air suspension system fail again - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
kryogen
2011 WK 

air suspension system fail again

today another fail, air suspension down again in entry exit mode, wont go up... dealer says that it has to spend the night there for diagnostic.

That thing is always failing.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-08-2016, 02:05 PM
JeepGC4me
2011 WK 

There's no doubt about it, it's a frustrating feature when it doesn't work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.6L - Overland
post #3 of 40 Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

When folks have multiple failures of this system, I have to think that there's something specific about that vehicle that is "helping" it to fail. It could be simply bad luck, but given the "most" folks have no failures, when one vehicle has multiple instances, the troubleshooting needs to go beyond just the QL systems.

• 2012 JGC Summit Hemi
• 2016 Subaru Outback Limited
• 2011 Subaru Outback Limited

post #4 of 40 Old 04-08-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
kryogen
2011 WK 

maybe its related to all the other error codes I got last time, dealer is blaming it on the battery.... oh god.

Last time they replaced the compressor, they ripped an air line off and I had to wait 2 more days to get the jeep back.
Last oil change they forgot the gasket.

I'm never buying another car there.

post #5 of 40 Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
kryogen
2011 WK 

I figured that if the compressor was running and not lifting there was a leak.. So i pressed the lift button and listened all around the car. There is an air leak at the rear left wheel. I cant tell where it comes from.
Might be easier to fix at the dealership if there is a leak, at least they will know what to fix.

Anyone ever heard of a leak at the wheel?

post #6 of 40 Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I've read of the connector/fitting at the top of the spring leaking. There was someone here just a bit ago that thought the airbag sprung a leak, but I don't recall seeing any follow up.

You sure have had some bad luck with that Jeep.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 40 Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
kryogen
2011 WK 

They checked the jeep today, both rear air bags have failed and are leaking through the bag, will both be replaced under extended warranty tomorrow. Should hopefully get the jeep working again tomorrow evening.

post #8 of 40 Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
kryogen
2011 WK 

Both rear bags were replaced under extended warranty. Seems to work fine now.
Burned smell maybe came from overheating compressor trying to fill leaking bags.

Dealer says that with our climate of -20 to -40 cel ius winters, that quadra lift has issues at those temps and that he does not really recommend for reliability.

It sucks that i cant get an overland or summit on springs.... So i will have to go for the limited with full package for the next jeep because the air suspension cannot tolerate the cold temps here... Kind of sucks, but the jeep has been down twice, once per winter so far, and its still below 50k miles...

post #9 of 40 Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 AM
bittner72

kryogen - following your posts here .. My 2011 just had the vibration (wife was alone driving it) and now the service air system message. When she came home the compressor was running (I could also smell it) and would not shut off. I pulled the fuse and it's off; maybe off for good as the compressor will not run anymore and the front end seems lower than rear. I live in Texas ... it was 90F. I'm upgrading my autoenginuity tool in the next days to see what I can do on my own. Does anyone have a detailed diagnostic tests? Resistance of various sensors components?
post #10 of 40 Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 AM
JeepGC4me
2011 WK 

Hi bittner72. I have also had quite a bit of trouble with my 2011 Overland suspension. It's finally fixed, but took quite a while, and unfortunately a lot of money. I did learn some things through the process though and would be happy to share what I've learned.

There is very little you can service or check yourself, unless you have a garage setup with the dealer WiTech system. Lots of info that is not available to the average joe and not even to advanced scanners, and all of the system tests need the dealer software. It's very annoying.

If you have a scanner, you can check to see what the system pressure in the reservoir is. It will vary with height and temp, but in normal mode you should be between 120 and 140psi. The dealer can also see the pressures in each bag, you cannot. You can monitor the ride height sensors.

I would suggest as a first step, leave the fuse or relay pulled and leave the vehicle parked for a while. Measure the distances between the top of the wheel well and the ground. Recheck them every 6-8 hours and see if any one wheel (or more) is losing pressure. If it is, you have a leak somewhere either in the solenoid block, plumbing to that shock, or the bag itself. That can give you a place to start. Spraying with soapy water can help isolate it. With my system, I went 7 weeks without any compressor working (while waiting for parts) and I was not loosing ride height. Therefore, no leaks. Keep in mind though that the ride height will go up and down some with temperature as air expands at higher temps, but you'll see this on all the wheels.

If you do have a leak, the compressor will work harder to try to make up the loss of air mass in the system. This can cause excessive wear on the compressor.

Let me know what this reveals. Incidentally, this is the same way the dealer will test for leaks!

Sinisterod likes this.

post #11 of 40 Old 05-11-2016, 07:07 PM
bittner72

Thanks JeepGC4me. I read all your posts as well! So I'm still waiting for an update from Autenginuity (need a HW security dongle). After that I can check on the pressure. The car is not moving down but it is down, 2 days now. I'm not driving it as I don't need to. I just ordered the green relay for the compressor as the compressor does not work and the fuses are fine. I'm not afraid to hook up nitrogen if I have to; but as you say, if I can't do all the commands to the system with my AE tool, then I'm off to the dealer....There is also a note in the AllData FSM about water being in one of the compressor lines (we just had some flooding here in Houston so possible even if we never went through real deep water) Will update as I learn more. I don't even mind spending $2k if they could get it right the first time.
post #12 of 40 Old 05-11-2016, 07:19 PM
JeepGC4me
2011 WK 

The only way water could get into the system in a flood is if it was drawing in air at the time the water hit the intake. There is an intake line to the solenoid block, and a desiccant on the end of it. The intake is up inside the passenger side fender, fairly high. Your Jeep would be half under water in order for it to reach it.

You might consider taking it to the dealer to have them check the air mass calculations. That will tell you if you've lost nitrogen. If you did, they could recharge it and you could then park it and set it to OR2 to start to measure the ride heights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #13 of 40 Old 05-13-2016, 06:58 AM
bittner72

Update; I tried replacing the Green Relay, but the compressor did not turn on and no response from the controls. EVIC is showing up arrow, but no movement. Hopefully AE arrives today and can work this over the weekend.
post #14 of 40 Old 05-13-2016, 07:02 AM
JeepGC4me
2011 WK 

There is the green relay, but there is also a fuse. I assume you have verified both?

Also, if the system goes into "plant mode" usually because there is not enough air mass, it will not operate at all. It does this to try and preserve whatever ride height it still has. I believe you can clear it if you have a scanner, or disconnect the battery for long enough, but if it still detects too little air it will freeze the system again.

post #15 of 40 Old 05-13-2016, 07:41 AM
bittner72

Yes fuses ok, I'm hoping to be able to see system pressure with the scan tool. I don't know how to get "air mass"; it must be an inferred value knowing system volume and pressure.??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in