• 1 Post By 2014RedHemiGC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Mayor111

2012 WK 

Garage
Question 7 qts of Oil Disappeared?

Hey Guys,

I just did an oil change on my 2012 Overland. Drained the oil, replaced the oil filter with an MO-899 filter. Added 7 qts of oil. Checked the oil level and it was at the top of the crossed indicator. Drove down the street of my development, turned around, and drove straight home (maybe 100 yards). Got home, and like always, I checked the oil level and there was NO OIL...nothing showed on the dip stick.

I looked under the Jeep and there was a small dab of oil on the filter. I tightened it a bit more and no more oil showed...but I drove back down the exact same road to go look to see if any oil poured out during that 100 yard drive - and I saw nothing.

How could 7 qts just not show on the dip stick yet not be seen on the road? Do I add more oil? Do I drain it and add 7 qts back in? Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 05:55 AM
Comanche_88
1988 MJ Comanche 

First I would double, then triple, then quadruple check the oil level on the stick allowing ample time for the oil to return to the pan after running the engine.

Then I would start by draining the oil to see exactly how much oil is in the engine. Clean everything very well before hand if you want to refill with the existing oil, also use a clean drain pan. Assuming some amount of oil drains out, I would accurately measure the oil even if it means sacrificing the cook's good measuring cup. Once you know how much oil has been lost, if any, you can then start looking at causes.

If the reading on the stick is correct, meaning you lost all of your oil that short amount of time, then refill and run it in your driveway for a short period of time with a tarp and piece of cardboard under the engine. A leak that bad would show up quickly.

If the engine is full and not reading on the stick then the only two things that come to mind is that the oil is not returning to the pan due to a clog in the return ports of the heads (which seems unlikely to occur so suddenly) or possibly a clogged or defective filter issue (which should have a bypass).

Keep us posted. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Mayor111 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 06:52 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Loosing 7 quarts in that short of time should leave a mess on the undercarriage. The shop didn't quite tighten the filter enough one time on our Liberty, it leaked about a pint, and was very noticeable after a few miles.

Is this the first oil change you did on this Jeep? So you put the oil in, checked the level, and then drove off and rechecked? If so, the indicated level would drop about the quart needed to fill the oil filter.

I'm thinking perhaps a dipstick problem, either not seated properly when you check, or you have the wrong dipstick. The wrong dipstick would indicate at the fill mark when it was full. Loosing another quart may drop it below the end. Did you loose oil pressure (warning lights)?
Mayor111 likes this.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Mayor111

2012 WK 

Garage
Took her out for a drive to get more oil. Before adding more, I noticed there was oil now showing on the dipstick. So I added only enough to get to the top of of the cross indicator. Drove around town for a bit - no leaking. My oil pressure was 45 PSI at idle and 55 while driving around 35/40 MPH.

Does that sound right?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds OK, you had plenty of oil in there for the short trip. If you have the wrong dipstick, you have overfilled it a bit, which is not a problem.

I didn't know if this is your first oil change on this Jeep. The process is to drain oil, change filter, add 7 quarts, start engine, check for leaks. Stop engine, wait a minute, check oil level and wherever it shows on the dip stick is your actual full mark, its not necessarily the markings on the dipstick. Occasionally check for oil drips indicating a leak somewhere.
Mayor111 likes this.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 07:57 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

I had a POS parked next to my Jeep a week or so ago with what was around 2 quarts of new oil on the concrete.

Funny that vehicle was still working.

I'd just keep an eye on the pressure and the alarm will go off if there is that much oil loss. Top off on a level surface.
Mayor111 likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 09:00 AM
PwnCall

Garage
You will notice if oil is on the ground at any rate close to that, I punctured an oil filter with a small hole on accident and within 10seconds oil was everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 03:23 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

You didn't lose 7 quarts. It was just low enough that it didn't register on the dipstick. An additional amount was added to bring the level up to the full mark. If you were down 7 quarts the check engine light would be on.
Next oil change remember that it's 7+ quarts to the full line and double check that you have the correct didstick. There was a period where the factory was using the wrong dipstick.
jksgvb likes this.

Grand Cherokee owner since 1994
2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
post #9 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 05:59 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GCTrailhawk View Post
You didn't lose 7 quarts. It was just low enough that it didn't register on the dipstick. An additional amount was added to bring the level up to the full mark. If you were down 7 quarts the check engine light would be on.
Next oil change remember that it's 7+ quarts to the full line and double check that you have the correct didstick. There was a period where the factory was using the wrong dipstick.
Yes, the V8 dipsticks with part numbers ending with a C were reading incorrectly and superseded by the replacement ending in D.
BigTizzie likes this.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #10 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

@ColdCase : You forgot the step where you put the drain plug back in!!! 😃

My drain/filter changes usually take 6 quarts of new oil to show up on the stick, then one more (7th) to the fill line.

If the capacity is 7.3qts, I think the .3 is stuck in the bowels of the engine and cooler regardless.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
@ColdCase : You forgot the step where you put the drain plug back in!!! 😃
If you read carefully, I didn't have a step to remove the plug

but... Hmm... you may have discovered why the OP lost 7 quarts and didn't notice, if the drain pan was still under when he dumped the oil in without the plug....

How many have you dumped oil in without the drain plug.... come on, fess up...

post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 07:56 PM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Never done it, but now I have tempted feit!! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+
post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
Hey Guys,

I just did an oil change on my 2012 Overland. Drained the oil, replaced the oil filter with an MO-899 filter. Added 7 qts of oil. Checked the oil level and it was at the top of the crossed indicator. Drove down the street of my development, turned around, and drove straight home (maybe 100 yards). Got home, and like always, I checked the oil level and there was NO OIL...nothing showed on the dip stick.

I looked under the Jeep and there was a small dab of oil on the filter. I tightened it a bit more and no more oil showed...but I drove back down the exact same road to go look to see if any oil poured out during that 100 yard drive - and I saw nothing.

How could 7 qts just not show on the dip stick yet not be seen on the road? Do I add more oil? Do I drain it and add 7 qts back in? Any help would be most appreciated.
More than likely you have your original OEM dipstick that when shipped from the factory read low after a refill of the recommended 7 quarts for the 5.7L hemi. Those dipsticks read incorrectly as stated above, a newer superseded dipstick was introduced that read correctly with the recommended 7 quart refill.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...stick-3785770/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in