2019 Jeep GC, didn't know about engine break-in and drove 450miles (round trip). How - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
chris0ner

2019 Jeep GC, didn't know about engine break-in and drove 450miles (round trip). How

So yeah, I recently got a 2019 Grand Cherokee (Altitude) and never got a new car before. It had around 20miles when I got it and during the next few weeks I got it to 180miles on the odo. Long story short, I absolutely had to take the drive from San Angelo to San Antonio which is around 220 miles each way. I didn't know you were supposed to keep the RPM unstable for the first 1k miles or so and not to stay at a constant MPH until after I got back and did some reading. Stupid, right?

Looking at my manual it mentions that the engine does not need extensive break in but its recommended to "drive moderately" during the first 300 miles. This is what it says exactly: https://ibb.co/3R6qD1F

I started the drive at 180 miles on the odo so I think I ****ed up from the beginning. And even though there was quite a few stops and slow-downs on the trip (construction, traffic, towns, lights), it was mostly straight highway. 40miles here, turn right and 100 miles there. I stood mostly between 65-80 and a few times hit 90 to pass trucks and such. And hell, even if I knew about the break-in process, I don't know how I would've driven the recommended way on the craziness that was going on in the San Antonio highways.

Now I don't know how up to date the Jeep manual is because it has said the same thing for at least the past 4 years (the image I posted about 300miles) but EVERYTHING I am reading on the internet is talking about NOT doing what I just did for a brand new engine. I am now sitting at 680 miles and 450 just came from that trip.

How screwed am I in the long term? Is there any way I or a mechanic can check to see anything malignant that might have occurred or is this something I am going to have to deal with down the line because of my lack of knowledge? And would getting an oil change now do anything?

Gah, I was just lamenting over the fact I didn't purchase the extended warranty because the car was over what I wanted to spend in the first place. But I just had twins and needed a new, large vehicle. Of course this would happen...

Sorry for the tl;dr, fellas...

Edit: checking the oil on my dash says it has 94% life left. Not sure if that makes a difference. Probably not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 01:36 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds like you did just fine, near perfect. Many here drive as if they stole it from day one. The moderate driving has more to do with driveline bearings and components bedding in than the engine. Come back and report when you get 300,000 miles on it
thumperjohn151 likes this.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 01:52 PM
vbjeeper

2018 WK 

Garage
and you can still purchase an extended warranty. shop around for the best prices. though Lifetime warranty is no longer available.

vbjeeper

2018 GC Trailhawk
1998 Wrangler Sport

post #4 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

You're probably OK, just trust your manual. It seems its only the first 60 miles that is in question here, but since its has 20 already, is only 40 miles. With driving in the city, freeway and on ramps, i'm sure its fine... don't even worry about it.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 05:01 PM
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When I purchased my 2014 5.7l I drove it from Missouri to Florida and back within the first few days of ownership. 5 years later it still runs like a top. I recall when I was about to drive away from the dealership I told them I was going to Florida and the service manager replied. Drive it like you stole it. I did and still do.

HT
post #6 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 05:15 PM
andyo5
2018 WK 

I think that hard acceleration is harder on the engine than constant high speed. I think you are fine.
I drove mine home from Phoenix to Tucson (120 miles) at 70 mph-80mph. I now have 3K on the clock and oil still looks new. Has not used any oil, either.
I purchased a Mopar 7 year/75k mile extended warranty after I had driven 2400 miles. Cost me $1050.
Enjoy your Jeep.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
chris0ner

Thanks you guys. That's so reassuring! I had the option for the lifetime warranty but I've had bad experience with Mopar warranties in the past, so I figured I'd skip it. Maybe I should buy one sooner rather than later?

Anyway, I suck with mechanical things of any nature, so how will I tell if, eventually, something is wrong with my engine? By the oil intake?

Last question, the dash shows my oil at 94%. Is that fine with only 700~ miles on the odo? I was thinking about replacing it after I drive from Texas to Virginia in a few months even though it'll still be well before maintenance schedule, and then following the schedule from there.

I appreciate all the expert advise you guys give!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The expert advice is change oil whenever it makes you comfortable. Its not necessary for longevity to change it early. We put 200,000 - 300,000 miles on dozens of our 5.7 RAMs without any wear issues, changing oil every 12-16,000 miles or annually. Some go much longer with oil analysis. The post office doesn't bother changing oil in their delivery trucks

The % is base on milage and idle/run time, a little on cold temperatures. You are about 7% to the 10,000 mile oil change interval, so 94% remaining seems close enough.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 07:45 AM
BigBoreBrian
2018 WK 

OP my opinion is you have nothing to worry about with your break-in. Engines are manufactured much better than in times past when specific engine break-in protocols had to be followed. Hell my dad's BMW 3-series wagon he got in 2012 said, "Do not exceed 100 mph in the first 100 miles." That was it for the break-in.

