which he replied, well it was an aftermarket oil filter so that's why it got stuck.
(Fram ultra synthetic filter, lubed oring and hand tight....)


To which I replied, that doesn't make sense, your tech simply did not check a simple thing that he should have checked.

To which he replied, well he told me the oil filter is hard to access on that car.

To which I replied, that's BS, I change my oil and it's not hard to access, and it's not hard to check if the old gasket is on the old filter or if it's not there.

So I left with a jeep smoking oil (because it splashed everywhere on the exhaust system). I also have to say that they didn't reset the oil change alert, and they were nice enough to spread some oil on the inside door leather also.

Wow, that's an oil change at the dealer. You think that you are leaving your car to professionnals, and the guy doesn't even look if he left the old gasket there. That's insanely basic dumb.

I hope that the engine didn't get too low on oil before they realized that, because now what, my engine is going to die on me and they will blame it on the aftermarket oil filter?

I'm never going back there for an oil change.


2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
kryogen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,720
Even good techs can have a bad day... but its frustrating for sure, especially the BS.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Nonstop
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mouth of the Rat
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Even good techs can have a bad day... but its frustrating for sure, especially the BS.
Really that's what you're going with? A bad day? It's an oil filter gasket, isn't the hemi a canister style, ten billion served? The gasket in question is the seal that's built into the filter itself? First, Kryogen, you know to lube the gasket before installing it, right, if he did its very uncommon even on inferior filters that it would stay on the block, it happens.

Dunno, you must really like Fiat if you'll call the single most repetitive job in a dealers bag of tricks something they're even allowed a bad day on. Maybe some fingerprints on paint or a dirty rag left in the engine bay.
Unless Kryogen is leaving out very pertinent info, cheap eBay knockoff filter, no lube, over tightening, overheating.....or I'm just not hearing your over sympathetic bs coverage on this one, a monkey could actually do an oil change if you color coded the tools..and he'd likely wipe up the mess better.

Anyone in the field would know there's the remaining flat ring on the block, it's an insane rarity that the remaining gasket would line up and sit right under compression, you'd notice the feel, unless you where having a "bad day". Not looking at the old filter, I see that, not having an ounce of automotive experience before working on vehicles, your "bad day". Stop the bs call a bad day when it's not something that should be called bad training..

I don't drink but drunk you'd accomplish the same thing. So let's assume our monkey was a six pack or a fatty deep, very likely, it's a handful of steps, what am I forgetting, I'm having a bad day...

Remove fill cap
Remove plug
Remove filter
Drain/smoke/drink/bs
Inspect and clean filter mounting surface and plug for....
Reinstall filter and plug.
Fill
Cap
Oh sh-t I forgot "open hood".

Stop the excuses, lets rule out, talking with other "techs", talking on the phone, ignorance, disrespect, continued bad workmanship, bad training, no skills or aptitude, bad attitude, then I'll go with bad day. I'm rarely on the customers side as I hear the garbage all the time.

When you say "a bad day" about everything, they'll all be bad days. Sack up eggs get broken.

2000 WJ 5.2 V8
2011 WK2 V6
Nonstop is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 10:27 AM
2kg4u
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
Really that's what you're going with? A bad day? It's an oil filter gasket, isn't the hemi a canister style, ten billion served? The gasket in question is the seal that's built into the filter itself? First, Kryogen, you know to lube the gasket before installing it, right, if he did its very uncommon even on inferior filters that it would stay on the block, it happens.

Dunno, you must really like Fiat if you'll call the single most repetitive job in a dealers bag of tricks something they're even allowed a bad day on. Maybe some fingerprints on paint or a dirty rag left in the engine bay.
Unless Kryogen is leaving out very pertinent info, cheap eBay knockoff filter, no lube, over tightening, overheating.....or I'm just not hearing your over sympathetic bs coverage on this one, a monkey could actually do an oil change if you color coded the tools..and he'd likely wipe up the mess better.

Anyone in the field would know there's the remaining flat ring on the block, it's an insane rarity that the remaining gasket would line up and sit right under compression, you'd notice the feel, unless you where having a "bad day". Not looking at the old filter, I see that, not having an ounce of automotive experience before working on vehicles, your "bad day". Stop the bs call a bad day when it's not something that should be called bad training..

I don't drink but drunk you'd accomplish the same thing. So let's assume our monkey was a six pack or a fatty deep, very likely, it's a handful of steps, what am I forgetting, I'm having a bad day...

Remove fill cap
Remove plug
Remove filter
Drain/smoke/drink/bs
Inspect and clean filter mounting surface and plug for....
Reinstall filter and plug.
Fill
Cap
Oh sh-t I forgot "open hood".

Stop the excuses, lets rule out, talking with other "techs", talking on the phone, ignorance, disrespect, continued bad workmanship, bad training, no skills or aptitude, bad attitude, then I'll go with bad day. I'm rarely on the customers side as I hear the garbage all the time.

When you say "a bad day" about everything, they'll all be bad days. Sack up eggs get broken.
Wow. Now I know why you picked Nonstop for your forum name.

