Changing LEDs in the overhead console - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
DavidsCyclops

2014 WK 

Changing LEDs in the overhead console

Has anyone tackled changing the leds in the overhead console?

I replaced the 2 dome lights with leds.

But the 2 map lights are SMD LEDs soldered to a small board.

There also is a "courtesy" light in the overhead console that faintly shines on the center console below.

I have replaced all the interior lights with a bright white led, except for these last three.

Attached Thumbnails
2015-03-18 21.46.52.jpg   2015-03-18 21.51.05.jpg   2015-03-18 21.52.50.jpg   2015-03-18 21.54.35.jpg   2015-03-18 21.56.55.jpg  

14 GC Overland 3.6L 230,000 miles
05 GC Laredo 3.7L 412,646 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 AM
dcorn

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen it done somewhere. I'd love to do it, but don't have the knowhow to tackle LED's that aren't plug and play.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2015, 03:10 AM
diverb

2014 WK 

DavidsCyclops,

How did you get the console off? I tried taking the map light bulbs out and I ended up destroying the shiny aluminum that surrounded the light bulbs. I'd like to replace the dull white map lights with cool blue LED's but it looks like they don't come out?

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel -PPEI DPF/SCR delete tune, Custom 3" down pipe, BANKS Exhaust

post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

the console just pulls off the roof, held in with clips, well my '13 is anyway

'92 YJ
'98 ZJ 5.9
'13 WK2 HEMI
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 03:01 PM
damonminn
2014 WK 

Garage
Anybody have any luck replacing these two hard connected LEDs? I'm to the point where I've pulled the overhead console out and am going to start taking it apart.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2016, 04:24 PM
rplante3108

you have to solder the LED off, then solder new ones on. I did it to my compass a long time ago, just have to get the right size led and color is all. First time wasn't bad, just get the solder hot, try not to touch the LED if possible. touch the silver stuff around it, it will liquefy, take it off. heat it again so you can connect it properly, stick the new LED in there and your done. Plug it in and see if it works before you put everything back in of course =) hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2016, 09:41 AM
damonminn
2014 WK 

Garage
Thanks rplante

I just built three replica circuit boards out of thin plastic and will mount the led's to those. I'll cut the ribbon and solder the leads to the led's. If this goes terribly bad, I'll still have the original boards with led's in place and I can just rejoin (splice) the ribbon cables.

I have a bunch of different led's coming to me (high flux, SMD, and through hole) with different mcd and viewing angles. I'll see which look the best and go with those. They're cheap and it's always nice to have a couple extra led's around. I have some blue options for the center light, that I'm hoping will match the existing blue accent lights (cup holder, door handles, etc...).

Also, I checked the existing voltage, the left and right look like about 3V and the center looks like about 2V. If you're doing this, make sure you buy the lower voltage...I don't think the 9-15V leds would even light up in this case. I was tempted, because superbrightled had a real nice looking smd that was prewired and would've worked very nicely....but had the 9-15V.

For all the 12V's (footwell, overhead console, rear hand hold, rear hatch, and glove box), I'm just going with a 4 led 194. Also, going to try the blue 194, for the footwells (going a little more high powered for that, because I believe the blue ones don't show as well).

Tags
console , led , lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in