2018 GC downshift and driveline "slop" concerns - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 01-04-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Comanche_88
1988 MJ Comanche 

Hi Folks, I'm a litte overdue on my update, but here goes.

So the dealer did a flash update on the transmission which did improve the downshift issue. I still detect hard downshifts occasionally, but overall the shifting and shift points have improved.

Now the downside: The dealer hoped the update would cure the driveline "slop" or jerk I was feeling, it did not. That problem still exists as does the intermittent clunk on startup. It goes back to the dealer later this month to have the radio replaced to fix the constant reboot issue that has occurred since new so this time (just like last time) I asked the service writer to arrange to have a tech take a ride with me so I can hopefully duplicate the things I experience. We'll see how it goes.

They did not list the flash update TSB on the work order, but I'll post it later when I get it from the dealer when it goes back later this month. I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 01-23-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Comanche_88
1988 MJ Comanche 

Hi folks, just wanted to update the thread after my most recent visit to the dealer. This will likely be the last for a while.

So they replaced the radio which will hopefully fix the reboot problem. Also, as an FYI for anyone else who may be experiencing the downshift issue the update they applied on the last visit was TSB 21-029-18. That helped the harsh downshifting, but did not fix it entirely. So on to this most recent visit.

Once again I could not get the clunk on startup to happen while the tech was in the vehicle with me. I explained to him the circumstances and what I hear and he is not aware of any known issue that relates to this. As for the driveline "slop" or occasional jerk I feel at highway speeds we could not attempt to duplicate that due to road conditions, so no progress there. I also mentioned to him about the slow speed downshift issue and he told me he is not aware of any fix for that condition.

I'll also mention that while all of this was going on, Jeep Care escalated my case to Enhanced Customer Satisfaction. I spoke with that gentlemen once and he indicated he would get in touch with me before this most recent trip back to the dealer in order to coordinate with the dealer and possibly get the factory engineers involved. Well I took my Jeep in two days ago and have not heard from him at all so apparently that was just lip service.

At this point I'm just going to keep driving the thing until it either gets bad enough to be repeatable or if I get frustrated and PO'd enough I'll cut my losses and get rid of it.

If I manage to make any positive progress on any of these transmission issues I'll update this thread in order to pass on any helpful information.

Comanche_88
post #18 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM
mfelthousen
2015 WK 

Garage
Also a late update- I finally had a dealer look at my issue with slow downshifting from 3-2, and 2-1. They applied TSB 21-013-19 and there is a noticeable improvement. The 2-1 jolt is minimal, and the 3-2 lag is gone. This was done about two weeks ago. So far I notice a tendency for the torque converter to stay locked when I lift off the gas at light throttle and low speeds, but it isn't obtrusive. This didn't happen prior to the TSB.

This is on a 2015, with the Hemi.

post #19 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM
GPSBob
2015 WK 

mfelthousen - are you sure about the TSB number? I looked at a couple of websites that list TSBs for our vehicles, and I don't see it listed. I'd like to get it applied, but I want to make sure I know the number in case my dealer can't find it...
post #20 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 11:19 AM
mfelthousen
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSBob View Post
mfelthousen - are you sure about the TSB number? I looked at a couple of websites that list TSBs for our vehicles, and I don't see it listed. I'd like to get it applied, but I want to make sure I know the number in case my dealer can't find it...
I'm going off of what was put on the report, so it is possible the tech typed in the wrong information. Here's detail on what was put in:

TSB 21-013-19. Reprogram TCM 68241287ah ai.

I didn't ask for a TSB to be applied- I only described the behavior I was experiencing. I wasn't positive a TSB would be the solution. Some of what I was experiencing felt like what would happen when the old 5-speed auto ran a little low on fluid. But, the transmission has been fine since the re-program, and there was no issue with it being addressed under warranty.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM
6t9chgr

2017 WK 

I wish there was an update to the site that has all the TSB's listed.....last update was 10/18 I believe...
post #22 of 30 Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think quietly FCA closed the door awhile ago on public TSB availability. Sad as dealer techs sometimes miss one and an informed public may be of great help. Dunno if its worthwhile starting a thread here to report TSBs we hear about but not publicized. I do think TSBs are still available via a subscription at techauthority.com.

Now you may be able to go to the DOT site and find them, just may not be as convenient or easy

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2011/J...Communications

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #23 of 30 Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 PM
6t9chgr

2017 WK 

Yeah it was nice to have them in chronological order in one place....
post #24 of 30 Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 AM
mfelthousen
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSBob View Post

Now that TSBs are being made public again, here's the bulletin I mentioned earlier this year.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2101319.pdf

Mat
post #25 of 30 Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 PM
GPSBob
2015 WK 

I had this TSB (21-013-19) applied to my 2015 Limited 5.7L. It definitely helps with the low-speed clunky shifting (esp. downshifts) that I was experiencing. The 3-2-1 downshifts are smoother now, and seem to happen more when you would expect. And I can now accelerate after a rolling stop without the transmission banging into 1st. Those are all nice improvements. It seems like the 1-2-3 upshifts aren't quite as crisp as they were before, but still quite good.

