Cabin fumes / engine compartment type smell - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
jaynvik
2012 WK 

Cabin fumes / engine compartment type smell

I've owned my 2012 GC for about 1 year. 5.7l 4x4 Overland w/ 78k miles.

Intermittently I get smells in the cabin that resemble engine compartment smells, - vaguely like the smell of leaking valve covers on an exhaust manifold or a slight exhaust leak sort of odor. I konw my engine smells very well, buth this one is hard to pinpoint. It seems to be random as to when it occurs, but often occurs in stopped traffic or at idle.

The vehicle has no leaks, nor does it use any fluids.
Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-15-2018, 10:36 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some have mentioned it, and the smell could be coming from other vehicles. There could be a small drip of oil onto the exhaust manifold that dissipates when you are moving or there is some wind, but hangs around when not. These are hard to find and the oil loss on the dip stick is in the noise.

I hear that those cabin filters with carbon clean up a lot of the smells.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 9 Old 02-08-2019, 04:20 PM
alko

I've been away from the forum for awhile but I posted about a natural gas like smell coming into the cabin. You can check my post here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...cabin-4287761/

They performed some sort of TSB-I'll check to see if I posted the TSB number and edit this post. I could still smell the natural gas like smell a few times after the TSB was performed, but I don't smell it now. It seems like the ambient temperature made a difference...right temp and right relative humidity outside had to be present when I smelled it. Even though I no longer smell it, immediately after the TSB was performed, and even to this day, I can smell whatever cleaner/disinfectant they used through the vent system.

BTW Jeep Care was pretty pointless. The advisor from Jeep Care would not engage the engineers with Chrysler, and at the most, called the dealer to get updates.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
jaynvik
2012 WK 

Update: This smell still continues 1 year later. Living in Arizona, most of the year is spent running AC on high fan levels. During that time no smells are coming into the cabin.
During the winter months when the fan is not running is when the smells are most evident. Driving with the windows down ventilates the odor, so it seems unlikely that it is from exhaust (don't they typically get worse when the windows are down??)

The smell is like heavy petroleum (gear lube or similar heavy viscosity) kinda reminds me of the smell you get from a leaky rear axle seal.

Car is garaged and no leaks of any kind are on the floor.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 AM
danelo
2012 WK 

Your issue is most likely exhaust from other vehicles. Try driving with the fan in recirculation mode and see if you have issues. I almost always drive with the fan that way because before at times I would get exhaust smells and would notice a car with more exhaust than normal.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
jaynvik
2012 WK 

Thanks for the quick reply.
The smell occurs even when no other vehicle are near (not a frequent occurrence in Phoenix ;-)
Today I drove with the heat/ac off. No smell

Turned the climate control on in recirc mode - immediate smell

I suspect the air inlet. Has anyone had issue with a blend door? cracked heater box?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Are you loosing any coolant?

The HVAC housing is not connected to exterior air except via the air inlet up under the dash.

You would think any sealant smells would have dissipated by now.

You are saying you are getting smells regardless of recirc mode? Wonder if one of the firewall or body grommets are not seated properly and letting some smell in depending on cabin pressure. I think a mold smells musty, not like gear oil. Did you say you inspected and changed the cabin air filter? There is a foam seal between the HVAC air inlet and firewall that may be deformed or damaged.

Dunno, just guessing.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
jaynvik
2012 WK 

Thanks ColdCase.
Yes, the smells are regardless of mode.
No loss of coolant - replaced water pump last year.
Definately not the musty smell typical of a plugged ac drain.
Whats most strange is that this smell is not noticed under the hood.
Yes - cabin filter replaced (with carbon filter) no change to smell.
no obvious exhaust leaks
post #9 of 9 Old 12-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Bilko

Have you checked for transmission cooler leaks , these are not uncommon and result in the symptoms you describe. Have a look at the cooler, it's the one that sits in front of the water radiator. They typically leak on the right hand side (looking into the engine bay). Unless its a major leak the transmission fluid gets sucked into the radiator and disperses so you don't see much evidence of it unless you look hard. It may be worth checking your transmission fluid level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in