Automatic braking when backing up? Tell me there is! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

Automatic braking when backing up? Tell me there is!

Ok, this is weird. I'm still getting used to our new 2019 JGC Altitude, and today I drove it to the office for the first time. Now, where we park, it can be tight so I was positioning the Jeep to hopefully avoid any dings, and leaving enough room for another vehicle. There is a landscaped strip behind where we park, including a large tree stump (the tree was removed years ago, but the stump remains about 3 feet out of the ground)...yes, it's enough to hit a vehicle! There are also some lower flowering bushes. Of course, I knew these plants and the stump were there, so I was being careful backing up....back & forth a few times to get positioned just so. Then, when slowly backing up watching the back-up camera...it started beeping, which I expected, but I didn't expect to feel a "bump"! I did not have my foot on the brake, as I recall...just slowly backing up. Could this Jeep have park assist or some such thing when backing up if one of the sensors touches or gets real close to a flowering plant it automatically brakes? Or, did I really blow it and back into the tree stump? I don't believe I did as I was being so careful, and it is several feet behind the edge of the paving. It's just one of those things that is driving me crazy to figure out what happened. No visible damage whatsoever. Everything seems fine. I do have a tow hitch so that could save the day if I ever get too close to an obstruction, but I really don't think I was that close to anything solid.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I feel so dumb, but I really am perplexed as to what happened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

Is this what "ParkSense" is all about? If so, I don't think I like it one bit! I do not have an owner's manual yet, as Jeep doesn't include it with new Jeeps anymore, sadly. I'm sure there is information about this feature in the manual. I'm still interested in hearing other's experiences with what happened to me...it absolutely freeked me out!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM
TowstR
2011 WK 

Yep, rear brake assist must be enabled. Startling isn’t it?!
You should be able to turn it off in the Settings menu under “Rear parksense braking assist” (or something similar.)

2011 Inferno Red Limited l Hemi l Lux Grp II

post #4 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

From the online owners manual:

PARKSENSE REAR PARK ASSIST — IF EQUIPPED
The ParkSense Rear Park Assist system provides visual and audible indications of the distance between the rear fascia and a detected obstacle when backing up, e.g. during a parking maneuver. If your vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, the vehicle brakes may be auto- matically applied and released when performing a reverse parking maneuver if the system detects a possible collision with an obstacle.

NOTE:
• The driver can override the automatic braking function by pressing the gas pedal, turning ParkSense off via ParkSense switch, or changing the gear while the auto- matic brakes are being applied.
• Automatic brakes are not available if the vehicle is in 4LO.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if there is a faulted condition detected with the ParkSense Park Assist system or the Braking System Module.
• The automatic braking function may only be applied if the vehicle deceleration is not enough to avoid colliding with a detected obstacle.
• The automatic braking function may not be applied fast enough for obstacles that move toward the rear of the vehicle from the left and/or right sides.
• The automatic braking function can be enabled/ disabled from the Customer-Programmable Features section of the Uconnect System.
• ParkSense will retain its last known configuration state for the automatic braking function through ignition cycles.
The automatic braking function is intended to assist the driver in avoiding possible collisions with detected ob- stacles when backing up in REVERSE gear.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #5 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

Thanks guys! Yes, it is startling? At least I didn’t hit anything hard only a flowering bush!.....at least I think! When something like that happens it stays with you and it plays games with the mind for sure! I have the button on the dash so maybe I’ll turn Park sense off in certain situations like when pulling a trailer! 🙂. Now I know what that button is for...lol! Where’s my owners manual anyway?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
Thanks guys! Yes, it is startling? At least I didn’t hit anything hard only a flowering bush!.....at least I think! When something like that happens it stays with you and it plays games with the mind for sure! I have the button on the dash so maybe I’ll turn Park sense off in certain situations like when pulling a trailer! 🙂. Now I know what that button is for...lol! Where’s my owners manual anyway?
Here is your owner manual:

https://pictures.dealer.com/tomahlch...711b0440a6.pdf
post #7 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are quite a few paragraphs describing rear park assist in the user guide that you should have been provided, but it doesn't seem to mention the braking part.

There are a couple threads around here somewhere discussing how to adapt and use rear park assist. When it first came out, some were surprised by it and returned the Jeep to the dealer to have the transmission fixed. Some folks get constant slamming on the brakes as they back out of their garage.

I think most just disable the braking part.

In recent models, rear park sense features are suppose to be automatically deactivated when a trailer is connected to the hitch electrical socket.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.....
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Matt_H

yeah - that was my first experience with it on my GC. I was backing a trailer into the driveway and it made a sudden and jarring noise (like grinding gears on a manual transmission) and brought the vehicle to a stop. It thought I was going to hit the trailer, lol. but when towing, I can just press the button on the dash and all is fine.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM
slim0531

Took me a while to get used to it. It forced me to slow down when backing up in my driveway which is narrow. I experienced some Kind of whiplash backing up the first few weeks of ownership and eventually learned to back up slowly which did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 05:49 PM
grayWJ4x4
1936 CJ2A 

Your owners manual should be in the glove compartment in a green Jeep pouch.
At least mine is anyways.
2019 Laredo, got it back in May.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-12-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
96OrvisEd

That’s not the whole manual only a couple of excerpts/pamphlets. The full manual is much larger. I called Jeep again and it supposedly is on the way. I have that green bag thing with the pamphlets. Just some basic information....Not sufficient. I can look online yes but I prefer the manual. I actually will read through the manual. If I had been given one with the Jeep I probably would have learned about that Park sense button on the dash before going through what I experienced, which was unsettling as I was certain I’d damaged my new Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayWJ4x4 View Post
2019 Laredo, got it back in May.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 AM
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayWJ4x4 View Post
That's the owner's guide. The owner's manual is over 600 pages.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in