Considering a 2016 WK2 to replace 2010 WK - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-19-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
InfernoHemi2010

Considering a 2016 WK2 to replace 2010 WK

I am considering replacing my 2010 WK with a 2016 WK2. I was wondering if a few owners would be kind enough to share any issues or concerns I might want to be aware of. I am a bit leary of the air rise suspension -- any known problems? Any other common design flaws / concern areas I should look out for?

I test drove the car today and was very impressed, but want to be prepared before diving in head first...

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-19-2020, 06:44 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Check out these threads:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...d-wk2-4376453/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-here-4358629/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...my-gc-4342129/

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 17 Old 01-20-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
InfernoHemi2010

Thank you for those links. Very useful information.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
There are only 2 things I miss about my 2010 Limited Hemi. The biggest is the loss of the rear glass opening. I really wish they kept that on the later WK2's. Everything else is generations better. The other is the loss of the front ELSD. The WK's with quadradrive were literally 4 wheel drive. WK2's are at best, 3 wheel drive.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #5 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

2016 was the beginning of Auto Start Stop.

2014 Black GC Laredo - Retired
2015 Blue GC Limited - Retired
2018 Bright White GC Limited
post #6 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 09:43 AM
rallen88
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
2016 was the beginning of Auto Start Stop.
Yes - but not on the V8.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 02:51 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
There are only 2 things I miss about my 2010 Limited Hemi. The biggest is the loss of the rear glass opening. I really wish they kept that on the later WK2's. Everything else is generations better. The other is the loss of the front ELSD. The WK's with quadradrive were literally 4 wheel drive. WK2's are at best, 3 wheel drive.
The loss of the flipper glass mid cycle was a big blow to function/practicality. Styling/marketing won that battle.

Neither the WK or WK2 are hard core rock climbing or mudding monsters. So lets talk about nasty weather and some misconceptions for the top of the line Quadra Drive.

The two drive trains are very different, except for the name.

Using your definitions, the WK system was normally "1 wheel drive" as neither diffs or transfer case could lock at rest (of course you could lock the transfer case by selecting 4WD low, not so great on the highway). Wheel spin was required for the pump to generate clutch pack pressure and hook up. Quite effective, but due to technology limits it leaves a lot on the table. The system also caused dangerous unstable behavior in some fairly common situations, so they added an electrical disable to the diffs so the computer could shut it off for safety, otherwise it was uncontrolled. The rudimentary BTC systems used was first generation and hampered by slow CPUs and not so smart software. Lastly, the system was inefficient getting power to the road.

The WK2's normally "3 wheel drive" system locks the transfer case and rear axle before wheel spin (select snow mode or stop on the throttle). It has better sensor/CPU/software.. so its traction control is much more effective than the WK. There is situational awareness so the traction parameters can be tailored for conditions. The system efficiently gets power to the road, which make SRT folks grin when launching.

In the real world during field testing, Jeep engineers found the system was so good that there was no traction benefit of a front ESLD in all but a couple unusual off road situations. There was no benefit to justify the weight and cost of a front ELSD in the WK2, except for perhaps marketing.

Of course good tires and driver skill makes a lot of difference getting from here to there, but its nice to have tools that reduce drama, driver effort, and stress.

post #8 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
The system does work great, but I've been through spots in my WK2 with some coaxing that my QDII WK tractored right through without any wheelspin. I believe part of the reason was the WK was budget lifted with Bilstien 5100's and rear springs and had better articulation but I haven't seen any actual ramp travel numbers to compare the two.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #9 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 03:25 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
The system does work great, but I've been through spots in my WK2 with some coaxing that my QDII WK tractored right through without any wheelspin. I believe part of the reason was the WK was budget lifted with Bilstien 5100's and rear springs and had better articulation but I haven't seen any actual ramp travel numbers to compare the two.
Yeah, driving off road in spots where the WK2 tripods is one of those situations where a locking front diff could be useful, not necessary, but certainly useful. The BCT does a decent job getting traction to the tire sitting on the ground, a little noisy. The hydraulic diff on the WK is not a full time locker which can also chatter but doesn't take as much engine power to work. If you learn how to drive them they can be smooth, but not as effective as a true locker.

