Backup Camera goes Crazy!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
Backup Camera goes Crazy!!

We just pulled out of the RV Park to return home when this happened...before we drove 8 blocks.

All trailer connections were double checked and normal! We always plug in our iPhone and use Apple CarPlay to listen to audio books. My wife plugged in the phone as normal as we approached the freeway. It refused to connect. She tried the plug multiple times and got frustrated. I thought it was her...she is not electronically gifted. I pulled over.

I plugged it in and the backup camera came on. (I was in PARK) Lovely image of our trailer. I pressed the X in the upper right corner and it shut off, it waited a second and came right back on. I repeated this about 20 times or so. I also moved the shift lever a number of times.

Then I notice that the phone icon was blinking. I pressed it and it read "Phone is not paired" (something like that.) No attempt to pair was successful and to add to the frustration, NO other icon on the screen worked. I tried them all.

All the while, the backup camera kept coming on and each time I would have to X it off before trying another button. Grrr. I went through about 50 more tries.... no exaggeration.

Finally... I just shut the Jeep off. I should have done that at first but never needed to do so before. I waited about 30 seconds or so and cranked up again.... SAME THING!! Grrrrr. When I shut it off, I made sure was not still in accessory mode. I even opened the door.

All the time we are sitting on the shoulder. I waited for a break in traffic, pulled a U-Turn and headed into a nearby parking lot. The whole scene continued.

I though... OK.... Next, I'll scan for codes and clear anything I find, if that does not work, I'll disconnect the battery, wait a while and try again.

I shut down the motor and fumbled around for my Bluedriver scanner. Found it but decided to try one more time first. The motor had been off about a minute this time. When I cranked up, the system rebooted as evidenced by the boot up greeting (this did not happen before.)

Da Daaaa..... Everything worked fine the rest of the day and all the way home. No problem since.

I theorized that the very threat of using the BlueDriver frightened the system in to working correctly. How else can you explain it? Maybe Uconnect software was written by the same programmers that wrote Windows?

Oh Oh.... all this time, the Sirius Radio worked great, only we did not turn it on...we never use it. It was very very loud and we couldn't turn it down because the backup camera kept obscuring all the controls. The volume knob had no effect. We had to press the "Mute" button to shut it up. Of course it was stuck on an awful station playing the worse Jazz you have ever heard. Even "Barney" would have been better.

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in