Changing a low beam light buld on 2014 grand - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
csell
2014 WK 

Garage
Angry Changing a low beam light buld on 2014 grand

Does anyone know of any easy way to change a low beam bulb on the passenger side of a 2014 jeep grand cherokee?

I did some searching on the web and all I could find was to try to replace it from the wheel well. The problem is I can't pull out the bulb out because my hand can't get a hold of the bulb to turn to twist it out of plastic cover around the bulb. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did end up taking it to the dealer and they charged me $120 bucks .... So I'm not doing that again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Doesn't look like a pleasant job, but pulling off the bumper facia to get access to the bulb is easier than it looks:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...mited-4297225/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...ights-4222850/

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Question

Isn't there a hole in the wheel well?

Should be able to reach through there. I'll check it out this morning.

Jeez, $120 to change a light bulb???

First YT vid found...

post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The drivers side is easier, usually can get via the wheel well opening, the passenger side not so much. For bulbs on a 2011-2013, most go in through the engine bay, and move components around (air box, coolant tank), some just remove the bumper. Wasn't sure if 2014s are different. There isn't much room and if things are stuck its hard to get leverage.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Looking at my 2011 it seems easier to remove the coolant tank and air box on the inside of the engine bay.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

From reading here, 2011-2013s seem to be easier.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 01:19 PM
PwnCall

Garage
Did these recently on my 14’ Both I would recomend doing from above and not through the wheel well.

Pass side disconnect the ecu and move it from its mounts by pulling up.

Drivers side remove the air box by disconnecting the intake with the clamp the. Pull up hard on the air box to get it off the mounts.

Pro tip. Attach the clip to the bulb before trying to insert it in the housing.

I tried to put the bulb in and dropped it into the headlight assembly, it’s stiol in there I just bought a new bulb cause I didn’t want to remove the whole front bumper and grill to get it.

Pita job for what it should be took me over and hour each side the first time, I could probably do both in 30 the next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM
mikeynavy1
2018 WK 

I've been involved in several discussions on a different forum on this topic, As mentioned earlier, you can either remove the PCM to gain better access or the coolant tank...passenger side. Air filter box removal gets you access to the driver's side. I've done this several times now on my 2018...trouble-shooting LED upgrades to low beam, high beam, and turn signals/parking lights. I haven't done it this way...fearful of braking clips or damage...but some people remove the bumper to access the headlights. My other advice, as mentioned above, is to wear gloves. I cut the finger tips off of some because even, with the remove of above, you still can't see what you're doing really good and will rely on feel If you don't use gloves, the cuts and scrapes on your hands will be a reminder and lesson learned! I have never owned a vehicle that made something as simple and routine as changing headlight bulbs (well low beams to be fair...and maybe side markers in the future...high beams and turn signals aren't so bad) so tedious and painful.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Dawgies

2019 WK 

Garage
My sister recently had to have her 2018 WK low beam replaced at a dealer and she had to pay $ 120.00. Ouch!

Onward!
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
csell
2014 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the tips ... I totally agree with going from the top. I noticed if your right handed, you can change the passenger bulb this way.
Face your body towards the windshield so your standing next to the jeep. Your on the left and the jeep is on the right.
You can then easily reach your right hand in there (put your hand in near the computer and engine coolant area).
Twist your arm a little bit and you will have access to the light bulb area ...
From there, your going to do everything backwards, but it seems like the most logical approach.

Going with that approach...
I was able to remove the protector cap and even reach in and turn the light bulb so it can come out. I stopped at that part.
I think if I was to continue, I would then still go through the wheel well to swap out the light as that cord should be long enough to pull it out and do the bulb switch from underneath the wheel well.

I hope this helps someone else out / save them from spending money at the dealer!
post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM
mikeynavy1
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Thanks for the tips ... I totally agree with going from the top. I noticed if your right handed, you can change the passenger bulb this way.
Face your body towards the windshield so your standing next to the jeep. Your on the left and the jeep is on the right.
You can then easily reach your right hand in there (put your hand in near the computer and engine coolant area).
Twist your arm a little bit and you will have access to the light bulb area ...
From there, your going to do everything backwards, but it seems like the most logical approach.

Going with that approach...
I was able to remove the protector cap and even reach in and turn the light bulb so it can come out. I stopped at that part.
I think if I was to continue, I would then still go through the wheel well to swap out the light as that cord should be long enough to pull it out and do the bulb switch from underneath the wheel well.

I hope this helps someone else out / save them from spending money at the dealer!

Be careful when unclipping the bulb...the H11 socket/harness is somewhat cheap/brittle plastic. It is easy to break the clip....I did on one of my bulbs...it just meant I had to use some electrical tape to make sure it didn't come loose from the bulb. I later decided to order some extenders off of Amazon. They make it much easier to access the bulb and still tuck in easily behind the dust cover.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some tips here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309.../#post40155185

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in