Burning oil smell in cab - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 99SK04GTX

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
shavez00

Burning oil smell in cab

Hey all, looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this really annoying issue.

I have a 2013 WK2 Overland with the 3.6L V6 engine.

When I drive the Jeep for awhile and then come to stop at a red light and I have the heat on I get a burning oil smell that comes through the heat vents. This makes me think it's an oil leak somewhere that's hitting the engine and burning off.

This issue started after a really weird issue came up which has now gone away on its own. The issue is that if I used the push button start the engine would crank, but not turn over. It would continue to crank and crank and not start.
I'd have to pull the button and put the key in and turn it to start then off to get it to stop trying to crank. It did this a few times, I stopped using the button for awhile then one day put the button back in and haven't had the problem come up again. Each the after the "cranking but not starting" problem I would get a really strong burning oil smell. Could the fuel pump have created so much pressure that it caused an oil leak?

I change my own oil and oil filter and recently had to replace a rocket arm, so my first suspicion is that I didn't do a great job when I put the cam cover back on. But I've gone through and retightened all the bolts and the smell is still there. I also have a suspicion that maybe I didn't tighten the oil filter all the way. Could this be it? I didn't torque it down. Anywhere else I should check or suggestions on how I can find this leak?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 05:19 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

It sounds like you make have multiple issues here. The start button could be related to the well-documented fuel pump relay issue. Have you had to Recal fixes done?

The oil smell problem could be caused by a leak from the integrated oil filter housing and cooler assembly. These have been known to leak especially when the oil filter housing is over-torqued. It's a PIA to remove the intake manifold to gain access to the oil cooler so you may want to try pressure washing the affected area to help you see the source of the leak.

Another thing to check is the AT cooler / AC Condenser that sits in front of the regular cooling radiator. These sometimes leak and the AT fluid ends up on the exhaust which will smell like burning engine oil.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 10:18 PM
99SK04GTX
2015 WK 

I would suggest cleaning the engine and engine compartment as best you can and using a u/v dye additive like: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
U/V lights are reasonable on eBay and amazon. I like Lithium Ion battery U/V flashlights.
Bilko likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-20-2021, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
shavez00

Thanks all! These are great suggestions I hadn't thought of. Especially looking at the cooler assembly. Appreciate the help. Wish me luck.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-20-2021, 11:50 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If its the cooler, it will leak into the valley between the heads and run out the back. You should see some oil on the bell housing area.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SK04GTX View Post
I would suggest cleaning the engine and engine compartment as best you can and using a u/v dye additive like: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
U/V lights are reasonable on eBay and amazon. I like Lithium Ion battery U/V flashlights.
That's a great tip, I have used UV dye in AC systems and have a UV light but was not aware you could get the dye to add to oil. I have a Ford with a small but annoying oil leak I can't find so I am going to give this a try. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in