2017 WK2 upgrade to 20118 infotainment system - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
gren71

2017 WK2 upgrade to 20118 infotainment system

First off, good looking forum. Lots of good info here. I searched the forum, and may threads, and was not able to find the answer to my question.

My wife just purchased a 2017 Grand Cherokee and we found that it does not have the apple carplay feature. We should have seen it before but it wasn't really a point of purchase to have it. I just love it in my JT and want her to have the same experience, and safety, with more integrated phone use.

Is it possible to upgrade the 2017 8.4in radio to have carplay? Ive seen a video of it done by swapping the radio and a connection panel, for one from a 2018+ WK2.

I cant seem to find any used and with there only being one video of this done, that i can find, it strikes me as an upgrade not often done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 03:01 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah you have to replace the radio, not cheap so not done much. I thought one of the treads here had some detailed discussion. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll try to double check.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
gren71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah you have to replace the radio, not cheap so not done much. I thought one of the treads here had some detailed discussion. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll try to double check.
Thanks.

I searched before even posting and didnt seen anything.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM
NicRuf

Hey Gren,

It's definitely doable as ColdCase says. I did it myself last year and it works like a charm. As ColdCase says it's not a cheap option but yeah you can buy the 2018 radio that will fit in your 2017 perfectly and it's a great upgrade. There are several threads talking about it and you can probably search "infotainment" and find them. The website that sells the upgrade is below. Like I said, I bought mine from them and did the install myself in about 15 or 20 minutes, pretty easy. Has full carplay and android auto support and is also a higher resolution screen and looks a little better in general. You do lose out the ability to crank your car from the app but can still do it from your key fob.

https://www.infotainment.com/collect...grand-cherokee
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
gren71

Thanks NicRuf! Im glad to know others have done it and that the infotainment website isnt a scam.

I searched "infotainment" a moment ago but I still didnt see any threads. The formatting of searched items is a little foreign to me so im sure i am just missing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in