2019 Grand Cherokee A/C "Whoosh" sound - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
fastxl

2019 Grand Cherokee A/C "Whoosh" sound

Just purchased a used 2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude, has 22,000 miles on it. Love it so far, but getting an odd "whoosh" sound in the cockpit when the A/C is on. It's on the drivers side, not terribly loud but loud enough to be annoying. If you turn the radio on a reasonable level you will not hear it. Seems to happen when you let off the gas, does NOT happen when sitting idling. Don't seem to hear it on the highway as you don't let off the gas as much and the road noise is loud enough to cover it. Made an appointment with the dealer, but just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 10:33 AM
Bilko

This is normal. There are multiple Blend Doors which are shutters that open and close to direct the air to the selected outlets. They also mix the hot and cold air and select external or recirculated air from the cabin. Typically they change if you switch on the AC or redirect the airflow but they do self-adjust in normal operation.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
fastxl

Thanks for the reply. I test drove several of these before purchasing and thought I heard it in another one we drove but cannot 100% remember. It's going to the dealer for an alignment check so I will have them look at it.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-22-2021, 01:53 PM
Bilko

It's more of a problem if they don't woosh every now and then. This implies they are not working properly and they are not easy to access for repairs.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2021, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
fastxl

Sent it to the dealer and they replaced the low side A/C Line said it was leaking. Still makes the noise. I am going to go with it's normal unless the A/C starts acting weird. Still seems odd to me that I only hear it letting off the gas. Why wouldn't it do it at idle?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Bilko

It does sound like it may be a different issue. The "normal" wooshing sounds can happen at any time and there is nothing I can think of that would connect these two events
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2021, 01:38 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If it was whooshing anytime you let off the throttle I would suspect something vacuum operated, like the brake booster or check valve, as letting up on the throttle increases intake vacuum.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 9 Old 07-07-2021, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
fastxl

The "whoosh" sound is fairly subtle, almost like a "white noise" machine and almost like it could be coming from a speaker. Vacuum leak especially brake booster I would think would happen whether the A/C was on or not, but I do appreciate the suggestions. This noise only happens when the A/C is on. It also does not happen when I rev the engine when parked. Again it's very subtle hard to even hear from the passenger seat. I would also think a vacuum leak anywhere would throw some sort of Code or Check engine light. It's going to go back to the dealer.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-07-2021, 10:20 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You don't hear most vacuum leaks, thats why you usually uses some kind of spray to find them. Small vacuum leaks don't set a code, perhaps makes the engine stumble a bit.

Anyway its tied to the AC, like the HVAC is adjusting when you leave off the throttle.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in