Anyone swapped UAQ headunit into 2014-15 JGC? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 09-06-2018, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
bottlerocket91

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone swapped UAQ headunit into 2014-15 JGC?

My wife has a 2015 Limited and she's pretty let down that her vehicle isn't equipped with Android Auto. I did some searching last night and found a site that claims the UAQ head unit from the newer WK2s that have Android Auto is a simple plug and play swap along with a new USB hub. Has anyone here done such a swap with success? The maps on the factory setup are garbage and the updates are infrequent enough to make them pointless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-06-2018, 06:38 AM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Numerous folks have done the swap after obtaining the unit from Infotainment. It works fine, but there are caveats including no over the air updates, etc. It's also not sanctioned by Jeep, so if there are issues...you're on your own. This also doesn't solve your concerns with the maps updates, etc.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #3 of 48 Old 09-06-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
bottlerocket91

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
Numerous folks have done the swap after obtaining the unit from Infotainment. It works fine, but there are caveats including no over the air updates, etc. It's also not sanctioned by Jeep, so if there are issues...you're on your own. This also doesn't solve your concerns with the maps updates, etc.
Google maps navigation easily solves my concerns for map updates. Thanks!

post #4 of 48 Old 09-06-2018, 12:29 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Infotainment sells good stuff, expensive but works well. A lot of them out there. Good customer support.

There are less expensive options if the only thing you want to do is mirror your phone's display, but I think Infotainment is the only way for full touchscreen functionality.

I think they will buy your old radio back to ease the pain a bit.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 48 Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
bottlerocket91

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Infotainment sells good stuff, expensive but works well. A lot of them out there. Good customer support.

There are less expensive options if the only thing you want to do is mirror your phone's display, but I think Infotainment is the only way for full touchscreen functionality.

I think they will buy your old radio back to ease the pain a bit.
Do they do anything special or is it just a UAQ unit? They seem to be all over eBay for around half of what infotainment wants
post #6 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 05:43 AM
NicRuf

Does Anybody know if Jeep will do a similar upgrade for you? If infotainment is basically selling the actual unit from the 2018 would keep also do it and possibly support it? I’m sure their fee would be higher.
post #7 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 06:18 AM
NicRuf

I looked on the Mopar site, didn't see anything. Although it seems to say there are no parts in any category I look at so I may be doing something wrong.
post #8 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They have to fiddle with the radio firmware a bit to keep the Jeep computer software happy, something Jeep doesn't seem to be interested doing.

post #9 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 06:44 AM
NicRuf

Crazy. Seems like they are leaving a lot of money on the table given Apple/Android carplay popularity these days. I would think they would get a lot of takers.
post #10 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 07:03 AM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicRuf View Post
Does Anybody know if Jeep will do a similar upgrade for you? If infotainment is basically selling the actual unit from the 2018 would keep also do it and possibly support it? Im sure their fee would be higher.
No, they will not. This swap isn't "approved" by Jeep and since it actually doesn't work "fully" (no OTA stuff, etc.) they wouldn't install it because they can't warrant it to work completely to sepc. It does happen to function in the MY14+ vehicles enough that some folks have opted to swap it in after purchasing from Infotainment.

Folks always have the option to go third party for AA/CP compatible head unit with a Maestro interface, too, as an alternative to the UAQ.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
post #11 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 07:47 AM
NicRuf

I'm considering getting it. I watched the Youtube video on the installation, doesn't seem very hard.

The biggest thing you lose seems to be the uconnect app and the ability to remote start the car and the various other things that gets you.

Their website says it uses a new Sirius Guardian service to replace those things but doesn't look like you can get it to work with this upgrade.

I like the remote start from the app when I'm landing at the airport late at night, car is nice and warm and waiting for me (i travel a lot.).
post #12 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 AM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

You also cannot get firmware updates OTA when the UAQ is installed in a MY14-MY17 vehicle...USB only and they are not available with any frequency that way. You also need to "find" a MY18+ VIN in order to download those updates when they actually are posted.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
post #13 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 PM
bpsmicro
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicRuf View Post
The biggest thing you lose seems to be the uconnect app and the ability to remote start the car and the various other things that gets you.
To clarify, you only lose remote start via the uConnect app right? Normal remote start via the key fob still works?

I ask because I'm toying with this option for my '17 Overland. Being in Canada, we don't have the uConnect app or OTA updates anyway. So my read is I'd actually not "lose" anything at all, since all the stuff I'm readying about being missing isn't available to me anyway.

Brad.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7l Hemi, all the techy stuff.
post #14 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM
NicRuf

Hey Brad, yeah I think you are correct. I don't believe it would effect remote start from the key fob
post #15 of 48 Old 10-02-2018, 03:54 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah you can remote start from the FOB without any radio installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in