2020 GC Limited Towing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Namakan

2020 GC Limited Towing

New to the forum so please be kind as I can’t seem to find the answer to my question. I’m looking at a new GC Limited with V6 and towing package. My largest towing will be a 23’ Sea Ray which weighs about 6000 pounds with the trailer. I’m only going to be towing it locally and mostly just a few miles from my home to a gently sloping landing.

I’m curious if others are towing something similar and if there are any issues given it’s nearly at the vehicles towing capacity?

Does the “rear leveling” feature with the Limited towing package adequately compensate this weight?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 AM
Donystoy
2017 WK 

I recently purchased my JGC with the Hemi for the purpose of towing the same weight. I occasionally tow a small backhoe on a heavy tandem trailer. You should also use a weight distribution hitch that uses torsion bars that transfer weight to the front of the tow vehicle. Also make sure you get the factory tow package.
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Chuckmiller

If the boat and trailer already weigh 6000 you have little room for fuel, gear, ice, etc. Just thinking aloud here.

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You should use a WDH for anything over 3000 pounds. I'm not sure, off hand, if your boat trailer accepts them. My MC trailer does not so I generally use the truck when loaded heavy. With a heavy tongue weight and the leveling shocks the weight is put on the rear axle. Perhaps overloading it, certainly affects dynamics. A WDH spreads the weight over the two axles.

But then we are talking a few miles, so take it slow and easy, avoid highways. If the Jeep squats more than you like, use a WDH. There are air bags you could put inside the coil springs to compensate, however.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
jsflying
2019 WK 

Garage
Agree with Chuckmiller and ColdCase on the WDH - perhaps consider getting the Hemi or Diesel engine to give yourself a little more wiggle room. Usually the issue when you get into the higher weights is the payload capacity, which you have to subtract the tongue weight from, so about 600 lbs in your case right at 10%. That may only leave 450 lbs for all the vehicle occupants and cargo...not much. Manufacturers love to brag about the towing capacity but payload is probably the more important variable. If I go up to my max of 7200 lbs, at a tongue weight of 720lbs (10%) I only have 330lbs remaining for occupants and cargo!
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

For the couple miles to and from the boat launch the V6 will work just fine. You won’t win any races though and if you plan on towing longer distances or at freeway speeds with hills you’ll definitely want the Hemi.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Namakan

Thanks for all the replies. I’m not new to towing by any means I’ve just always had vehicles that towing capacity far surpassed anything I need to tow. After doing more research with the boat and trailer manufacturer we determined the total weight is roughly 5100-5200 pounds.

I pulled the trigger and picked up the GC today! Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in