Anyone swapped UAQ headunit into 2014-15 JGC? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM
dcsport

2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Check the Alfa OBD threads for examples of things that can be programed via software.

In the case of newer FCA radios, the configuration parameters than need to be changed are burned into firmware (which is hardware from our POV). So the radio needs to be taken apart to get at the right motherboard connector and a test set carefully connected to reprogram chips and verify it was done right. I don't think the chips need to be replaced but dunno. The work required to decode the proprietary code to make this possible was not cheap and skilled lab techs don't work for free. As far as I know, nobody has figured out how to get to the firmware via the OBD port.

Just saying that the prices may be crazy, but its not that simple.
Gotcha, that's great info!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 AM
NicRuf

Any updates?

Just curious on how those of you who have done the upgrade are liking it after some time has passed. Any negatives yet?

Also I'm assuming you sold the existing radio to infotainment?

Any luck getting the siriusxm guardian app to work with remote start and whatnot?

I'm still thinking about doing it sometime soon. I'm leasing mine now but plan to buy it at the end. I'm assuming they don't want me to do this sort of change while it's under lease.
post #33 of 48 Old 05-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Matt_H

I did the swap and ZERO regrets. Love it. I didn't sell the radio back to infotainment. Mine was a non-nav and they have a glut of them, so they won't buy it. I did mine under lease, and plan on buying at the end as well.

post #34 of 48 Old 05-29-2019, 04:09 PM
dcsport

2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Check the Alfa OBD threads for examples of things that can be programed via software.

In the case of newer FCA radios, the configuration parameters than need to be changed are burned into firmware (which is hardware from our POV). So the radio needs to be taken apart to get at the right motherboard connector and a test set carefully connected to reprogram chips and verify it was done right. I don't think the chips need to be replaced but dunno. The work required to decode the proprietary code to make this possible was not cheap and skilled lab techs don't work for free. As far as I know, nobody has figured out how to get to the firmware via the OBD port.

Just saying that the prices may be crazy, but its not that simple.
So check out this thread (LINK).

After doing some research on how these radios work, what you said above is not accurate, at least not for the 2014+ Uconnect systems. All the brains for settings are outside of the main unit (BCM maybe?), so you can pretty much plug and play any Uconnect radio so long as it has the correct mounting configuration (even the RAM ones will fit). I just put a 2018 Laredo radio in my 2016 Limited and it carried over all my settings; even had the heated seat, wheel, etc. settings enabled automatically. All the user-configurable car settings carried over too. The only catch is if you use a used radio like I did, you must get the security code from the vehicle you got it from otherwise the radio stays locked. Seems to me this is the only advantage of getting it from Infotainment, as they unlock the radio for you ahead of time. Their speal about the radios being "pre-programmed for your vehicle" is hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicRuf View Post
Just curious on how those of you who have done the upgrade are liking it after some time has passed. Any negatives yet?

Also I'm assuming you sold the existing radio to infotainment?

Any luck getting the siriusxm guardian app to work with remote start and whatnot?

I'm still thinking about doing it sometime soon. I'm leasing mine now but plan to buy it at the end. I'm assuming they don't want me to do this sort of change while it's under lease.
I'm not regretting it at all. Super easy swap and if you follow my thread you'll save a ton of money. Love how snappy it is, screen looks better (supposedly a better resolution I heard?), and of course, Apple CarPlay is why I really did this.

I have yet to get the Guardian to work, but my Sirius radio is working great, in fact, I got what's probably the rest of the free trial from the previous owner of the donor car I got this radio from, still active) The Guardian setup screen says I can get the trial to be good until August 4th 2019, so I was trying to activate it but it keeps saying it cannot connect to the server when I try to register. Says to call agent, but I haven't had time to do that yet. I don't care that much as I don't want to pay the monthly fee anyway, but thought it'd be fun to try for the trial period if I can get it to work, but I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work when upgrading from old Uconnects.

2016 WK2 EcoDiesel 75th Limited - ACC, Coil susp, K&N Cold Air, NAV
post #35 of 48 Old 05-29-2019, 07:11 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsport View Post
So check out this thread (LINK).

After doing some research on how these radios work, what you said above is not accurate
Good research, nice thread. Adding to the mod index index thread is on my to do list.

We may be splitting hairs on terms or answering two different questions i.e converting a radio to add functions (like carplay) vs replacing a older base radio with a newer full featured model pull.

The ECU tells the radio what vehicle features are active based on the VIN. The ECU software can be modified to add more features to the VIN, a couple different tools can do that. Other things like sirius and uconnect apps are in the radio and probably tied to the radio ID so they move with the radio.

Anyway its good to know that newer carplay radios can be installed in older models with few if any issues.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #36 of 48 Old 06-04-2019, 10:59 PM
C0mbatChris

2014 WK 

Does the UAQ have HD radio?
post #37 of 48 Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 PM
dcsport

2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mbatChris View Post
Does the UAQ have HD radio?
Yes

2016 WK2 EcoDiesel 75th Limited - ACC, Coil susp, K&N Cold Air, NAV
post #38 of 48 Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM
NicRuf

I finally broke down and ordered one from Infotainment a week or so ago. Just came in today so I'll be trying to get it working tonight. Pretty excited. The youtube video they have seems pretty straight forward so hopefully I don't mess anything up.
Mevans010 likes this.
post #39 of 48 Old 08-06-2019, 07:52 AM
NicRuf

Install was fairly easy and straightforward. Overall a great upgrade. Loving the higher resolutions screen and Apple Carplay is awesome so far. May get rid of my SiriusXM subscription now.

Did anybody ever have any luck getting the Sirius XM Guardian to work after you upgraded?
post #40 of 48 Old 08-06-2019, 06:04 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks for the update.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #41 of 48 Old 08-25-2020, 05:37 PM
darcym12345

Does anyone know what would happen if a USA radio went into a Canadian car? Thanks for reading!
post #42 of 48 Old 08-26-2020, 06:36 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym12345 View Post
Does anyone know what would happen if a USA radio went into a Canadian car? Thanks for reading!
Not directly able to answer, but I have seen similar posts on Charger/Challenger forums. Also search there. They are much more frequented, and more likely of a crowd to swap things.
post #43 of 48 Old 08-26-2020, 09:56 AM
darcym12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post

Not directly able to answer, but I have seen similar posts on Charger/Challenger forums. Also search there. They are much more frequented, and more likely of a crowd to swap things.
Can I ask what the best forum is?
post #44 of 48 Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym12345 View Post
Can I ask what the best forum is?
Well, I am on ChallengerTalk.com, there is also ChallengerForumz.com, ChallengerForum.com, ChargerForums.com, ChargerForumz.com, And a catchall, LXForums.com...
They all say they are the best...
Also there are some Ram forums with tons of activity.
post #45 of 48 Old 03-14-2021, 01:45 PM
Tortilla Chris
2015 WK 

I've got a 2015 WK2 Summit 4x4 and am thinking of getting the Infotainment UAQ head unit upgrade. Does anyone know if you get new system apps like the "Off Road Pages" with this? That is not something that my vehicle currently has.

Thanks!
Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in