Buying a Used WK2 - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Buying a Used WK2

This tread is a collection of suggestions to keep in mind when considering buying a used WK2, besides the typical used car diligence.

There have been over a million WK2s produced, by far most have no serious issues. Read through the high mileage report thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-here-4358629/ and the enjoying the WK2 thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...my-gc-4342129/

Test drive from cold, don’t let it warm up. Listen and feel for clunky shifting and performance quirks that may annoy you. These and vibrations can be annoying and difficult to resolve. Optional safety features and air suspension are worthwhile having, but expensive to repair.

WK2 production began early in 2010 as the 2011 model year. Those with a 2011 build date were over the teething pains. Over the years there was continuous improvement and refinement. But standard equipment was also reduced.

For 2014 there was a body refresh, a radio/CAN bus update, and the 8 speed transmission introduced. The V6s were helped significantly by the new transmissions but the 2014 V6 transmissions had teething pains. Those still on the road should be either resolved by now or was built right in the first place. The V8 transmission was built in Germany, but production moved to the US over the years. The flipper glass was dropped this year.

The 2015s had an electronic shifter that some dislike, they went back to a more conventional shifter in 2016.

There was another light styling refresh in 2016, and the V6 PUG update improved V6 performance. Features were added to the safety packages. The V6 ESS was also introduced (Start/Stop)

Apple Car Play was introduced in 2018. Not many changes since.

There is a diesel thread for those that insist: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-info-2438921/ In general, buy one if thats what you like.

Problem areas reported:

Leather dashboard delaminating. Jeep has been replacing many of these.

Early V6 motor misfires, some heads had manufacturing defects, the symptom starts as a misfire code. Many heads were replaced and there is an extended warranty.

Clunks and suspension noises. The source of these noises can be hard to find, if you want to buy one thats clunky, try to figure out whats doing it first. Most culprits are sway bar links, motor mounts, upper control arm bushings, loose front cradle bolts, rusted rear suspension cradle to body bolts or separated bushings, and separated rear shock bushing.

The nifty air suspension can be expensive to repair, there are kits that replace it with coils. Its not easy to lift an air suspension without causing other issues.

The V8s have been pretty solid, although the water pump is weak. Some early ones may smoke a bit after being parked on a hill. These V8s don’t seem to have as many rocker or lifter failures as those used in RAMs or Chrysler cars. The exhaust header bolt also doesn't seem to be as much of an issue, but if it ticks when cold and gets quieter when warm, it may have a broken exhaust manifold bolt.

Look for bulging steering rack boots as they have a tendency to leak.

There can be corrosion issues in electrical connectors and grounds. Those that have been garaged seem to have less issues.

The V6 alternator was an issue in some years, but its hard to detect a bad one until they fail.

Blend door gears can be a problem, check that the HVAC moves freely to all positions without moaning or creaking.

The TIPM can be a problem but, again, its hard to detect a bad one until they fail.

Axle nuts will rust

Wires can break at the door jam.

The 2011-2013 V8 drive shaft flexible coupler can wear and break, usually in conjunction with rear differential mis-alignment due to separated bushings or rusted mounts.

Some doors will pop when opening, replacing the hinge fixes it.

Radiators can leak where the end caps attach to the fins.

Transmission oil coolers can leak.

mudbear, w6pea and Immortel like this.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Reserved

post #3 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Reserved 2

post #4 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 07:11 PM
elJeepo_00WJ
2011 WK 

I'm buying one very soon and will be purchasing a limited or overland, 2011 0r 2012 model year with the 5.7. I'll be buying one with roughly 70-85k miles. Should I avoid an overland/ the quadra lift suspension? How much drivetrain noise should come from these? Is some whirring/humming from the front end normal? I'm somewhat new to awd/4wd and experienced these noises in my WJ along with a wk2 I just test drove.

why is my jeep always breaking???
post #5 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Buying a limited will avoid the slight chance of dash, air suspension, or RADAR issues. Although not particularly failure prone, they are costly to fix.

So if you are trying to minimize the risk of big expenses down the line and can live with a smaller feature set, look at Limiteds.

There should not be much noise, although sometimes a faint whine can be heard. Sometimes a hum can be a tire. Check to see if the diffs and transfer case are wet/leaking.

