Blacking out 2017 summit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-04-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Plaurenz

Blacking out 2017 summit

Picking up my 2017 summit in a few days. I’ve done some research online but can’t seem to figure out the best/cost effective methods of blacking out some of the Jeep. Mirrors, door handles, possibly some of the front chrome pieces. Should I purchase OEM parts, have an auto shop black it out themselves? All suggestions would be great as I’ve never customized a car before. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-04-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Plaurenz

And also if anyone knows where to purchase an OEM black mirror could you post a link please. I can’t find them anywheres.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-05-2020, 07:35 PM
OldPaint

Garage
IMO, likely an ongoing maintenance issue to paint black over chrome or slick factory paint. While I have been retired from the paint & coatings industry for a time now, so may be a tad behind the times, perhaps a coat of a bonding primer (X-I-M 400W white spray comes to mind as an example) followed by an industrial grade black topcoat (used Rust-Oleum V2100 series products exclusively on my XJ).

Based on my own experiences (XJ custom bumpers, skid plates, tire carrier, and grill for instance) ... matte/flat or satin black finishes look the most cool but are inherently softer and less UV resistant than semi-gloss or high gloss coatings.

So, with masking tape/paper and appropriate rattle cans you should be able to achieve the look you are after. Just expect that periodic touch-ups will forever be necessary!

Bob N. 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L, 1999 Cherokee XJ 4.0L (off-road enhanced)

Last edited by OldPaint; 06-05-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added product number

post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2020, 11:51 AM
_R00STER_

Vinyl wrap! Seriously, call up a shop that does vinyl wrapping and let them know you want to delete some chrome. It winds up looking great and is extremely durable.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM
bicster
2016 WK 

Buy a High Altitude instead of the Summit...
post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Plaurenz

Haha never need all of the bells and whistles. Plus the seats on high altitudes are horrible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in