In '99 I was a senior in college and got my first Wrangler. I picked it up over Easter break and drove it back the 250 miles to school - had to take US and state routes to avoid constant speed. I went 45 mph for 10 min, then 50 mph for 10 min, the 55 mph for 10 min, then 60 mph for 10 min, then reversed the order - took 6 hours to drive back to school doing that. Then 10 months later I wrecked the Jeep into a highway guardrail due to ice on a bridge and it was totaled.

Anyway, have no worries, you're good. Engine oil - I used to change mine after the first 1000 miles but I don't do that anymore. I change it when the computer comes on says to change it, or whenever I feel like it. Not sure about Jeep, but some manufacturers put special oil in initially and they want that in there until the computer says time for an oil change.

2018 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited - 5.7L Hemi V8
post #10 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoreBrian View Post
OP my opinion is you have nothing to worry about with your break-in. Engines are manufactured much better than in times past when specific engine break-in protocols had to be followed. Hell my dad's BMW 3-series wagon he got in 2012 said, "Do not exceed 100 mph in the first 100 miles." That was it for the break-in.

In '99 I was a senior in college and got my first Wrangler. I picked it up over Easter break and drove it back the 250 miles to school - had to take US and state routes to avoid constant speed. I went 45 mph for 10 min, then 50 mph for 10 min, the 55 mph for 10 min, then 60 mph for 10 min, then reversed the order - took 6 hours to drive back to school doing that. Then 10 months later I wrecked the Jeep into a highway guardrail due to ice on a bridge and it was totaled.

Anyway, have no worries, you're good. Engine oil - I used to change mine after the first 1000 miles but I don't do that anymore. I change it when the computer comes on says to change it, or whenever I feel like it. Not sure about Jeep, but some manufacturers put special oil in initially and they want that in there until the computer says time for an oil change.
Whats special about the oil? I find that hard to believe. Just like you shouldn't use synthetic oil during break in.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some manufactures for some engines used to (and may still) add additives for break in purposes. These are typically engines with high cam loads and/or turbos, the materials of which require some extra care. The Jeep doesn't get any of that, just off the shelf semi-synthetic, Shell brand last I checked.

post #12 of 18 Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Dude...they day after I took delivery of my MY12 Overland Summit, I left on a 1000 mile round trip for business. And it was 90% on cruise control. No worries.

• 2012 JGC Summit Hemi
• 2016 Subaru Outback Limited
• 2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #13 of 18 Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Roadijeff

When I was shopping for a True Blue HA, the nearest one was in Chicago, over 300 miles away from my house. My local dealer had someone go get it and he drove it to my dealer. By the time I got it there were close to 350 miles on the odo. I think the majority of those miles were all highway. I didn't get much of a chance to break it in, according to the manual. It seems to be running fine and I hope it stays that way. I plan on keeping it at least 10 years.

As far as the oil, I changed it initially at 1,000 miles. I used to work in an auto assembly plant and those places are not exactly hospital clean environments. I wanted to flush out any manufacturing impurities and contamination. I did this with my old Sebring that I traded in on the GC and it was still running great after 11 years and 145,000 miles. I will be changing the oil again at 5,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles after that. It's a great interval to combine that with tire rotations.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've made the SA-SA drive about 50 times. It is a perfect drive for breaking in your new Jeep. Go slow, go fast, stop, go slow, go fast, 'til you get to I-10, then go like heck (for you non-Texicans, the speed limit on I-10 west of San Antonio is 85 mph).

We picked up our brand new JCG at the dealership in SA in June of 2012, drove it home and connected the U-Haul trailer and drove to Columbia, SC the next day. Since then, best running vehicle we have ever owned (except for the 2000 VW TDI, which is bulletproof and going strong at 140k).

Don't worry about your engine and don't sweat the oil changes too much. I think the biggest issue with oil is that many folks drive once a week to the store, to church, and out to dinner. Motor never gets hot enough to boil off the water that has condensed inside. I make a point of driving my '06LJ for at least 45 minutes at a time, at least once a week.

Enjoy!

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #15 of 18 Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM
18JGCTH

No way I'd get a vehicle that was DXed from another dealer or even used as a test driver. Too much unknown abuse. If I get a vehicle that's on the lot then I'd like to see no more than 30 miles on the odometer. After that, it's used enough.

No reason to visit dealers much except for the exterior/interior inspection, test drive and price negotiation before writing the check and signing. You can do all your searching on-line and call a dealer to ask how many miles are on before paying a visit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in