If you are looking for one equipped with QuadraDrive, that forces you into an Overland of that era. QD was standard on Overland V8s then, not available on Limiteds as it was restricted. Thats how I ended up with an Overland... with lifetime MaxCare.

post #6 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 03:07 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

These comments are great. I was looking at a 2017 but after taking a 3 1/2 hour drive to look at a 2017 Laredo I missed the fact it had no power front seat and found, contrary to salesman promise of no dings or scratches, paint bubbling in several spots across the front section of hood. That was $19,700 with 37K but we turned down their offer to repair damage and are moving on.
Now I have found a 2014 Limited with 48K for about 20K [not negotiated yet] It has QT II. Are there any issues with that? I had QT1. This one has a Nav. Were there any issues with the 2014 Navs. Any other reasons not to pursue a 2014. Obviously I get a lot more features than the 2017 but 3 years older. The salesman hinted that 15 and 16 GCs were more of the problem years but I trust Forum guys like cold case for more reliable answers.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:41 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

Pulled the trigger today. Now the proud owner of 2014 GC Limited. Very impressed so far. Hope I stay that way and thanks for the advice leading up to the purchase.
mudbear likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Homer1

wow lotta great info....thanks!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #9 of 20 Old 11-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Chuckmiller

In just a couple of weeks I will be on the hunt for a pre-owned 2018 or 2019 High Altitude in black. CarGurus, Autotrader, and Carmax find very very few listings in Florida and the Southeast when I let it hunt up to 500 miles around me. Any other suggestions on how I can find one? There are a couple of new 2019 out there but of course the price is higher. I will be trading my extremely clean 2016 Tacoma Limited with a KBB of 15k-20k.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-20-2019, 03:14 PM
w6pea
Grumpy Old Fart Marine

2019 WK 

Garage
@ColdCase

Thank you for posting this review. I didn't buy a used WK2 I bought new but if I were going to buy used I would have wished I would have had your review to compare with.
Thanks for posting the great review.

"Without Trucks and Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

Ive never trusted a man who put's cream or sugar in his coffee. Just like I never really trusted a man who put's Coca-Cola in his bourbon.
"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
post #11 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 04:58 AM
elJeepo_00WJ
2011 WK 

Something I noticed among my test drives was some of these you may hear drivetrain noise. Make sure you test drive up to highway speeds (70mph)
w6pea likes this.

why is my jeep always breaking???
post #12 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

One issue that surprised me when looking at both a 2017 and a 2014 WK is that the 17 had the stop start system which apparently debuted in 2015. I have read nothing positive about that system introduced to get Govt. Cafe standards. Perhaps Cold Case can weigh in on that.
w6pea likes this.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Otherwise known as ESS, debuted as part of the PUG update in 2016 V6 models. Most don’t mind it and the appreciate the reduced fuel usage, many are annoyed by it. Those that don’t like ESS migrate to V8s or disable it.
w6pea and wildbill23c like this.

post #14 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 05:36 PM
paullee01

2018 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
One issue that surprised me when looking at both a 2017 and a 2014 WK is that the 17 had the stop start system which apparently debuted in 2015. I have read nothing positive about that system introduced to get Govt. Cafe standards. Perhaps Cold Case can weigh in on that.
The 16 models were the first to have it. (Also the 16 is when they changed the gear shifter) As far as the auto stop / start goes I don't like it. If you really need to take off fast from a dead stop...forget it! I just turn it off everytime I start the vehicle! The 18 has the much improved Uconnect screen!
w6pea likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 05:39 PM
paullee01

2018 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckmiller View Post
In just a couple of weeks I will be on the hunt for a pre-owned 2018 or 2019 High Altitude in black. CarGurus, Autotrader, and Carmax find very very few listings in Florida and the Southeast when I let it hunt up to 500 miles around me. Any other suggestions on how I can find one? There are a couple of new 2019 out there but of course the price is higher. I will be trading my extremely clean 2016 Tacoma Limited with a KBB of 15k-20k.
Found two in FL. The white one is way overpriced and doesn't have the Harman Kardon. I paid $3000.00 less for mine a year ago with 5300 miles.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
w6pea likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in