Best electronic brake controller AND eqaulizing hitch - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
tv4fish

Question Best electronic brake controller AND eqaulizing hitch

Hi Guys: New member here.

I have just bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition with the 5.7 Hemi V8.

We plan to pull a 30 foot travel trailer with this vehicle (NOT a fifth wheeler) - provided this COVID crap goes away - and I am looking for suggestions for the best brake controller and equalizing hitch to put on.

Any/All suggestions will be appreciated -anybody have a similar setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
tv4fish

Oh - another thing I was going to ask about - I have used a Scangauge II in my vehicles for quite a few years - One thing that I am noticing is that the engine runs a fairly high temp (around 200 degrees) - Is this normal?
post #3 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 07:50 AM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Using my dash temp readout, 200degF seems pretty typical, even for normal around town driving without towing.

I read a lot and watched lots of YT vids and found Tekonsha P3 (90195) was very well-liked. Have not installed it yet.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
tv4fish

Thanks 9496ZJs:

That controller is exactly the one I am looking at. Let me know how your install goes....?

And - yes, that 200 degrees is what I am typically seeing - and, I have not trailered anything yet. Just seems higher than what I see on my other vehicles.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Gryphon439

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4fish View Post
Hi Guys: New member here.

I have just bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition with the 5.7 Hemi V8.

We plan to pull a 30 foot travel trailer with this vehicle (NOT a fifth wheeler) - provided this COVID crap goes away - and I am looking for suggestions for the best brake controller and equalizing hitch to put on.

Any/All suggestions will be appreciated -anybody have a similar setup?
I use the Curt Echo brake controller and have pulled a few trailers with it so far. I love it, the best part is that I can use it on my WK2, my Reasons, and even my XJ without having to install pigtails on all of them.

As for a stabilizer hitch, I have not pulled anything yet that requires that so I can't be helpful there. My travel trailer is pretty small and the wind has not been an issue fire stabilizing. Mine is 16' and 2000 lbs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

'91 XJ: 3" lift on 31's
'18 WK2: High Altd DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 11:08 AM
RAVN8R

I prefer the Redarc brake controller because of the installation ease. It plugs right into the Jeep factory harness under the dash. It is also an outstanding controller.

For hitch I use the Blue Ox Swaypro
post #7 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Gryphon439

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
I forgot that the Curt Echo plugs in in-between the trailer and vehicle. The brakes are then controlled via an app on your phone. It's great!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

'91 XJ: 3" lift on 31's
'18 WK2: High Altd DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Donystoy
2017 WK 

I recently installed a Tekonsha 90160 Primus that was recommended by a friend with a similar vehicle. Cheaper than the P3 and works great. Uses the Tekonsha wiring adapter cable that plugs directly into the WK2 receptacle under the dash. Installation was very quick and simple although I did make an additional bracket to bring the controller a bit closer to the driver.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Donystoy
2017 WK 

I recently installed a Tekonsha 90160 Primus that was recommended by a friend with a similar vehicle. Cheaper than the P3 and works great. Uses the Tekonsha 3045-P wiring adapter cable that plugs directly into the WK2 receptacle under the dash. Installation was very quick and simple although I did make an additional bracket to bring the controller a bit closer to the driver.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-01-2021, 05:44 PM
jjmagoo
2014 WK 

I have the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite version on my 2014 GC Limited with the factory tow package and really love it because of the very simple design, the only thing you see is the knob. I drilled a small hole in the console just below the shifter and hid the electronics box in the center console when I had all the trim off. I use it quite often and it works like a charm. Oh and direct plug and play into the factory wiring plug.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...RoC5wsQAvD_BwE

2014 GC Limited (Duchess)
1997 TJ Sahara (Bailey) - SOLD
post #11 of 16 Old 01-09-2021, 10:46 PM
maytag76

This seems as good as any thread to ask a related question.

I bought a car that comes with an enclosed trailer. The trailer is 8.5'wide, 20' long and less than 6' tall (is been shortened). Combined weight of trailer and contents is just under 5000lbs. Equipped with an anti sway hitch.

I'm planning to tow it 600 miles home with my '13 GC overland summit, with the factory tow package and the 5.7 hemi.

Have any of y'all towed this much weight / distance with your WK2? Any advice? Concerns?

Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
post #12 of 16 Old 01-10-2021, 06:30 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been a few over the years. The weight won't be noticed but the WK2 wheelbase combined with the trailer size is not ideal. The shorter trailer height will help a lot but it still may require quite a bit of driver attention as the sail blows you around as it catches the wind from passing trucks. If you can avoid interstates, it would be a much more pleasant drive. Certainly doable and safe but anticipating cross winds and air flow disruptions will be a must.
maytag76 likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #13 of 16 Old 01-10-2021, 06:53 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
I bought the Tekonsha 90195 P3 brake controller for 2018. It is a plug and play right into plug under the dash. It took the Tekonsha 3045-P adapter to plug the controller into the plug under the dash. Iíve only pulled trailers with mine a few times. I have a pickup for towing, which I prefer to use.

Last spring we toyed the idea of a travel trailer that could have been Jeep towable. Ended up with a 5th wheel. I have a flatbed and two enclosed trailers that bumper pull.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #14 of 16 Old 01-10-2021, 08:45 AM
maytag76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There have been a few over the years. The weight won't be noticed but the WK2 wheelbase combined with the trailer size is not ideal. The shorter trailer height will help a lot but it still may require quite a bit of driver attention as the sail blows you around as it catches the wind from passing trucks. If you can avoid interstates, it would be a much more pleasant drive. Certainly doable and safe but anticipating cross winds and air flow disruptions will be a must.
Thanks, ColdCase.
The tandem axle and anti sway hitch are what made me think I'd be okay. But I might rethink this. Most of those miles are I-80 across Wyoming. there are few drives i hate worse than that one anyway, haha.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 Old 01-12-2021, 03:29 PM
GPSBob
2015 WK 

I recently installed the Red Arc controller. As has been said above, I like how the module can be hidden in the center console, and only the small knob has to be accessible. I made a flag bracket, and mounted the knob behind the "garage door" below the HVAC/radio controls, so it's out of sight when not in use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in