1Likes
  • 1 Post By islandjeeper2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Auto lift boot beeps but does not lift.

My 2011 3.0CRD Limited has the electric boot lid, that lifts and closes by a choice of ways.

I can either lift and let go of the handle on the outside, blip the corresponding button on the remote twice, or press a button on the overhead console. If the boot is open, there is another button just inside the boot, on the left hand side which is normally used to close it. The remote and the external boot handle can normally be used to open it while the car is still locked.

Sometimes, when I go to open it, instead of it opening, I hear 3 rapid beeps (more squawks really!), and occasionally, if I try another way, it will open, but often that also does the beeps. If I unlock the car first with the remote, it will still not open the boot, but if I open the drivers door, with or without using the remote to unlock it first, I can then open the boot with no problems.

I think a message pops up on the dashboard, but you can't read it, as by the time you have got to the front door, the display has gone off again.

The other day, I had been out doing bits and peices on the car, and the boot had been open for several hours. None of the ways to close the boot would work, and when I tried the button on the roof console, the message on the dashbard was the standard "put your foot on the brake to start" one.

In the end, I had to manually shut the boot, and as soon as it closed, I heard the latching mechanism lock it shut. It then worked as normal.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong when it refuses to work?

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 AM
bpsmicro
2017 WK 

I believe you may be in the wrong forum, but I know with my 2017 WK2 Overland, the owners manual does say that if it's left open for a long period of time, you won't be able to close it via the electrics. In my non-scientific testing, the limit seems to be about half an hour'ish. If I've left it open longer than that, I'll need to manually close to "reset".

But I don't recall having a problem opening, only closing. Yours may be getting "stuck", and the sensor is refusing to force it open for safety. Maybe needs some cleaning/lubrication of the internal parts of the latch.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7l Hemi, all the techy stuff.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 03:37 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

No, this is the right forum. 2011 to current model.

The liftgate should triple beep if you try to open it by the handle when locked. You need to unlock it first. Otherwise it shouldn't beep unless there is binding or an error.

I was trying to find more detail for error type beeps, but I haven't yet.

The security module is different for export vehicles, which may complicate things.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the replies.

That may be it. I presumed that if I had the remote in my pocket, even though the car was locked, it would still open the boot. I will pay a bit more attention to exactly when it does it.

I don't think there is a jamming issue, as apart from the times it has been left open for long periods, and will not shut, the rest of the times, it's just a case of doing it another way, and it works fine.

I must have missed the bit in the manual about leaving it open too long, and now you mention it being about 1/2 an hour, that may well be one of the problems I am seeing, as I often open it when doing stuff, and loose track of time.

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+
post #5 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 PM
islandjeeper2
2014 WK 

When my wk2 is locked and I need to open the trunk I have to press the lock/unlock button on the chrome part above the handle and it will unlock the trunk so I can open. If I don't then I would get those 3 beeps and it won't open
LazyFerret likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in