Capless cap refused to open for the fuel nozzle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
CBRDude

Capless cap refused to open for the fuel nozzle

My wife called me this morning in hysterics to say she could not get the fuel nozzle into the capless cap. Another fueler helped her get the nozzle in. Anyone have this happen? This is our first Jeep product. Have not been a fan of these as they are loaded with issues. It's a fleet lease so we only got to choose the color. They roll her into a new one every year. Had been running Fords before with the capless caps with no issues. The leasing company is excellent and so is her fleet admin person, but she does not want to complain as they will take it back and give her a new one. They don't want her to be put out at all. That's customer friendly. Her company leases many cars from this company and I'm sure they don't want this to be a horrible experience switching over to FCA from Ford. She really likes the ride. I'm thinking the tank was full of pressure which would not allow the nozzle past the flap? Make any sense? This will be the 4th time the vehicle has malfunctioned. Maybe getting a new one is not so bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 PM
68camaro

Man thats odd, I'd swing by a dealer and asking them about it. Could just be some one-time fluk, but frustrating never-the-less.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
CBRDude

It's been very warm here in VA, but she's had it now for a while during the hotter times. I'm thinking its full of pressure but it does not make sense? I can take it in myself and have work done, like the other three times. All under warranty. They take care of everything in the past. She normally just drops it off and they take it in. She had a 2014 Ford Escape and they took it back as it had so many recalls they did not want her put out or under duress for safety. They replaced it with a 2014 Ford Edge. She really wanted the Edge again but her fleet admin said they were switching over to FCA as they got a better deal. She never had any down time with her Fords. The Escape never gave her any issues but they did not want her to have any either. I'll report back with there findings.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-04-2015, 07:44 AM
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Fuel pressure would not create the situation your wife experienced. The filler neck closure mechanism is hanging up for some reason. I would spray a small amount of WD-40 (or some other light lubricant) in there while articulating the moving parts by hand. If you still have a problem take it to the dealer.

Roy
2014 Overland, 3.6 L
Fumoto Qwikvalve, Ionic CXV running boards, Michelin X-Ice Xi2 snow tires
post #5 of 16 Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
CBRDude

I'll try that. She's been on the road since Tuesday. I clean it up and get it ready for the next trip on the weekend and they she's off again. I'm not too worried about it. She was of course as she likes the way it drives and handles. If I were in a vehicle like she is I'd want something nice too. She racks up 30-36K a year. When you're in something small you get beat to death. This actually has more stuff on it than her previous fleet vehicle's. It's the first one with a sunroof too and the panorama one too! Usually the fleet admin says you don't need a sunroof as that's just more $$. She's had all the rest of the goodies though. Her choice was silver or black and she took the black. Our other vehicles are all shades of silver and she wanted something different.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-06-2015, 03:12 PM
croach08
2014 WK 

Never had that problem with mine probably just a fluke I can't imagine such a simple assembly having a problem like that unless it was broken by force. The diesel tank isn't pressurized to my knowledge.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM
stopplease

Pebswas
post #8 of 16 Old 09-07-2015, 06:25 AM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

Mine has hung up on me a few times and only can be forced in until it works well again. Jeep is one month old now and seems to be getting easier to fuel with less effort. First hangup took brute force to get the nozzle inserted.

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #9 of 16 Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM
TJSport97
2014 WK 

I don't like that set-up at all. Just wish we had a 'gas cap'.

Have a nice day. Gary
post #10 of 16 Old 09-08-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
CBRDude

It's inoperable. For some reason the nozzle does want to go in. I took it back up to the station and pump she had issues with and sure enough it refuses to go down the hatch! I tried another pump and it worked much better. I think it was the nozzle itself? The end of the nozzle was kind of pointed. I looks like it's been modified some how? I don't use that station as the prices are off planet earth. I suspect that station is a front for washing money. They are at 2.51 for regular when the others are in the 2.15 ish category! Anyway I got home and used my fueling funnel and it works fine. So I suspect it's the nozzle itself that's the cause. Crisis averted!
post #11 of 16 Old 09-08-2015, 08:25 AM
jacko15
2014 WK 

There's a thread on another Jeep forum about this. Seems it's not all that uncommon to run into a nozzle that won't fit in the filler tube. Some filling stations have older pumps that have taken a beating over the years.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
CBRDude

OK, we tried out another station. The nozzle went right in without any issues. I suspect it was the nozzle itself and not the capless cap that was the cause of the issue at hand.

This capless style is much different than Fords. The Ford had a flap on it's cap vs. the Jeep style.

Crisis averted!
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

So.... The OP learned to only buy gasoline from a major retailer......stick with the Majors.... For so many reasons .... Now we can add another one.... " beat up old nozzles!" .

Exxon, Mobil, Chevron or Shell only gets into my rigs...... Never an issue. And a bonus.... You never need injector service and you never need to change your gas filter......cleaner , better, for a few cents more .... Worth it.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-09-2015, 01:04 PM
624c
2014 WK 

I need that job...brand new company car swapped out every year

Current: '14 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. Gone '12 JK Sport 2 door 6 speed, '08 Liberty
post #15 of 16 Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
CBRDude

It was a national branded station. I could see using jackgas which we do have here. Yes, that's the name! We used another branded station that the nozzle worked perfect.

The first station the nozzle looked like someone had put it into a pencil sharpener. Yes, that pointed! Don't know, I've never seen one like that before. I'm talking nozzle now! I don't use that station, as I buy from Costco.

She uses that station as it's the last station before she gets on the interstate. We went back to the same pump. also tried another pump at the same station, the nozzle went in, but not easy as it should. Guess that's off the fuel stop list now?

624c, Don't we all? When I had my car we kept them for 5 years then dumped them. We depreciated them using some scale. I no longer have a fleet car as we dropped the program 12 years ago. Ours worked much different than what my wife has. They have good and bad points. It worked for me then and no complaints. I had no car payment. I had to pay a 150.00 per month and that covered personal use. They paid all the rest of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in