Computer chips - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-18-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Niangua

Computer chips

Any recomendations/ opinions on chips for "14 GCL 3.6L?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-19-2020, 03:32 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The ECU chips are not removable, no chips available. Off hand I dunno if there is a tuner/programer. You may be able to buy a reprogramed performance ECU for off road use.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 26 Old 07-20-2020, 05:34 AM
RedTrex
2014 WK 

Superchips and Diablosports are probably the 2 biggest tuners for the pentastar but you get very little increase and IMO the cost is just not worth it.....

2003 Libby 2x4 (Gone)
2004 Libby 4x4 (Gone)
2013 Wrangler JKU (Gone)
2014 WK2 Ecodiesel (485 tq)

post #4 of 26 Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 AM
PwnCall

Garage
Modern cars have much better tunes from the factory than they did in older cars. You can see gains since most cars aren’t tuned for performance from the factory but again they are usually very minimal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-20-2020, 07:35 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnCall View Post
Modern cars have much better tunes from the factory than they did in older cars. You can see gains since most cars arenít tuned for performance from the factory but again they are usually very minimal.
I would also add that from what I have seen, they always require higher octane fuel than stock, so your miles per dollar will go down about %10 with (around here in SW PA) each step being about 30Ę more.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Niangua

Thank you guys. I appreciate your responses.
Save me some bucks.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-26-2020, 02:26 PM
foolonthehill

I just ordered a Thorton Tuner chip. They offer three versions with claimed HP/MPG improvements for each. I'll report back with what I find when I get mine.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-27-2020, 05:36 AM
RedTrex
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolonthehill View Post
I just ordered a Thorton Tuner chip. They offer three versions with claimed HP/MPG improvements for each. I'll report back with what I find when I get mine.

Hmmmm, 60 HP gain for $89.95 on a 3.6L - That is some Magic.

2003 Libby 2x4 (Gone)
2004 Libby 4x4 (Gone)
2013 Wrangler JKU (Gone)
2014 WK2 Ecodiesel (485 tq)
post #9 of 26 Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnCall View Post
Modern cars have much better tunes from the factory than they did in older cars. You can see gains since most cars arenít tuned for performance from the factory but again they are usually very minimal.
This is true. For a couple of reasons. I'm an old timer from back in the day when any high school kid could boost his own car with a few mods. That is no longer the case for a few reasons:

In the old days, manufacturers had to tune the vehicles down because realistically they had to allow headroom for the quality of gas the users would get, what kind of driving conditions (temperature/load/humidity), changes in carb and distributor points between tune ups etc. With computerized controls, they can push much closer to the design limits because the computer will accommodate changes--whether in hot desert of a blizzard in Alaska. If you're cranking along and the heads start to get too hot, the computer will adjust timing and mixture.

Manufacturers need to validate their production programming through testing in all types of extreme conditions, heat, cold, high speed, low speed, high altitude etc. And the system needs to prove durable under all those conditions. Aftermarkets and tuning shops have no access to that extensive test data, they can only guess.

Often in the old days you got some boost by pushing more fuel through your system. Not only did that cause more emission troubles, but it shortened the life of the engine significantly.

Aftermarket outfits still try to sell the mystique of products that boost horsepower, but it's mostly smoke and mirrors at best, will cause premature failures at worst. Fuel mileage 'improvements' are probably one the biggest BS areas. Under the law it's hugely beneficial for manufacturers to get the highest efficiency possible (allowing for more higher end vehicles to be sold). You can be damned sure they've exhausted every feasible improvement already.

You might get a little more airflow with a fancy (expensive) filter (and they love to quote percentages), but that will make exactly ZERO effect for most driving (where your flow is limited by throttle position, not the air cleaner--and with fly-by-wire throttles the computer will be protecting the engine so it may not even open all the way depending on conditions)

Save your money.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #10 of 26 Old 07-27-2020, 06:53 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah now days, on a locked down WK2, they are snake oil. Heavy into marketing, light on effectiveness. They can fiddle a little with shift points and throttle response to give an illusion of more power, but if you want any measurable gains its replace the ECU time as the fuel and timing maps are locked down. I don't think any of these plug ins are compatible with the newer models that have security gateways. Now folks have had some success with Ferds, but otherwise the net is full of dissatisfied customers and company shills that love them.

Pedal commanders are still popular for improved pedal response, they trick the computer into thinking the throttle is opening faster than it is. Makes the throttle touchy, however, harder to modulate.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #11 of 26 Old 07-28-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Niangua

Thanks guys, sounds like I will leave things just as they are.
post #12 of 26 Old 07-29-2020, 04:30 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Anything that is a chip, or plug and play, is BS. Canned tunes from SCT or Diablo are meh. If you are serious about tuning it, you want to look into a Diablo CMR (custom) tune or HP Tuners. With those 2, in your current form, you MAY notice differences in performance, but they likely wouldn’t be significant (fine tuned transmission line pressures and shift tables).

If you tune it for 91-93 octane and have some bolt-ons (headers, etc), you would definitely notice more of a difference.

Keep in mind, there are no $$ gains to be had by better mpg, etc due to the initial investment. For a Diablo CMR tune or an HPT tune, your looking at $600+ for the handheld tuner (CMR) or software (HPT) and then paying a tuner.

Hope this helps clarify it some.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #13 of 26 Old 08-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Egodriver71
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
If you tune it for 91-93 octane and have some bolt-ons (headers, etc), you would definitely notice more of a difference.
Good luck finding a header for the 3.6L, there isn't even an exhaust manifold...

Honestly, if you want HP gains, Nitrous or a supercharger are really your only options!!!

And, ColdCase, I was under the impression the ECU got locked down starting with 2015MY?
post #14 of 26 Old 08-07-2020, 04:13 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post

Honestly, if you want HP gains, Nitrous or a supercharger are really your only options!!!

And without a revised tune, those will have limited effect, perhaps even detrimental.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #15 of 26 Old 08-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Egodriver71
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
And without a revised tune, those will have limited effect, perhaps even detrimental.
I know both Sprintex and RIPP offer tunes with their superchargers.

Edlebrock does also, but their kit is technically only for the Wranglers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in