All in all, I think it's an improvement. I'll give it some time re-adapt and see how it is in the long run.
post #26 of 30 Old 08-12-2019, 05:41 AM
96OrvisEd

Interesting thread! Our brand new 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude does this and it has bothered me from day one! It still has under 200 miles! My 1996 JGC Orvis Edition 5.2L V8 shifts like butter with no thoughts of transmission function and it has close to 250,000 miles on it!!! Is this progress?....maybe 8 speeds are just too many for an auto transmission to have?

So, here I sit wondering what to do, after reading all of this. We had paint issues already that were resolved but now I worry about this jerky transmission....if this is a known issue why does Chrysler keep producing Jeeps with a transmission that has this issue?

I just figured it was normal for this transmission, and maybe it is?
post #27 of 30 Old 08-12-2019, 06:25 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 8 speed requires much more manufacturing precision and quality control (a ZF thing) so its difficult to build them right. There is also much more torque management going on, like it lifts the throttle a bit on shifts that lends itself to clunking. Years ago they just built them more robust to handle the torque and easier to produce and smoother.

Multi speed trends started in Europe where emissions and fuel mileage restrictions lead to small engines with narrow economy/power bands and the 8+ speed help keep the engine in those rpms so they are drivable. The cost of manufacturing is less of a consideration than so called environmental impacts.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #28 of 30 Old 08-15-2019, 07:37 PM
yinjiefu06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
Interesting thread! Our brand new 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude does this and it has bothered me from day one! It still has under 200 miles! My 1996 JGC Orvis Edition 5.2L V8 shifts like butter with no thoughts of transmission function and it has close to 250,000 miles on it!!! Is this progress?....maybe 8 speeds are just too many for an auto transmission to have?

So, here I sit wondering what to do, after reading all of this. We had paint issues already that were resolved but now I worry about this jerky transmission....if this is a known issue why does Chrysler keep producing Jeeps with a transmission that has this issue?

I just figured it was normal for this transmission, and maybe it is?
Same thing on my 19 Limited, now it has 1600 miles. Still figuring out how to get rid of the jerk downshift at low speed, I mean the 3-1, 2-1 approaching to stop. I found you need to brake harder to tell the tranny that you want to stop, not re-accerlerate, in this way the tranny will hold at 3 or 2 until stop. This is not my way to drive, typically I release my foot when the car is about to stop to reduce the knock. I can feel the downshift is getting smooth but far from good, maybe this is the adaptive thing. I think this is not something that can be improved by software, it is the design, the 1st gear is so high that it is very close to 2nd, so it never downshift to 1st at low speed during slowdown, I've tried to manually downshift to 1st at < 5 miles and it's like butter, I also read the gear number change on my old Ford Fusion, it just downshifts to 1st at low speed. With so many experiments, I have a feeling that, the ones who mentioned their car smooth out after thousands miles actually get used to the GC, not the GC adapted to them.
post #29 of 30 Old 08-18-2019, 08:06 AM
mfelthousen
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinjiefu06 View Post
Same thing on my 19 Limited, now it has 1600 miles. Still figuring out how to get rid of the jerk downshift at low speed, I mean the 3-1, 2-1 approaching to stop. I found you need to brake harder to tell the tranny that you want to stop, not re-accerlerate, in this way the tranny will hold at 3 or 2 until stop. This is not my way to drive, typically I release my foot when the car is about to stop to reduce the knock. I can feel the downshift is getting smooth but far from good, maybe this is the adaptive thing. I think this is not something that can be improved by software, it is the design, the 1st gear is so high that it is very close to 2nd, so it never downshift to 1st at low speed during slowdown, I've tried to manually downshift to 1st at < 5 miles and it's like butter, I also read the gear number change on my old Ford Fusion, it just downshifts to 1st at low speed. With so many experiments, I have a feeling that, the ones who mentioned their car smooth out after thousands miles actually get used to the GC, not the GC adapted to them.

Getting used to the vehicle is a factor, but when I brought my '15 at the dealer to fix the problem it was holding 2nd gear into a stop, and doing an annoying downshift lurch during when getting into a parking spot. After the reprogram that behavior was immediately gone, so in this case it wasn't due to my getting used to the behavior. You may want to ask the dealer to apply the latest update based on what you are describing.

Now the issue is that unless I am in sport or towing mode it feels like the program lessens line pressures for 2nd and 3rd, so there is a slight sensation of slip when the transmission starts in those gears. Most people would probably not notice, and overall I like the how the transmission behaves now.
post #30 of 30 Old 08-18-2019, 01:29 PM
yinjiefu06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfelthousen View Post
Getting used to the vehicle is a factor, but when I brought my '15 at the dealer to fix the problem it was holding 2nd gear into a stop, and doing an annoying downshift lurch during when getting into a parking spot. After the reprogram that behavior was immediately gone, so in this case it wasn't due to my getting used to the behavior. You may want to ask the dealer to apply the latest update based on what you are describing.

Now the issue is that unless I am in sport or towing mode it feels like the program lessens line pressures for 2nd and 3rd, so there is a slight sensation of slip when the transmission starts in those gears. Most people would probably not notice, and overall I like the how the transmission behaves now.
I'm always open to TSB updates, but there is no transmission shifting improvement for 19' yet. The one you mentioned is for 15' and was published recently. I hope there will be an update for 19' soon. On the other hand I am OK to give it more miles as I can feel it is still changing with time, today I found it's even better in ECO mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in