Alexa, Start My Car - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-03-2020, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Roadijeff

Alexa, Start My Car

I thought I might have found a clever way around paying $25 or more per month for the SiriusXM Guardian subscription to start my Jeep from a remote location when it is far out of range of the key fob. I work in an area that's at least 1/4 mile away from where I park and being able to start it and have the windshield mostly cleared of snow and ice was a nice thing during the first year when the subscription was free.

I know Alexa can be told to start a car if you have it configured for that. Since I do not have Alexa at work I was going to use the Alexa app on my phone to initiate the command. Upon further research, it apparently will not work without paying for that $25/mo subscription.

Quote:
Description
From the comfort of your home, command your Jeep® brand vehicle using your voice. Just ask Alexa on an Alexa-enabled device to remotely lock/unlock your car doors, start/stop the engine, find out how much fuel you have left, and more. If your vehicle has Uconnect Navigation, you can ask to find the nearest restaurants or gas stations and ask Alexa to send the destination to your vehicle so you can begin your trip right away!

SUPPORTED VEHICLES:
• 2019 and newer Jeep Cherokee
• 2018 and newer Jeep Compass
• 2018 and newer Jeep Grand Cherokee
• 2018 and newer Jeep Renegade
• 2018 and newer Jeep Wrangler
• 2020 Jeep Gladiator

REQUIREMENTS:
• Must be equipped with the Uconnect 4C/4C NAV with 8.4-inch Display
• Must be registered for Uconnect + SiriusXM Guardian connected services*

Some of the available commands:
• “Alexa, ask Jeep to start my car.”
• “Alexa, ask Jeep how much gas is in my car?”
• “Alexa, ask Jeep to find the nearest gas station.”
• “Alexa, ask Jeep to send [address] to my car”

BigTizzie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

You need the subscription for Alexa to work with it. It's a bummer.

2014 Black GC Laredo - Retired
2015 Blue GC Limited - Retired
2018 Bright White GC Limited
post #3 of 23 Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 AM
rallen88
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
You need the subscription for Alexa to work with it. It's a bummer.
Yes it is. And the subscription price of $25 / month is flat out ridiculous.

post #4 of 23 Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallen88 View Post
Yes it is. And the subscription price of $25 / month is flat out ridiculous.
I get an email once in a while for 6 months for $60, but then you have to remember to cancel it. I am in IT and I HATE all this subscription service for everything!
underscore likes this.

post #5 of 23 Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Wave of the future!

Very cool, except for the price.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-05-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
I get an email once in a while for 6 months for $60, but then you have to remember to cancel it. I am in IT and I HATE all this subscription service for everything!
That's probably for the SiriusXM satellite radio - totally different than SiriusXM Guardian.

I wouldn't mind paying $60 for 6 months if they sent me that offer. I would activate it in October and cancel it in March and repeat the cycle the following fall.

The only offer the Guardian service has ever sent me was something like 12 months for the cost of 10 months, or something close to that. Of course, they mention in the literature that you can get SiruisXM Guardian for as low as $14.95/mo. What they don't tell you (until you call) is that price does not include such things as remote start, Send & Go and a few other things that would be nice to have. Those are in the $25/mo and higher subscriptions.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadijeff View Post
That's probably for the SiriusXM satellite radio - totally different than SiriusXM Guardian.

I wouldn't mind paying $60 for 6 months if they sent me that offer. I would activate it in October and cancel it in March and repeat the cycle the following fall.

The only offer the Guardian service has ever sent me was something like 12 months for the cost of 10 months, or something close to that. Of course, they mention in the literature that you can get SiruisXM Guardian for as low as $14.95/mo. What they don't tell you (until you call) is that price does not include such things as remote start, Send & Go and a few other things that would be nice to have. Those are in the $25/mo and higher subscriptions.
Nope... looks like the full deal. The email is tied to the VIN of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
SXM.jpg  

post #8 of 23 Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Roadijeff

That's interesting and I would probably sign up for it if winter wasn't already half over. I would like to read more about the "See Offer Details" to see if there was some clause about a 12 month minimum agreement or something along those lines where the rate jumped to the regular monthly charge after the first 6 months.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadijeff View Post
That's interesting and I would probably sign up for it if winter wasn't already half over. I would like to read more about the "See Offer Details" to see if there was some clause about a 12 month minimum agreement or something along those lines where the rate jumped to the regular monthly charge after the first 6 months.
No minimum when I went to the link. You just have to remember to cancel it at 6 months or you are at full price renewal.

I've been thinking about it as winter JUST started here!

post #10 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Roadijeff

OK, I just signed up for the 6 month special. It goes by VIN, so they had to confirm that my GC was eligible. It is apparently a one-time promotion and the disclaimer that she read off indicated that someone cannot keep doing this over and over.

I will set a reminder to cancel it before 08/07/2020 if I do not want to continue at the regular price of $24.97/mo, plus taxes. The number to cancel is not the same as the one listed on the promotion. It is 844-796-4827. Thanks for the tip.
Attached Images

post #11 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 10:24 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
Call me old fashioned, I click the start on my key fob and it starts up. Granted I need to be within radio distance to it to start. Forget the gold ol' days when you had to walk out to your ride to start it up to warm it up.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #12 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 01:21 PM
skjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Guys what about an independent heater? Air2air or air2coolant - both have some pros and cons. Like a Webasto, Eberspächer or Planar?
Can be started via remote up to almost a mile, with a sim card and some very basic rate from the mobile operator can be controlled via phone app just anywhere within the network coverage... Fuel consumption is almost nothing when compared to idling engine.....

current 2x XJ, 2x JK-U, SJ, M38A1, WJ
gone XJ, TJ, XK, ZJ
post #13 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 01:39 PM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skjeep View Post
Guys what about an independent heater? Air2air or air2coolant - both have some pros and cons. Like a Webasto, Eberspächer or Planar?
Can be started via remote up to almost a mile, with a sim card and some very basic rate from the mobile operator can be controlled via phone app just anywhere within the network coverage... Fuel consumption is almost nothing when compared to idling engine.....
Has any one fitted one of these heaters to a wk2? I was looking into it, but I can't find anywhere you could mount the heater without loosing a large lump of the boot space.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+
post #14 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlindblom View Post
Call me old fashioned, I click the start on my key fob and it starts up. Granted I need to be within radio distance to it to start. Forget the gold ol' days when you had to walk out to your ride to start it up to warm it up.
Well, for me being able to start it from anywhere is handy during the winter when I would otherwise get off work and go out and sometimes have to scrape ice off the windows for the next 5-7 minutes. That, plus planning a trip with Google Maps on my phone and sending it to my GC via Send & Go so I'm all set when I get in my vehicle is nice to have, too.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-08-2020, 02:48 PM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
I can plug the address in to my phone and plug it in once I am in the car and it is up on the screen. Already warmed up and ready. Without the $25/month subscription.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in