Considering a WK2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By justbillin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
justbillin

Considering a WK2

Greetings from Tennessee!

Im seriously considering picking up a used Grand Cherokee for the wife and I to share as a third vehicle. Weve had a few Mopar products over the years, and both love the Hemis torque. Id like to take the vehicle on road trips out west, and this is what I am kind of thinking of the perfect set-up for us.

WK2 without the air suspension

17 wheels with larger tires. I would like to go as big (or 3% over circumference-wise) as the largest spare tire we can squeeze under the vehicle. I am willing to do a 2.5 lift and pinch weld mod if necessary.

Possibly a Hemi is the 6 cylinder adequate with larger tires? We are going to hit up plenty of mountain roads with this rig.

Quadra Trac 2 Will it be hard finding one with a Hemi and no air suspension?

I hope everybody is staying healthy and safe these days!

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 11:56 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Are you talking new or used.?

You will find hemis in the limited trim. It will be difficult to find a hemi that would fit 17 inch wheels, however. Most if not all V8s will have HD brakes an 18 is as small as you should go.

The V6 has plenty of power, the V8 is better for towing heavy and if you like to drive V8s

There is a buying a used WY2 sticky thread, if you haven’t alreadt seen it.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2020, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
justbillin

I picked up a nice used 2019 Limited with 12K miles this week. It has 4wd and the 6 cylinder. I am really impressed with it, and sport mode is fun!

We will probably be using it for some road trips out west which would include easy trails and desert dirt roads. I will probably upgrade the tires to slightly oversize AT tires and maybe some tow hooks in case I do get stuck. Im not planning on abusing it and I will also tote a set of Maxtrax boards for self-extraction. Im kind of thinking 265/65 18s and may even go with a Nitto Rig Grap XLs for weight savings and fuel economy. I dont want to do a lift kit, so hopefully they will not rub.

Right now Im just going to use it as a daily driver and enjoy it as is!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200619_110803.jpg  
JeepRonibo likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2020, 06:55 PM
Bilko

Looks like a really nice car.

If you want some better AT tires without increasing the road noise, check out the Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT3s. These work great in snow, sand and dry dirt roads yet still drive great on road. The Nitto's are also a good choice but louder. On muddy trails they are really good but if that's not your thing, there are better options.

Front tow hooks are a fashion accessory unless you always plan on off roading with a buddy, traction boards are a good idea if you plan to drive on deep sand but otherwise I wouldn't spend the cash and have the stress of having to carry them.

WK2s have more off-road capability that most of their drivers so if you get stuck you can usually select R and get out of trouble.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-24-2020, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
justbillin

I already have a set of squeaky clean and never used traction boards that I normally tote in my truck. I just wish there was a good recovery point on my WK2 since it isnt equipped with a trailer hitch.

I not planning on mudding or doing anything crazy, but want a better off road tread that will also hold up well. The KO2s that came on my truck took a real beating hitting some desert roads really hard in Wyoming on a previous weekend fun trip with some other trucks, and they were pretty worn out after a single weekend with only about 15K miles on my vehicle.

I now have Cooper ST MAXX D rated on my truck and really like them. I just want to keep the wheel weight down (no LTs) on the WK2 so it doesnt lose much in the way of acceleration with the slightly oversize tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in