2019 Grand Cherokee K&N air filter - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
limechallenger

2019 Grand Cherokee K&N air filter

Just bought a 2019 GC Overland with the v6, I realized gas mileage would be worse than my 2012 Chrysler 300s with the same motor, but I was just wondering if anyone has any input about installing a K&N replacement air filter? I installed one on my Ram and it seemed to help a little! Anybody see what it will do to a Overland with a V6?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Bilko

I have one and can report it makes no difference. I went for one because mine was getting clogged regularly. If you go down this path you need to wash and oil it regularly else your engine will be breathing dust.
w6pea likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 04:04 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I does nothing besides let more dirt in. K&N filters have great marketing, but now days they don't help the WK2 performance or mpg. What kind of mileage are you getting and what kind of driving are you doing? .
w6pea and 1HasBeen like this.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
limechallenger

Mostly highway and some around town , showing a average of 18 mpg. It is winter here in Michigan, so it might get better with a little warmer weather I hope!
post #5 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 04:42 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

good idea to wait for nicer weather, snow, ice, long warm ups, winter blend, not an ideal season, also a jeep grand cherokee 4x4 not exactly a gas miser by design.

You could get a scanner on it then and look at live data.

X2 what coldcase posted about K&N.
w6pea likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 07:02 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

18 is on the low side but not all that bad in cold weather with winter fuel. Keep the tires inflated to proper pressure. There are a couple mpg threads to give you some feedback, if you don't find them by the time I get back I'll give it a shot. mpg threads, like oil threads, tend to become peeing contests

post #7 of 40 Old 03-02-2020, 09:43 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
It will get better as the weather warms and your mix is even a little less stop and go. The advantage of a K&N or similar filter is the fact that you never replace it over the life of a vehicle, generally not more mileage or performance.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #8 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 04:18 AM
emacca

And the great thing about them is because they allow more dirt into the motor the life of the vehicle is shortened yea, win win, new car woo hoo, more repayments

Isn’t life grand
post #9 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 05:13 AM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

On my 2018 HA it brought the V6 engine alive in warmer weather. I had a early build 2013 V6 with one and it made no difference. Coming down from 2015 Hemi was a little bit of a downer until I put the K&N in the 18 HA. Running with ECO off it does a good job now on these hills, but it is no Hemi. I figured it must enhance the 2016 V6 performance upgrade for me on the current HA. Good luck to you. (still does not tow like a Hemi)

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #10 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacca View Post
And the great thing about them is because they allow more dirt into the motor the life of the vehicle is shortened yea, win win, new car woo hoo, more repayments

Isn’t life grand
This is getting old. Do they filter as well as a stock filter? NO. Do they allow enough fine particles through that the "life of the vehicle is shortened"?? NO. Not unless you have no clue how to service them or plan to run that engine until the entire car has fallen apart around you. Running one in a FJ62 for 200K miles with no leakdown or compression issues and not burning a drop of oil is proof enough for me.

I've had a drop in running in my work car from new (Genesis GDI) and at 80K it runs better than new. There is no discernible dirt or grit in the intake downstream of the filter. I would not recommend one for say, farm machinery that lives in a dustbowl, but for the street, you'll never own anything long enough to worry about it. You can continue to buy as many paper filters as you want, content in the knowledge that you've avoided un-measurably small amounts of wear.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #11 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 09:44 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
This is getting old. Do they filter as well as a stock filter? NO. Do they allow enough fine particles through that the "life of the vehicle is shortened"?? NO.

You can continue to buy as many paper filters as you want, content in the knowledge that you've avoided un-measurably small amounts of wear.
I hate to disagree, but this is typical K&N marketing BS. Not sure where you are diving. In a clean lab, there is most likely no floating debris besides skin dander, on the street one is kidding themselves. There is no street clean enough, then by chance you follow a dusty trailer for a few miles, or the vehicle in front of you kicking up salt and sand from winter road treatments and all bets are off.

On the other hand, they clog up pretty fast. When clogged they filter much better (but then loose any free flow benefit). The reason folks don't see long term debris damage is few maintain them properly, cleaning them every 5000 miles. But then, to maintain "performance", one is pulling apart the intake and cleaning them every 5,000 miles instead of throwing a paper one away every 25,000 miles.

Lets face it, few maintain oiled filters properly, mostly by over oiling, which can gunk up intakes.

But they are cool.

Now I do run an open mesh filter on my Harley just for looks (its just an open plastic mesh that rocks can't get through). I have had no measurable issues in 40,000 miles. So maybe filtering is overrated. I don't usually ride it on sandy streets, or the beach however.

post #12 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Definitely no performance or mpg benefits - just a subjectively nice “growl” under moderate acceleration. The stock intake system is actually pretty efficient as is.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #13 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
There is a lot of "what I've heard" or "in a lab" information out there. Few people have actually used them in the real world in multiple applications as I have. I clean the Genesis filter about every 25K. There is no dirt or grit in the intake. I use K&N cleaner and oil and let it air dry, running the original filter for a day or 2 while I service it. It is dirty, but not packed or clogged. The Land Cruiser at maybe 20K with the same results. Still haven't cleaned the WK2 filter at 10K miles. I'm sure it'll be fine for the next 100K I will keep it.

Not cleaning them right by trying gas or some other solvent, or trying to dry them with compressed air destroys them. This is where the horror stories come from. You can pretty much bank on one or both of these things having been done and in those cases you may as well as not even re-install it.

Do it right, take your time, and there is no way you'll own the vehicle long enough to see any difference over a stock filter. I know this from experience, not forums or what I "heard". I've used them in almost everything I've owned for the last 35 years and still haven't seen any problems or ruined MAF sensors. Again, I would not recommend them for a tractor, but a properly serviced K&N filter isn't the kiss of death to any vehicle. I think your HD backs that up.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #14 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Just for grins I pulled the drop in from the WK2. Appears new on the clean side, pretty dirty on the intake side as well as the air box. The downstream side is clean, no residue after almost 12K, not 10K.
Attached Thumbnails
20200303_110325.jpg   20200303_110315.jpg   20200303_110239.jpg   20200303_110245.jpg  

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #15 of 40 Old 03-03-2020, 01:42 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

I would never use a filter that needs oil. I use a dry filter that is what came with the mopar cold air kit. Honestly I can't imagine that these filters would let any more dirt in than a paper filter. I have used reusable filters in all the vehicles I have owned. I usually put 100,000 miles on them before getting a new one and never had any issues due to the reusable filter.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in