Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2020 Summit Loses Power While Driving

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  2014RedHemiGC 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2020 Summit 2 weeks ago. It had 3,910 miles and had been driven by a Chrysler executive, so I was told. I love it. However, twice, I've had a power issue.

I was driving, on a flat two lane road, after stopping at a traffic light. The car wouldn't go over 15 MPH. Engine was running, no loss of lighting... pulled to the side of the road, turned it off and on, and it was fine.

A week later, I stopped at a light, and started up a mild incline on my way home. The engine rev'd and strained, but the transmission never kicked into the next gear. I made my turn, pulled over, Turned it off, then on, and it was fine.

I left a message with the dealer today. Waiting for a call back. In searching, I found mention of something similar, but for for other models, the latest of which was 2017. I'm concerned, as it is a safety issue. I've been in places where I could easily pull to the side.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 ·
All WK2s since 2014 use the same basic 8 speed transmission, so if you find a similar issue it should be relevant.

The transmission may have gone into some kind of limp in mode, but did you get a check engine or service message?

#5 ·
In the config for the dash, you can enable "current gear" which will always show a little number 1-8 next to the D and you can see what gear the Jeep is in as it up/down shifts. If you enable that, you can see if it is in some odd range at the time, might help.

#6 ·
Thank-you. I'll do that and see what happens.

I thought a couple of months ago, I read about a woman in Canada with a similar issue. But, I can't find the article. I thought the last time it happened, she was driving between Toronto and Montreal. It is in the garage because she is afraid to drive it. I even tried using google.ca when I searched. I'll keep looking.

Haven't heard from the dealer yet. It only had 3,,910 miles, and no accidents. The mileage seemed really low to turn in, but they said it was a Chrysler executive car. Maybe that is why that person turned it in.

#7 ·
This sounds like transmission, but could also be ignition or throttle. Knowing what gear its in when this happens will help for sure.

Sometimes people accidently bump the paddle shifters, but I don't think your model has paddle shifters, right?

#10 ·
diagnosing based on symptoms alone can be almost impossible. Buy a scan tool. They're $30 on amazon or at your local auto store, sometimes you can even borrow them for free. Plugs in under the dash and will give you a code that you can google (or post here, I'd love to know)

#11 ·
Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think this is the first time this has happened to the vehicle prior to you buying it. Did the executive trade it in because of this issue, and I do find it suspect the dealer is blowing you off going on eight days now.

Ask the dealer to provide you a copy of the complete service and repair request history. If it's at a Jeep dealership they typically would save all the work ever looked into on the car and is universal across all Jeep dealers for warranty work (GM has something similar I found out.) Like a database of all work performed when at a dealer. When you bought the vehicle, was there a Carfax? Sometimes this will show what all has been "checked" or service performed/repaired. To me it sounds like some sort of glitch with one of the control modules, but these cars are so complex it will take more than symptoms to diagnose on this forum.

#12 ·
It goes in 8 July. They are also going to install skid plates, which I wanted as road hazard protection. Everyday driving in NJ is a NASCAR experience.

It just came back from the spa treatment (ceramic glaze, WeatherTech instillations, etc.), and didn't do it for the guy doing the work, unfortunately. I was really hoping it happened to someone else, and someone a LOT more knowledgeable about vehicles. It has happened 3 times. The first two were after 20-30 minutes of driving. The last time was just after I'd started it. I turned it on, needed to pull out into traffic, and didn't get beyond 3, a guess there. Someone mentioned having the gears displayed, and now that I have it back, I want to do that. Anyone know which page in the manual has the directions, or the key words in the index? I describe vehicle manuals as being like chemistry texts. They are written for people who already have mastered the subject. And, can be wrong. Per my manual, I'm to have a red and black set of key fobs, and mine are both black. Per the dealer, and other owners. both are black. So, other than knowing personally which keychain is what I've designated 1 and 2, I don't know how to tell them apart, as they are identical. I need to figure out how to set them too, as following the manual instructions didn't seem to work, although, I'm willing to bet that is an operator issue not a manual issue.

I've only put about 125 miles on it in the 4 weeks I've had it, and 1 week it was at the spa (looks GREAT), I need to post some pictures. Have to say, the WeatherTech window guards are better than I thought, in terms of being flush. The guy doing all the instillation and ceramic glaze recommended them. I also ordered the pet protection stuff. They now have "drapes" for the side doors. I like the side door coverage. I'm waiting to see if they stay on and work. I had to purchase another cover from Amazon to have coverage for the back of the back seats. I don't know why the WeatherTech cover does not have an additional part that drapes over the back. And, the guy who owns it has Goldens, so he knows about hair.

