Anyone with a 2017 or newer GC with MOPAR roof rack rails... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2021, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
cre8nhavoc

Anyone with a 2017 or newer GC with MOPAR roof rack rails...

My wife and I purchased MOPAR OEM roof rack rails from our local dealership. We also purchased a standard roof rack to put on top of that. After we purchased both and had the rails put on, we noticed that there were stickers on them that said MAX LOAD 150 POUNDS. Has anyone with a 2017 or newer Grand Cherokee have the same type of roof rack rails? If so, do you keep to the recommended weight limit or have you exceeded that? If you have (or do) exceed it, what’s the most weight you’ve put on your rack? Problem is we bought it to hold the things we can not fit in our Jeep when we go camping, but now we’re afraid to exceed that limit on the roof racks as we’re not sure what would happen if we did that. We’ve already been on 3 trips this year, and with two of those trips, we took up two vehicles mainly because we’re afraid to load our Jeep up everything and run into an issue.

Any help on this would be great. We really don’t want to have to go buy new rails, and at the same time I don’t want to worry with having to take two vehicles on a simple 3-family camping trip.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2021, 12:46 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The cross bars are weak and the rails can pull out of the thin sheet metal roof panels. You don't want to put too much load on the cross bars, or lifting/twisting loads on the rails, such has buzzing down the highway at 80 with a couple surfboards.

I think there is an aftermarket rack system that bolts on more securely, I'll have to find the thread.

Otherwise there have been several threads on the subject of roof racks, loading, and what folks have done to improve load carrying. The rails/crossbars are the same across all model years but the roof metal seems to get thinner with each body refresh.

You can also consider a hitch mounted cargo carrier. Also be aware that the WK2 cargo carrying capacity (on your door jam) may be lower than you expect.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2021, 01:07 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Two things I can think of so you dont take two vehicles to just go camping.

Bring less stuff.

pull a off road trailer if needed to put stuff in.

Must be a big family? I know we pack a much smaller 2 door wrangler and a big dog. For about 5 days of camping on the big trails two times a year. That includes all water, gear, food. even a small table and two chairs. Tools and parts even a set of axles all 4. more then enough room in that 2 door. I dont have a roof rack. The 70 quart chest is part of the swing out, not higher then the roll bar as well. Packed for these type trails/camping that swing out is well over 300 pounds as well.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2021, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
cre8nhavoc

We don't pack heavy, but with loading everything into our Jeep, we are always lacked of the space for our clothes bag, sleeping bag, and/or pillows & blankets. We usually pack our tent and canopy on the roof rack, but calculating our weight on the rack, we're at 40lbs for the rack itself, 60lbs for the tent, and we're at 35 lbs for the canopy. that puts us at a total load weight of 135 alone. I'd like to throw our cots, chairs, and our collapsible kitchen up there too, but I'm afraid that stuff would greatly exceed the weight limit and cause an issue. If I can get away with that stuff up there too then I feel like we'd be okay with what we've got.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2021, 06:15 PM
Bilko

We don't pack heavy but we do have a 95lb tent/canopy combo?

Put your heavy stuff in the trunk and light bulky stuff on the roof.

If you carry a big cooler this will half fill your trunk so putting this on a hitch mount carrier can free up a lot of interior space.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-30-2021, 05:01 AM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Using the rails for a Thule rooftop cargo carrier. Good spot to chuck all the light stuff like clothes, pillows, blankets and sleeping bags. Also good for soggy wet and smelly dirty clothes for the ride home after beach day or at vacation’s end. It’s pretty aerodynamic.

Have not tried the kayaks or bikes up there yet. I would worry a bit about the kayaks or surf boards yanking upward in strong gusts. See pics on this forum of the nutserts pulling out of the thin metal, mentioned by ColdCase.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-30-2021, 10:34 AM
TXTrailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The cross bars are weak and the rails can pull out of the thin sheet metal roof panels. You don't want to put too much load on the cross bars, or lifting/twisting loads on the rails, such has buzzing down the highway at 80 with a couple surfboards.

I think there is an aftermarket rack system that bolts on more securely, I'll have to find the thread.
Yep, Chief says their roof rack holds up to 330 pounds "dynamic", which I assume means under load and while driving.

Cheers

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk
post #8 of 10 Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Bilko

You may want to checkout this thread

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...k-too-4415149/
post #9 of 10 Old 08-03-2021, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
cre8nhavoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
We don't pack heavy but we do have a 95lb tent/canopy combo?

Put your heavy stuff in the trunk and light bulky stuff on the roof.

If you carry a big cooler this will half fill your trunk so putting this on a hitch mount carrier can free up a lot of interior space.
Thanks for the advice! We bought a trailer cargo carrier last night and this might be the missing piece we were looking for! Yeah, as mentioned above by someone else, we too have a 60lb tent and a 40lb canopy. We were never aware (or made aware) that the limit would be an issue. If you include the weight of the roof rack with the tent and the canopy, that 150 pounds only leaves us with about 15-20lbs for remaining stuff. Was hoping to put the canopy, tent, 4 chairs and 3 cots up there with it, but that might exceed the limit by about 15-20lbs.

I think that the cargo hitch will work best for our needs. I'm thinking our 100qt cooler will go on that, the kitchen on top. In the truck we will most likely hold the chairs, cots, sleeping bags, bags and our dry goods, toss the tent, canopy and the lighter stuff on top.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate the help!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-03-2021, 05:35 PM
Bilko

If you use a hitch-mounted carrier you need to be sure your exhaust(s) are not going to melt whatever you load on the carrier, I learned this lesson the hard way.

Usually, if you have the factory tow hitch this is not an issue but if you have an aftermarket hitch that sits below the rear bumper, you definitely need to check.

Also, check out the space under the rear seats you can store more gear than you would think under here, it just means you can't fold down the rear seats. There are also storage bins under the trunk floor on either side of the spare wheel.

If you regularly go camping, having a packing system really makes sense so you know where to find stuff, maybe that's just me being OCD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in