Aftermarket Wheel Locks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Mike C5

Aftermarket Wheel Locks

New here, just bought a 2020 Grand Cherokee Altitude with the 20" black wheels, Stinger Gray body. My first new vehicle and it's been great so far. I want to put some wheel locks on those black beauties and have done some research. It appears I have 3 choices; 2 aftermarket and one OEM (dealer). Searching through this forum I've learned what is need in terms of thread size (14 mm x 1.5 mm), conical angle 60 degrees with acorn 'bulge' to make sure the conical hole in the wheel is completely covered by the nut (the contact area at the cone needs to be wider for aluminum wheels vs. steel). Overall length I'm looking for is (I think) 38.5 mm. Gorilla spells out these specifications clearly on the lug nut and lock sets they sell but McGard only says 60 degree conical and no mention of 'bulge' that I can find. Can anyone who is using McGard locks confirm that the conical area completely covers the conical hole in the wheel? If so, what part number is that?

I was originally going to go with the Gorillas but read some feedback about rusting and one or two mentioned the splines were wearing out (on other sites). Anyone here have these issues with Gorilla? Are impact wrenches a bad idea with these (or any of the wheel locks)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 08:00 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
This is a mcgard bulge style lug nut (not the right thread, but the right style): https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000COS0GU/..._Ju0-EbM30JPAN

I have a set of locking ones on my Jeep, they fit fine

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Changed out to Gorilla X2 Acorn when I saw how easy most locks are to defeat. These ones spin and sit flush.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Mike C5

Thanks for the replies. I do like the X2. Wish it was available in black.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 AM
ccf15

I swapped out the chrome for black lugs. 2018 Altitude. I have had the lugs on for over a year with no issues.

Lug Nuts:
McGard Bulge Cone Seat Black Lug Nut (Set of 4)
(M14 x 1.5, 22mm, 1.635 length)
$26.88
Amazon

Gorilla Automotive Black Locking Lug Nut
71641NBC
$21.49
Amazon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in