JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Anyone swapped UAQ headunit into 2014-15 JGC? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/anyone-swapped-uaq-headunit-into-2014-15-jgc-4324679/)

bottlerocket91 09-06-2018 05:18 AM

Anyone swapped UAQ headunit into 2014-15 JGC?

My wife has a 2015 Limited and she's pretty let down that her vehicle isn't equipped with Android Auto. I did some searching last night and found a site that claims the UAQ head unit from the newer WK2s that have Android Auto is a simple plug and play swap along with a new USB hub. Has anyone here done such a swap with success? The maps on the factory setup are garbage and the updates are infrequent enough to make them pointless.

jim_in_PA 09-06-2018 06:38 AM

Numerous folks have done the swap after obtaining the unit from Infotainment. It works fine, but there are caveats including no over the air updates, etc. It's also not sanctioned by Jeep, so if there are issues...you're on your own. This also doesn't solve your concerns with the maps updates, etc.

bottlerocket91 09-06-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim_in_PA (Post 40341175)
Numerous folks have done the swap after obtaining the unit from Infotainment. It works fine, but there are caveats including no over the air updates, etc. It's also not sanctioned by Jeep, so if there are issues...you're on your own. This also doesn't solve your concerns with the maps updates, etc.

Google maps navigation easily solves my concerns for map updates. Thanks!

ColdCase 09-06-2018 12:29 PM

Infotainment sells good stuff, expensive but works well. A lot of them out there. Good customer support.

There are less expensive options if the only thing you want to do is mirror your phone's display, but I think Infotainment is the only way for full touchscreen functionality.

I think they will buy your old radio back to ease the pain a bit.

bottlerocket91 09-06-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 40341565)
Infotainment sells good stuff, expensive but works well. A lot of them out there. Good customer support.

There are less expensive options if the only thing you want to do is mirror your phone's display, but I think Infotainment is the only way for full touchscreen functionality.

I think they will buy your old radio back to ease the pain a bit.

Do they do anything special or is it just a UAQ unit? They seem to be all over eBay for around half of what infotainment wants

NicRuf 10-02-2018 05:43 AM

Does Anybody know if Jeep will do a similar upgrade for you? If infotainment is basically selling the actual unit from the 2018 would keep also do it and possibly support it? I’m sure their fee would be higher.

NicRuf 10-02-2018 06:18 AM

I looked on the Mopar site, didn't see anything. Although it seems to say there are no parts in any category I look at so I may be doing something wrong.

ColdCase 10-02-2018 06:27 AM

They have to fiddle with the radio firmware a bit to keep the Jeep computer software happy, something Jeep doesn't seem to be interested doing.

NicRuf 10-02-2018 06:44 AM

Crazy. Seems like they are leaving a lot of money on the table given Apple/Android carplay popularity these days. I would think they would get a lot of takers.

jim_in_PA 10-02-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicRuf (Post 40370843)
Does Anybody know if Jeep will do a similar upgrade for you? If infotainment is basically selling the actual unit from the 2018 would keep also do it and possibly support it? Iím sure their fee would be higher.

No, they will not. This swap isn't "approved" by Jeep and since it actually doesn't work "fully" (no OTA stuff, etc.) they wouldn't install it because they can't warrant it to work completely to sepc. It does happen to function in the MY14+ vehicles enough that some folks have opted to swap it in after purchasing from Infotainment.

Folks always have the option to go third party for AA/CP compatible head unit with a Maestro interface, too, as an alternative to the UAQ.

NicRuf 10-02-2018 07:47 AM

I'm considering getting it. I watched the Youtube video on the installation, doesn't seem very hard.

The biggest thing you lose seems to be the uconnect app and the ability to remote start the car and the various other things that gets you.

Their website says it uses a new Sirius Guardian service to replace those things but doesn't look like you can get it to work with this upgrade.

I like the remote start from the app when I'm landing at the airport late at night, car is nice and warm and waiting for me (i travel a lot.).

jim_in_PA 10-02-2018 11:23 AM

You also cannot get firmware updates OTA when the UAQ is installed in a MY14-MY17 vehicle...USB only and they are not available with any frequency that way. You also need to "find" a MY18+ VIN in order to download those updates when they actually are posted.

bpsmicro 10-02-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicRuf (Post 40370967)
The biggest thing you lose seems to be the uconnect app and the ability to remote start the car and the various other things that gets you.

To clarify, you only lose remote start via the uConnect app right? Normal remote start via the key fob still works?

I ask because I'm toying with this option for my '17 Overland. Being in Canada, we don't have the uConnect app or OTA updates anyway. So my read is I'd actually not "lose" anything at all, since all the stuff I'm readying about being missing isn't available to me anyway.

Brad.

NicRuf 10-02-2018 01:45 PM

Hey Brad, yeah I think you are correct. I don't believe it would effect remote start from the key fob

ColdCase 10-02-2018 03:54 PM

Yeah you can remote start from the FOB without any radio installed.

The time now is 03:25 AM.