Roy
2014 Overland, 3.6 L
Fumoto Qwikvalve, Ionic CXV running boards, Michelin X-Ice Xi2 snow tires
2kg4u is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
kryogen
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,183
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter
I did apply oil on the gasket
It was just hand tight

But seriously, no matter what the filter is, not checking for the old gasket is just bad work.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
kryogen is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 10:44 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,720
Leaving the old gasket on is fairly common and removing it has sometimes been overlooked by even the most experienced wrenches. Sometimes its doesn't get caught until weeks later when they blow out out. Usually in the most desolate spots on the highway where your first indication is an oil pressure light. Sounds like the tech did not over tighten the filter as most speedy shops do, so the blowout happened pretty quick. No damage, just messy.

No excuse for the BS the service writer was offering, however.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM
metalhead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southampton, Pa
Posts: 1,677
Unless you have worked at a dealership as a mechanic you don't know how crazy it is. I was a mechanic at a jeep dealership and especially on Saturdays when they had only half the crew working I would end up working on 3 to 4 cars at the same time. The only way you make money when paid flat rate is to get as many jobs done as you can. So mistakes happen.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
metalhead is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 04:04 PM
caulk04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greenville
Posts: 3,411
Generally, the good techs aren't doing oil changes.

That said, how do you not wipe the mounting surface off before installing a new filter? I guess it's just the way I am, attention to detail.

Quality before quantity.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
caulk04 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 PM
rmcalis
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Unless you have worked at a dealership as a mechanic you don't know how crazy it is. I was a mechanic at a jeep dealership and especially on Saturdays when they had only half the crew working I would end up working on 3 to 4 cars at the same time. The only way you make money when paid flat rate is to get as many jobs done as you can. So mistakes happen.
Doesn't take too much time to look at the filter you just removed to see if it still has the gasket on it or not.
rmcalis is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 03-05-2016, 03:35 AM
101gargoyles
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pickering Ont.
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcalis View Post

Doesn't take too much time to look at the filter you just removed to see if it still has the gasket on it or not.
Hell Yah
Why do it right? Just get ER dun and work on 4 cars at a time.
Oh man that's a race to the bottom of the ladder. Take the money and run.
Tech makes nothing and boss gets richer.
Customer comes back peed off yelling.
101gargoyles is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM
metalhead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southampton, Pa
Posts: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcalis View Post
Doesn't take too much time to look at the filter you just removed to see if it still has the gasket on it or not.
I agree but for the most part I would say 80 to 90 % of the time the gasket comes off with the filter. So when your rushed to get the job done because the customer is in a hurry and the service writer is pushing you mistakes happen. Trust me I could go on and on about the things I have seen. When I was working at the dealership I made sure I did the job right. Then I would get yelled at by the boss because I was too slow and also not selling enough services. That's why I got out of it.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
metalhead is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 AM
norge2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Clayton
Posts: 121
That's why I do my own service. Today less people know anything mechanical on their cars. Dealers treat you like someone who has no knowledge and always try to feed you a line of BS to make a sale. I am not saying all dealers are bad, but we the consumer have become uneducated and unaware as a whole over the last few decades. Remember adage buyer be ware. In this case the thread originator was knowledgeable and the service writer tried to feed him BS to cover a mistake. There is no shame in making a mistake as long as honest and you make good on it to customer. Again something lost in today's world of lost customer service.
norge2000 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 03-08-2016, 06:21 AM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,938
When I was an undergrad I watched one of my fraternity brothers make the same mistake.

The funny part was that I was an arts student and he a self proclaimed gear head and engineering student (at one of the more prominent engineering universities on the east coast).

He started it, saw the spraying oil, and immediately thought he'd toasted something. I reached down and showed him the old gasket hanging half free under the oil filter and started laughing.

I remind him about it to this day (he's been an Industrial Engineer for a few decades now).

Anyway, I paid my way through college as a tech and wound up with dozens of them working for me after school. Besides the crap I saw when working the crap they'd tell me about years later ugh, makes me very skeptical on the rare occasion I let someone else touch my vehicles.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Kev M is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 PM
MattXJ
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 335
My dealer took 3 oil changes before they were able to get a slow leak at the filter to stop. They also proceeded to put 9qts in, when spec says dry capacity is 7. Then they "lost" the remaining 1qt of unused oil (I had left them 2x 5qt jugs). They've gouged rims, improperly installed the brake booster foam shield, broke clips and trim doing other safety recalls, on and on and on... It's endemic neglect.

89 XJ (Ltd): RE 3.5", full leafs, 3/4" coil spacers, RE monotubes, JKS Adj trac, tcase drop, OME steering stab., BFG AT 31x10.5xR15s on 15x8 3.75bs, Borla cat-back
14 WK2 SRT: DiabloSport catch can, Borla S-Type
MattXJ is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
kryogen
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,183
The cas has had a strong burned oil smell since that. (one month).

I though that it was oil that had sprayed on the exhaust, but it should have been burned a long time ago now.

Did they actually overheat the engine and now it's smoking oil or what? When jeep is at full operating temp, I need to open a window when driving so I don't get intoxicated with the fumes.... something is wrong.

Oh well I'll have to get all this checked next week because guess what, my air suspension has also failed again and the jeep is down in exit mode.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
kryogen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome