Anyone swapped UAQ headunit into 2014-15 JGC? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 40 Old 10-03-2018, 06:17 AM
bpsmicro
2017 WK 

Cool. I recently jumped from Windows Phone to Android. My wife's vehicle has CarPlay/AndroidAuto, and I can see the benefit. I can see myself doing this upgrade in my Overland, since it *appears* I'd lose nothing at all. The only decision I'd have to make is whether to get Nav, or just stick with Waze/Google Maps.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7l Hemi, all the techy stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Keep in mind the built in Nav maps may be out of date and not easily undateable where something like apple maps is usually much more current... but then if you are out of cell coverage where your device can't get the maps, its nice to have built in maps.

You need both

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #18 of 40 Old 10-04-2018, 07:20 AM
mex2309

I bought the one from Infotainment with Nav. I did the installation myself, it's pretty painless, just take your time.
Overall, I'm really happy to have it done. Not only is Android maps awesome but talking to google voice for text messages/music/nav/etc is pretty great while driving.

2015 GC Overland -Tech pkg -Harmon Kardon- 2018 4C 8.4 Nav Sys

post #19 of 40 Old 10-04-2018, 07:26 AM
bpsmicro
2017 WK 

Thanks for that report. I've spent many hours inside dashboards of various vehicles over the years, so I have no concerns about the install.
I seem to recall last year Infotainment had a "Black Friday" sale or something. I guess I'll just monitor and if they go on sale again, I'll jump on it.
And yeah, I'll probably grit my teeth and pay for the Nav, for the reasons mentioned before.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7l Hemi, all the techy stuff.
post #20 of 40 Old 02-05-2019, 03:46 PM
paula20744
2004 WJ 

I traded in my 2011 wk2 70th Anniversary for a 2014 wk2 limited. I did this to get all the options, I was about to reverse engineer in my 2011 wk2. I just installed the UAQ Uconnect. I like it, but I wanted the Uconnect assist, although I have not check to see if it still works. Still working on getting the heating options to work. The added unit I bought, I’m having problem getting it to work. As For paying the higher price, it was worth it. The Uconnect was set to my jeep’s Vin number, so I do not have to go to the dealer. And Sirius also has my vin tag to the UAQ. Also, I will get 350.00 when I sell back my old unit. For me, it's more of a bother to sale in on-line. I still have my 2004 Wj limited and I’m about to change back the Joying radio to the RB1 with all the OEM options including my Uconnect. My 18x8.5 OEM Stealth wheels for the UK Model are refinished. Now I’m looking for the right 255 55/r18 tires. With the grill finished, it will look like the Export Stealth Model. This is street Jeep, not for off roading. Sometimes it’s not about the cost… it’s more about what I want or dream of having.
post #21 of 40 Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM
NicRuf

Hi Paula,

Can you clarify what you mean when you say Sirius has your vin? One of the big drawbacks of the UAQ swap out from Infotainment is the issue where you lose access to the app to remotely start the car, get mileage, location, etc.

Are you saying you were able to retain that?
post #22 of 40 Old 02-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Matt_H

Do you lose access to in-car uconnect apps such as Pandora and Slacker? Or just the remote cell phone stuff like diagnostics and cell phone unlocking of the vehicle?
post #23 of 40 Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 AM
NicRuf

My understanding is that those apps would still work, but you probably wouldn't use them as you'd use Apple Carplay or Android Auto to access whatever apps you want. Yeah I think you just lose access to the functionality from the uconnect app like remote start, location, diagnostics, etc.
post #24 of 40 Old 04-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Matt_H

I did it. They said they were back-ordered, but I ordered last weekend, it shipped Wednesday, arrived today, and took less than 30 minutes to install. VAST majority of the time was fighting and wiggling the connectors off the back of the USB hub and the like. but seriously is like a 15 job. It's awesome. I also like the updated overall interface of things like climate and radio - not a big change, but enough that it is nice. I'm so stoked to have CarPlay for navigation. I swear the backup camera looks clearer, but that could be my imagination (not going to swap back to check).
post #25 of 40 Old 04-06-2019, 09:29 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks for the follow up

post #26 of 40 Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 AM
NicRuf

I keep thinking about getting it. I have a 2017 Summit and wish I had the Apple Carplay. What did they tell you about updating the software over time? I know you cant get the over the air updates anymore.
post #27 of 40 Old 04-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Matt_H

Nothing. the last update was over a year ago? I can't even remember. My stance is I'll deal with it then. The benefit is worth it to me.
post #28 of 40 Old 04-08-2019, 09:36 AM
NicRuf

Yeah makes sense. I think i'm going to do it once my lease is up next June. Planning on buying the jeep at the end of the lease.

Biggest thing I'll miss is the remote start from the phone. That's pretty handy but I can live without that I guess.
post #29 of 40 Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM
dcsport

2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I did it. They said they were back-ordered, but I ordered last weekend, it shipped Wednesday, arrived today, and took less than 30 minutes to install. VAST majority of the time was fighting and wiggling the connectors off the back of the USB hub and the like. but seriously is like a 15 job. It's awesome. I also like the updated overall interface of things like climate and radio - not a big change, but enough that it is nice. I'm so stoked to have CarPlay for navigation. I swear the backup camera looks clearer, but that could be my imagination (not going to swap back to check).
I wonder if the backup camera looks better because of the screen resolution change? I heard the touchscreen was updated on the 2018+ to a better screen, so that would make sense!

Anyone done this swap on their own at all? I did this swap on my 2015 Mustang and was able to do the programming myself using an OBD2 to USB connector I got on Amazon and some freeware Ford software that you can change module settings with. Was hoping there was something similar for the Jeeps? I got my new radio for the Mustang (Sync 3) from a junkyard online for $75 shipped, adding the right USB hub was another $50 and like $12 for the correct GPS antenna. Sounds like the Jeep one is more straightforward, but the programming side of it seems to be why we are stuck with paying Infotainment's crazy prices? They wanted $1500+ for the Mustang swap I did for less than $200.
post #30 of 40 Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Check the Alfa OBD threads for examples of things that can be programed via software.

In the case of newer FCA radios, the configuration parameters than need to be changed are burned into firmware (which is hardware from our POV). So the radio needs to be taken apart to get at the right motherboard connector and a test set carefully connected to reprogram chips and verify it was done right. I don't think the chips need to be replaced but dunno. The work required to decode the proprietary code to make this possible was not cheap and skilled lab techs don't work for free. As far as I know, nobody has figured out how to get to the firmware via the OBD port.

Just saying that the prices may be crazy, but its not that simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in