Clunk at start up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-25-2021, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Newjeepgirl2021

Clunk at start up

I recently purchased a 2018 Grand Cherokee with 30k miles on it and I’ve noticed a clunk when I push the start button. It doesn’t happen every time I’m afraid to tell my husband because he didn’t want me to buy the Jeep in the first place. Unfortunately it’s out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and what was the fix for it. This is the first nice vehicle I’ve owned and I would hate for it to become a regret and for him to say I told you so. I already fixed the audio myself. That’s 2 issues in less than 2 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Jd41wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjeepgirl2021 View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 Grand Cherokee with 30k miles on it and Ive noticed a clunk when I push the start button. It doesnt happen every time Im afraid to tell my husband because he didnt want me to buy the Jeep in the first place. Unfortunately its out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and what was the fix for it. This is the first nice vehicle Ive owned and I would hate for it to become a regret and for him to say I told you so. I already fixed the audio myself. Thats 2 issues in less than 2 weeks.
Many times it's the A/C compressor. Does it only do it with the heat or ac on? Or all the time?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its a V6 with ESS? Those can be clunky, it normal for some. There is a long ESS thread around here somewhere with tips on how to minimize it. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll take a look.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 13 Old 05-27-2021, 05:42 AM
Comanche_88
1988 MJ Comanche 

One other possibility is that the starter motor gear is hanging up momentarily and then you get the clunk when it releases. Mine has been doing this on and off since new and the tech at the dealer confirmed my suspicions that this was likely the culprit of this particular clunk noise (I have more than one).
post #5 of 13 Old 06-02-2021, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Newjeepgirl2021

I called the dealer today and spoke to the service advisor. He acted like he has never heard of it before. From some of the online searches, this seems to be more common problem. I just would like to take it to the dealership and say, this is the problem and don’t tell me it’s something else. I’ve been taken advantage of at dealerships. Not Jeep, yet, I’ve had it for 2 weeks.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-02-2021, 05:46 AM
Comanche_88
1988 MJ Comanche 

I here you. I have had issues with different dealers in the past as well. I can tell you my starter motor clunk issue, if that is actually the issue, has gotten better with time. I now have a little of 50k miles and have not noticed that particular noise for a while.

When it was new I took in to the dealer more than once, but could never reproduce it when a tech was listening to it because it is/was so intermittent.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-02-2021, 02:43 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjeepgirl2021 View Post
I called the dealer today and spoke to the service advisor. He acted like he has never heard of it before. From some of the online searches, this seems to be more common problem. I just would like to take it to the dealership and say, this is the problem and don’t tell me it’s something else. I’ve been taken advantage of at dealerships. Not Jeep, yet, I’ve had it for 2 weeks.
Hey, Newjeepgirl2021. If you need any assistance while working with the dealer, please let us know. We are in private message to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
post #8 of 13 Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Newjeepgirl2021

Will do. I appreciate it. I wanted this Jeep and my husband didn’t want me to buy it. I hate when things go wrong right away and he gives me ‘the look’. Even if it is just a quirk, it sounds terrible. It’s used and I didn’t buy it from a Jeep dealer, so that adds a little more complication.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2021, 06:27 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If the inservice date is less than 36 months ago. (in service after June 2, 2018) then its still covered by the factory 36 month new car warranty.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #10 of 13 Old 06-02-2021, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Newjeepgirl2021

The service advisor said it’s out of the basic warranty but still had some drive train warranty left. I’m happy to pay for a fix, I just don’t like paying for unnecessary exploratory diagnosis. Especially when they say it’s fixed, just to find out it’s not. I haven’t dealt with Jeep dealership yet, but I’m hoping for better experience.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2021, 01:34 PM
GPSBob
2015 WK 

Here's another thread on the subject. Or at least something similar:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...click-4291329/
post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2021, 06:34 PM
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

Dealers never heard of anything, then they diagnose it and find out we already knew the problem from a forum! Happened to me several time when I was under warranty.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 08:53 PM
chevra
2008 WK 

Our 2019 has a clunk on start up as well. It sounds and feels like the transfer case is shifting from 4hi to 4lo or something. The 4lo light comes up on the dash briefly on startup when the clunk happens and then goes back out. Is this the same clunk that you are hearing or is it something different? I always found it strange, its almost like its doing some sort of check on start up.

2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude V6
2" Lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in