When I google, the 2014-2017 Jeeps seem to have the same issue, and it was a software issue. I will ask for the maintenance record. Such a basic thing, and I hadn't thought of it. Rather stupid on my part, especially since I insisted the guy doing the pain protection and undercoating give me a list of what he used so I'd have it when I move to give to someone else. As a rule I go to dealers, especially when in warranty, so there is never any question about the work. And, I purchased the 7 year unlimited mileage warranty. I always purchase them. They pay off. Always. My last Overland had an issue with the rear differential. We had a rental car for 2 months, really, and used it for a trip to Canada. They replaced it 4 times, and that doesn't count the 3 times I'd replaced it at two other dealers. They couldn't get it to line up. I think the previous three times, they gave up and just released it to me, knowing I had the warranty. And, there were two other incidents... ignition didn't work, and I tried to lower a window, after a snow/ice storm. I think there was one other incident, but I can't remember. I just think it is worth it, especially since I can do no work myself. I had wondered if that is why it was turned in. When I purchased it, I really wanted an Overland. REALLY. But, this was the best deal. Another dealer wanted the same price for a 2021 Overland with 25,000 miles. I got a 2020 Summit with 3,910. I wondered if this issue was why it was turned in, and the person simply didn't say why they were turning it in. 3,910 seemed a very very low mileage to turn it in.

So far I like it, except for hydraulic lowering part. I forget to do it when I'm parking. Then it is scaling Mount Everest to get in and out, unless I go around the block. I'm thinking of putting a Jeep keychain on the rearview mirror to remind me. The lack of a CD player is also annoying. I bought an aftermarket one, there appears to be only one model, and I'm not fond of it. Mostly because it goes in the cubbyhole, and changing CDs can be a challenge with the gearshift, but that isn't the fault of the player. I listen to audiobooks, and have a nice CD collection. I've tried putting some on a USB, but get error messages when I try to copy them.

I also miss the front tow hooks. I used them to pull people from the ditch on occasion. I can still use the tow hitch, but.... And, I don't like how the front sits so close to the road. I am having skid plates put on, not because I'm going off roading, because this Jeep is NOT an off road vehicle (I get it is the luxury version, but I really think they missed the mark in not keeping the off road capability. Offer comfort AND tradition. But, that is why I really wanted an Overland.). But, the skid plates serve an important function, I think, in protection from road hazards, at least in the Godforsaken State of New Jersey. There are times one can't avoid something, and skid plates are cheap protection. I went with the Mopar ones. I got lost in all the aftermarket discussions, most of which just seem to say there were cheaper and better alternatives, without giving names. A few people said their OEM ones had worked fine for many years, while off roading, and since I'm not off roading, I figured the OEM ones would work well for me. Someone with time and knowledge, needs to do a thread, with, perhaps, a table, listing alternatives, and the pluses and minuses of various brands, as a Jeep community service. The original ones were $89, I didn't get the fuel take protection. I'm still unsure if I should for road hazard protection, opinions welcome.

I invested in the ceramic glaze, etc. because I've never owned a car this expensive, and I hope it lasts 10 years, especially with a garage, and just doing normal driving. I did the paint protection, undercoating, etc. Preparing for NE Ohio winters. I ordered the wrong style of WeatherTech mud flaps (still unsure if the Mopar JEEP ones would have worked. I did like the idea of them saying JEEP, but the consensus of what I read seem to favor WeatherTech), because I had no idea what I was looking at when they show you two pictures of wheel wells and ask you to pick a style. But, they will exchange them, and the guy said he can put them on in my driveway. With rheumatoid arthritis, I can't, and, I admit I have no idea what I am doing.

This is my 6th Jeep. I've always loved driving one, and at this point, there is a stick with what you know mentality. I could have gone cheaper, but I didn't want to wade into brands and models about which I knew nothing.

I admit that if I had gotten an Overland, I might have tried another Jamboree, but, maybe I'll find a good deal on a used one after I move. Sorry, while I liked the Jamboree experience in my previous Overland, I have to confess I enjoyed the experience in a bug free, driver mud free, air conditioned environment. I liked that at the end of the day, the local fire department hosed down the Jeep and not me.

Also, the best part of the Jamboree experience, and my first one was almost 20 years ago now, was the course for 1st timers. Jeep needs to offer it regionally as a promo event for new owners. Maybe I just had an exceptional course, it was in Kentucky. But, learning where every timer was, the role of the gears... It made me a better driver. I had never used 1 and 2 before, nor did I even know what they were for, and by the time I went, I was on my 4th Grand. I went with a new Overland. It was one of my best life experiences, in air conditioned comfort.

#13 ·
Nice to find someone else who likes the CD player, too! When I ordered my ‘14 I automatically assumed it was standard equipment and didn’t find out it wasn’t until after the order was placed. Fortunately, I was able to add it before the Jeep went into production.

The ZF 8 speed transmissions, especially for the V8, are relatively trouble free and hopefully it’s just a software glitch that can be easily remedied.

On my ‘14 the gear indicator preference can be enabled through the on screen menus, but I agree it takes a little digging to get there.

Good luck with getting it right again!

Reactions: Tarheel6521
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.