My buddy has a WK QD and I usually run circles around him... There are others with lifts and mods that hold their own. There are a couple places where the WK2 tri-pods and his WK doesn't and he can keep up. More of a chassis thing, it does take a slightly different driving technique. On the road and highways in snow or ice there is a big difference.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Exactly. Run out of travel and you run out of traction in many supposed 4X4's. The loss of the rear glass opening is a real heartbreaker for me. BUT, as much as I liked the WK, the WK2 is better in every way, especially with the 8 speed. The OP will not regret the upgrade.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #11 of 17 Old 01-23-2020, 12:18 AM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
The lack of the rear flipper glass made me mad, too. Although, I have to admit I loved the Jeep and features so much I didnt even notice until I got home. I WISH it had a rear window like the 4Runner that went down like the other windows. Id also have been happy with a side swing barn door vs the hatch. I cant open it in my garage.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #12 of 17 Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 AM
koj
2010 WK 

Went from a 2010 Overland CRD to a 2016 Overland CRD and Im quite dissapointed.
The WK2 is nicer on the highway, has better turning radius and a heated steeringwheel, stronger engine and 10% less fuel consuption.
The WK2 is narrower inside has less storage space.
Air suspension bottoms out in Offroad 1 and has almost no wheeltravel at all in Offroad2. Bottoming out is accompanied whith a big bang. Wheel spin is stopped with an uncomfortable tug from the rear wheels. Drivetrain is not working in a nice way
WK2 underside has several Cables an tubes unprotected and prone to damage.
I use mine for a lot of hunting but have to stick to roads nowadays. Everytime I try some mild offroading I get something damaged.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-04-2020, 08:05 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is a skid plate kit available in the accessory catalog. Still leaves some gaps, but there is an aftermarket.

Articulation, or lack there of, is a common comment, The WK2 is a tripod. The bang is the control arms hitting the extension stops, you should not be getting bangs on compression. ORA2 is too stiff for most, folks generally use ORA1 then ORA2 only when needed or want a filling changed .

Do they both have QuadraDrive? My QD operates the rear wheels smoothly, sometimes in normal mode I can hear a thump when it locks/unlocks but otherwise works silently. Otherwise they have the same kind of BTC which will have an ABS type racket when working. Is it rough in all traction modes? If so you may want to have it checked out.
diverscale likes this.

post #14 of 17 Old 02-04-2020, 12:43 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
I've responded in bold below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by koj View Post
Went from a 2010 Overland CRD to a 2016 Overland CRD and Im quite dissapointed.
The WK2 is nicer on the highway, has better turning radius and a heated steeringwheel, stronger engine and 10% less fuel consuption.
The WK2 is narrower inside has less storage space. I haven't measured, but I've always felt it's bigger than my WK1 inside, at least by a little.

Air suspension bottoms out in Offroad 1 and has almost no wheeltravel at all in Offroad2. Bottoming out is accompanied whith a big bang. What mode are you in at the time? In my experience, the ride is more harsh in OR2 and Mud mode, but OR2 in Rock mode is less harsh and I didn't bottom out as much. I've found that each mode works really well on the terrain for which it was designed.

Wheel spin is stopped with an uncomfortable tug from the rear wheels. Drivetrain is not working in a nice way
WK2 underside has several Cables an tubes unprotected and prone to damage.
I use mine for a lot of hunting but have to stick to roads nowadays. Everytime I try some mild offroading I get something damaged.
I'm not sure what you're doing differently, but there are a lot of us that off road more difficult terrain and don't take it easy on our rigs. I scraped my skid plates several times in CO doing Badge of Honor trails, but that's what they're for. Any other damage I incurred was due to driver error (scratches, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There is a skid plate kit available in the accessory catalog. Still leaves some gaps, but there is an aftermarket.

Articulation, or lack there of, is a common comment, The WK2 is a tripod. The bang is the control arms hitting the extension stops, you should not be getting bangs on compression. ORA2 is too stiff for most, folks generally use ORA1 then ORA2 only when needed or want a filling changed .

Do they both have QuadraDrive? My QD operates the rear wheels smoothly, sometimes in normal mode I can hear a thump when it locks/unlocks but otherwise works silently. Otherwise they have the same kind of BTC which will have an ABS type racket when working. Is it rough in all traction modes? If so you may want to have it checked out.
I agree about getting it checked out if you think something isn't working as it should.

Despite the lack of articulation, I've never come close to getting stuck in 4Low or with the rear locked.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #15 of 17 Old 02-04-2020, 02:04 PM
MarkSRT8
2015 WK 

Garage
If you buy Limited trim level you won't have the air suspension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in