accident - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
esu
1995 ZJ 

accident

Bought this 18 GC lmtd this January, replaced our 15 lmtd. A few less options but we actually liked this one better. ANyway, Saturday morning I get a call from the missus that someone hit the car while it was parked in front of the house and the tire is in the middle of the street and the car is half up on the sidewalk. Cant be I thought but I was wrong. Was hit by a 2012 Durango in which the driver claims she felt dizzy or passed out. Not crazy about driving this after repair, its the wife and kids in it all the time. Rear wheel came off with brakes/caliper/rotor and axle still attached.... Not sure how that happened considering the relatively minor amount of body damage. Wife said if you bent over and looked into the wheel well you could see right into the rear passenger area. What think you, totalled or not?

Attached Thumbnails
jeep.jpg   jeep2.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 01:12 PM
JKM
2018 WK 

Did the Durango hit it square on? Front the damage and breaking the axle off I would assume so. My guess you have meaningful rear frame damage as well. I think it will be written off when you compare the price of the repairs + salvage value, versus market value of a 2018ltd, but that is assuming rear frame damage.
TrailerHawk likes this.

----------------------------
2005 Laredo 4x4 3.7L (SOLD)
2018 Limited 4x4 3.6L
post #3 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 01:27 PM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Yikes, I have seen similar, tons of damage on boths sides, 1 from the impact, and the other from the curb folding the wheel under the car.

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)

post #4 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 01:33 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

That just cannot be good and Yes I would tend to be leery post repair.

I don't think that will "Buff Out"
post #5 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
esu
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
Did the Durango hit it square on? Front the damage and breaking the axle off I would assume so. My guess you have meaningful rear frame damage as well. I think it will be written off when you compare the price of the repairs + salvage value, versus market value of a 2018ltd, but that is assuming rear frame damage.
Not sure , no witnesses, essentially she was traveling parallel to my vehicle,,,
post #6 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

Based on what you are describing (especially the part where you can see into the cabin from the wheel well), sounds like the Durango went under your car, and probably pushed it almost over while going sideways. Then the driver probably reversed and your car sustained more damage by hitting floor.

Likely have lots more damage under, where we cant see.

Sound like frame damage, but obviously without looking/measuring, cant say for sure.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 04:35 PM
Bilko

I am happy to hear that nobody got hurt.

The fact that the wheel/hub sheared off may have prevented rear subframe damage and the bodywork damage looks minimal considering the circumstances. This may be a case of reviewing your Insurance options, if the payout for a write-off works for you it may be the way to go. Even if this is the case get an independent assessment. If you can buy the car back from the insurance company at a good price and it's a straightforward repair, it could be a good option even if you end up with a salvage title. The best outcome is often to get the payout and then buy the car back, fix it and either keep it or sell it.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
That's not an accident. That's what we call a cranial-rectal inversion. Under the influence, texting, whatever. Do not settle for a repair. If her insurance does not accept a total loss without loss to you to replace the vehicle, get an attorney. You don't want it back. Trust me.
TrailerHawk likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #9 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Bilko

I am a foreigner, I forgot the legal option but this may be the best way to go. Can the police obtain mobile phone records in NY for traffic incidents? If it's drugs or alcohol it's difficult to pursue unless the perpetrator was tested soon after the incident. If the OPs insurance covers legal costs this could be a great option, if not this could cost more than many Jeeps.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 06:41 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

Sorry to read this. Contact your ins co. request a rental right away, make certain that the Durango's ins co. will be footing the bill and make sure you get a similar vehicle to the GC.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #11 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 PM
Homer1

Crazy situation..the body damage in the pics don't seem to reflect the actual damage...wheel torn off and all....I'd be very cautious....sorry, and good luck!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #12 of 39 Old 05-11-2021, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
esu
1995 ZJ 

Forgot to mention we both have Geico so it should go somewhat smoother. Also I rented a vehicle, best I could get was a 2020 Cherokee limited.
post #13 of 39 Old 05-12-2021, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
esu
1995 ZJ 

Just spoke to the adjuster. Based on the photos he doesn’t think it’s that bad. He thinks the sheet metal damage is worse than the suspension damage????? Of course he hasn’t seen the car yet and is on his way there shortly. Told him I was concerned about the safety of the vehicle with my wife and kids using it. I told him that since I only had it a few months I obviously wasn’t looking to get rid of it and have to buy something else but I felt the negatives outweighed the positives so to speak. Guess I’ll find out in a little while what the answer is.
post #14 of 39 Old 05-12-2021, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
esu
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esu View Post
Just spoke to the adjuster. Based on the photos he doesnít think itís that bad. He thinks the sheet metal damage is worse than the suspension damage????? Of course he hasnít seen the car yet and is on his way there shortly. Told him I was concerned about the safety of the vehicle with my wife and kids using it. I told him that since I only had it a few months I obviously wasnít looking to get rid of it and have to buy something else but I felt the negatives outweighed the positives so to speak. Guess Iíll find out in a little while what the answer is.
Body shop just sent this photo,,,
Attached Images

post #15 of 39 Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esu View Post
Body shop just sent this photo,,,
Yeah, that is all good in my opinion. Anything that breaks off is great, just bolt on new stuff. Any pictures of the side that was actually hit?

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in