2018 Cherokee Fob doesnt unlock passenger doors. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-10-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
danny916

2018 Cherokee Fob doesnt unlock passenger doors.

Hi, I have a 2018 Jeep Cherokee and the front passenger, back left passenger doors do not react to the automatic lock on the car and on the key fob. You have to manually open those 2 doors. Has this happened to anyone else? Any fixes you suggest? Or know what the price is for any new parts needed? Any advice would be great thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2020, 04:53 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Is that a smaller Cherokee model, or the Larger Grand Cherokee?

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 14 Old 08-11-2020, 07:04 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny916 View Post
Hi, I have a 2018 Jeep Cherokee and the front passenger, back left passenger doors do not react to the automatic lock on the car and on the key fob. You have to manually open those 2 doors. Has this happened to anyone else? Any fixes you suggest? Or know what the price is for any new parts needed? Any advice would be great thank you!
I know my 2012 only has passive entry on front doors by design. You could always hit the unlock button, or just stick your hand in the front handle, then open the back. You may need to turn on the "unlock all doors"...

post #4 of 14 Old 08-11-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
danny916

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Is that a smaller Cherokee model, or the Larger Grand Cherokee?
Its the larger, Limited Grand Cherokee!
post #5 of 14 Old 08-17-2020, 11:14 AM
ColoCoug
2016 WK 

First I'd check the software settings in the control system - make sure everything is correct there.

Second, I'd trigger the lock/unlock while listening carefully at each door. If you hear the lock mechanism in the door operate, then the command is getting to the door but you may have a loose part inside. You can pull the door panel yourself and check it out, or have a shop do it.

If you don't hear the lock mechanism activate, then you have a problem with the unlock command not getting to the mechanism. In that case you may have a wiring problem or defective mechanisms.

It's unlikely that you would have either wiring problems or defective mechanisms on more than one door, so I suspect it's either software or disconnected parts.

2016 GC Limited, 75th Anniversary Edition
2011 Wrangler Unlimited
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2020, 02:25 PM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

The OP needs to explain the problem better. Is it an unlocking issue with back doors, is it a passive entry issue when using rear door handles...
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2020, 03:13 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, a little hard for me to follow, but thats not saying much.

There is a door module within each front door and it unlocks both doors on that side on command. So if both right doors are not locking, and everything else works, I'd suspect the door module, although a broken wire in the door jam can be an issue. But I'm reading that the front right and rear left doors are not locking. If so there is probably more than one problem. Both doors on the same side has been talked about, but I don't recall alternate doors. An OBD scanner that can read body modules may shed some light.

If its under warranty have a dealer look at it.
ColoCoug likes this.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:

There is a door module within each front door and it unlocks both doors on that side on command. So if both right doors are not locking, and everything else works, I'd suspect the door module, although a broken wire in the door jam can be an issue. But I'm reading that the front right and rear left doors are not locking. If so there is probably more than one problem. Both doors on the same side has been talked about, but I don't recall alternate doors. An OBD scanner that can read body modules may shed some light.

On my 2012, (via a setting) if I stick my hand in the drivers door handle, or front passenger door handle, all 4 (rear hatch as well maybe ) unlock. But only the handles on the 2 front doors will activate it. I think the other setting is Driver door only, then everything else for 2nd grab. I believe it works the same as pushing the button on the fob.
Also, I think (not positive) that if it is set to driver door only, but you grab the passenger door, all unlock?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 07:38 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

So is the OP talking about lock or unlock? I think a lock button will lock all doors regardless, but you can set unlock to be driver door only or all doors. I think the default is driver only. So if he is pressing unlock and only the drivers door unlocks, thats a settings thing. I think if you press the unlock button again, all doors will unlock.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
danny916

Quote:

Hi guys, thanks for the reply. Yes so its both sides. The front passenger and the rear left passenger. If I use the passive entry with my hand the car will unlock the driver and the rear right passenger door but the other 2 will remain locked. Both 2 doors that do not unlock have movement when I hit the fob lock or unlock or the car lock button in the car so maybe both are jammed?

I checked the uConnect settings already and resetting passive unlocking didnt do anything. Is taking the door panels off myself an easy enough task or should the dealer do it?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What are you going to do when you pull the panels off besides look? It is likely the door module or one of the solenoids drawing too much current, which you may not see visually unless you also remove the carrier, a big job. Do you want to buy a new door module or fix it yourself? I think that's not a hard thing to do, but I'd have to check. There are a couple door module threads you may be able to find to give you an idea of what's involved and the parts cost.

If you pull the manual unlock/lock button up, does the door unlock? Does those door unlock under any condition?

Regardless, I'm thinking have a dealer look at it under warranty. He would have the proper tools.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What are you going to do when you pull the panels off besides look? It is likely the door module or one of the solenoids drawing too much current, which you may not see visually unless you also remove the carrier, a big job. Do you want to buy a new door module or fix it yourself? I think that's not a hard thing to do, but I'd have to check. There are a couple door module threads you may be able to find to give you an idea of what's involved and the parts cost.

If you pull the manual unlock/lock button up, does the door unlock? Does those door unlock under any condition?

Can you unlock the passenger doors individually by using the switches on the driver's door?

Regardless, I'm thinking have a dealer look at it under warranty. He would have the proper tools.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
danny916

Quote:

Can you unlock the passenger doors individually by using the switches on the driver's door?

I can only unlock those doors if I pull the door handle which will force the door lock up and unlock. On the back passenger I can unlock with my hand since that lock sticks out more but the front passenger is flush with the door frame so I can only unlock by pulling the door handle on the inside.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-18-2020, 05:09 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

So manually unlocking means its not jammed. Sounds like there is not enough juice getting tothe unlock motors built into the latches. But you need to do some probing and use a scan tool to verify.

Early models had a door module in the front door that ran both lock motors. Off hand, dunno what the 2018 has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in