LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
Appcar-DiagFCA Setting Inquiry

So, I am getting into this whole Appcar thing. So far, I have:

1. Set DRL to High beams
2. Set Fog Lamps to stay on with High beams (Remove Fog Lamp Dropout)
3. Turned on Trailer Connector

I have questions about the things I plan to do:

1. Convert corner reverse light to a turn signal light => Did anyone have to change their electrical wiring harness to accomplish this?

2. Activate Rear Fog Lamps => Did anyone have to add the missing wiring harness between the BCM and rear fog lamps?

Now for the questions about some of the settings in Appcar that I am unsure of their function:

1. One Touch Lane Change (ECU Configuration 02 - BCM Features) => Is there a way to change the number of flashes from 3 to five?

2. Tow Mirror (ECU Configuration 05 - Doors) => What is a tow mirror on our Jeeps? Do they extend like on some trucks?

3. Show Phone Information In Cluster (ECU Configuration 16 - Radio) => Is this where the screen duplicates your mobile phone? Can this be set on any 8.4 Uconnect radio? Does it require a subscription to Uconnect?

4. Performance Pages and EVIC SRT screen (Programming Routines & Vehicle Configuration 1) => What are performance pages? Is it useful for my V6 Laredo?

Even if you haven't done any of these things, but you know what the features are, that is really helpful for me.

2015 GC Laredo

"I've got an appetite for destruction, and I scrape the plate."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 AM
GPSBob
2015 WK 

I did #1 on my 2015 Limited - Convert corner reverse light to turn signal. No changes to wiring harness needed. I was concerned that the trailer connector might work differently, but that still functions same as always. I just had to put amber lamps in the corner reverse/now turn signal sockets. I also installed LEDs in the one remaining reverse light on each side, just to make them a little brighter.

As a test, I also switched back to the original configuration (corner lamps are reverse lights), then back to turn signals again. Worked as expected each time.
post #3 of 45 Old 02-14-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSBob View Post
I did #1 on my 2015 Limited - Convert corner reverse light to turn signal. No changes to wiring harness needed. I was concerned that the trailer connector might work differently, but that still functions same as always. I just had to put amber lamps in the corner reverse/now turn signal sockets. I also installed LEDs in the one remaining reverse light on each side, just to make them a little brighter.

As a test, I also switched back to the original configuration (corner lamps are reverse lights), then back to turn signals again. Worked as expected each time.
Awesome information. I am definitely gonna do that one next. Thanks!

2015 GC Laredo

post #4 of 45 Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
I am really interested in #3:

Show Phone Information In Cluster (ECU Configuration 16 - Radio) => Is this where the screen duplicates your mobile phone? Can this be set on any 8.4 Uconnect radio? Does it require a subscription to Uconnect?

It sounds kinda like it should be self-explanatory, but I want to make sure it is what it sounds like.

Anyone?

2015 GC Laredo

post #5 of 45 Old 02-16-2020, 10:47 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Carplay or android auto requires the hardware in a newer radio. I wouldn't think phone info duplicates the phone screen, but rather status info like who's calling. But dunno. Duplicating the phone screen requires an app (software), its much more than a simple setting.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 45 Old 02-17-2020, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Carplay or android auto requires the hardware in a newer radio. I wouldn't think phone info duplicates the phone screen, but rather status info like who's calling. But dunno. Duplicating the phone screen requires an app (software), its much more than a simple setting.
I kinda figured that, but I was not sure. I have heard there was an app that handled it, but I have never seen it so...

Thanks ColdCase.

2015 GC Laredo

post #7 of 45 Old 02-20-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
For all those interested, I accomplished the "Convert corner reverse light to a turn signal light" this afternoon. The settings are easily found under the Programming Routines. Set the initial setting to DISABLE (for European settings), then after you hit next there will another two settings that need to be set to EUROPEAN. That's all that's to it.

The hardest part is replacing the bulb with an Amber bulb, because all the books were wrong about the bulb type. It is a #7044, but the books have it as #216. You replace the outer backup light (now turn signals) bulbs and it's done.

2015 GC Laredo

post #8 of 45 Old 02-21-2020, 11:16 AM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
As a slight aside to this, does anyone know if leaving the ELM327 plugged in is likely to run the battery down?

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+
post #9 of 45 Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyFerret View Post
As a slight aside to this, does anyone know if leaving the ELM327 plugged in is likely to run the battery down?
I would guess not, unless you had a laptop hooked up and running. Otherwise, there would be no way for it to pull any power.

2015 GC Laredo

post #10 of 45 Old 02-26-2020, 01:29 PM
gcburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09JeepCommander View Post
I would guess not, unless you had a laptop hooked up and running. Otherwise, there would be no way for it to pull any power.

I think it does power up when connected to the port.....at least the led on it does.
post #11 of 45 Old 02-26-2020, 04:43 PM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburke View Post

I think it does power up when connected to the port.....at least the led on it does.

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to check my one out, just not sure how I can get to a point I can measure the current it draws.

If it does stay powered up, with the Bluetooth etc, then over time it could have an impact on the battery life.

post #12 of 45 Old 02-26-2020, 05:42 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyFerret View Post
The diagnostic connector is supplied with full time power. So the ELM327 is going to draw a little power but there are also a few computers drawing keep alive power when everybody else is asleep. Power draw of an ELM327 based OBD device is in the noise by comparison. I leave mine always connected and have not noticed an issue, even after setting a week.

If you are worried about it, there is a diagnostic connector fuse you can pull, M30 in early models. Although its probably easier to remove the OBD device and throw it in the glove box.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #13 of 45 Old 02-27-2020, 10:51 AM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The diagnostic connector is supplied with full time power. So the ELM327 is going to draw a little power but there are also a few computers drawing keep alive power when everybody else is asleep. Power draw of an ELM327 based OBD device is in the noise by comparison. I leave mine always connected and have not noticed an issue, even after setting a week.

If you are worried about it, there is a diagnostic connector fuse you can pull, M30 in early models. Although its probably easier to remove the OBD device and throw it in the glove box.

Cheers, it was mainly an idle question, as like you say, it's just as easy to leave it in the glovebox. I was reading some bits on Google, and it seems to be an often asked question, without any real answers, so I was just wondering if anyone on here had discovered the answer.

My car can only stand for about 5 days, before the battery needs topping up. I actually changed the battery, as I assumed it was going, but the new one is the same. If we ever get some warm weather over here, I might do a bit of looking into why though.

post #14 of 45 Old 02-28-2020, 11:12 AM
Egodriver71
2015 WK 

Quote:

4. Performance Pages and EVIC SRT screen (Programming Routines & Vehicle Configuration 1) => What are performance pages? Is it useful for my V6 Laredo?

Did you make any progress on this?

Which UConnect do you have? RA2, RA3, RA4?

Being a Laredo, if you have an RA3, have you activated the navigation?
post #15 of 45 Old 03-01-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
Quote:

Did you make any progress on this?

Which UConnect do you have? RA2, RA3, RA4?

Being a Laredo, if you have an RA3, have you activated the navigation?

I have not made much progress, because the information I could find on it made it sound like it was not as simple as it sounds. It sounds like none could get it to work consistently.

My heading does not have Navigation and I need to study exactly which one it is, but I think it is an RA3. I'll check and see, because Navi would be nice.

2015 GC Laredo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in