Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2017 Engine Seized

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Bilko 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the group. I have a really nice 2017 Ltd, fully loaded that I bought just over a year ago. Couple of weeks ago it wouldn’t start so I had it towed to a local dealer. After replacing the starter they came back and advised the engine was shot and it needs replacing. Just over 64k miles so I miss out on the warranty. Last year was a ***** between Covid-19 and my wife having cancer and I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I’m past kicking myself, can’t change stupid! The dealer wants $11k to replace with brand new engine but I’m stuck on what to do. I have reached out to Carbrain and trying to think of other places to see if I can get a have decent offer to just sell now as my wife’s condition is my priority. Any thoughts on options, it’s a great car for someone who has the time to replace the engine. I’m in Chicago so any thoughts on a jeep shop that would be a alternative option on price? Would anyone know if jeep enthusiasts on this forum would be buyers?

#2 ·
Get a used long block from a local wrecking yard or other service. That'll be much cheaper than having a shop rebuild what you have. Some places will even do the swap for you. I'm not familiar with the Chicago area but there has to be a few forum members who could point you in the right direction. Even if you just want to off the thing, you'll probably be money ahead getting it running again as opposed to just selling a paper weight.

#3 ·
Hi, new to the group. I have a really nice 2017 Ltd, fully loaded that I bought just over a year ago. Couple of weeks ago it wouldn't start so I had it towed to a local dealer. After replacing the starter they came back and advised the engine was shot and it needs replacing. Just over 64k miles so I miss out on the warranty. Last year was a ***** between Covid-19 and my wife having cancer and I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I'm past kicking myself, can't change stupid! The dealer wants $11k to replace with brand new engine but I'm stuck on what to do. I have reached out to Carbrain and trying to think of other places to see if I can get a have decent offer to just sell now as my wife's condition is my priority. Any thoughts on options, it's a great car for someone who has the time to replace the engine. I'm in Chicago so any thoughts on a jeep shop that would be a alternative option on price? Would anyone know if jeep enthusiasts on this forum would be buyers?
Weeron:
Which engine to you have - a Pentastar V6? Do you know exactly how/why your engine failed?
Thanks
Quadra Drive

#4 ·
... I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I'm past kicking myself, can't change stupid! ...
Don't kick yourself, that wouldn't hurt the engine enough to seize unless it ran completely out of oil, in which case you should have received oil pressure warnings first. The coolant could have leaked out and it overheated, but you should have got an overheat indication. It probably had a manufacturing defect that would have destroyed the engine regardless. When a lifter fails, its pretty easy to destroy an engine.

Buying and selling discussions should be contained in the selling or wanted to buy forums.

Having someone put a used engine in seems to be good advice.

#5 ·
I just did a search on car-part.com
engine 3.6 for a 2017 ranges for about $1700-$3000 some with as low as 12K miles. Add in maybe another $1000 labor and you should be down the road for about ¼ of the dealer with a new engine.
And typically they warranty used engines as well.
5.7 seems to be about $2200 - $3800

#8 ·
Hi, new to the group. I have a really nice 2017 Ltd, fully loaded that I bought just over a year ago. Couple of weeks ago it wouldn't start so I had it towed to a local dealer. After replacing the starter they came back and advised the engine was shot and it needs replacing. Just over 64k miles so I miss out on the warranty. Last year was a ***** between Covid-19 and my wife having cancer and I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I'm past kicking myself, can't change stupid! The dealer wants $11k to replace with brand new engine but I'm stuck on what to do. I have reached out to Carbrain and trying to think of other places to see if I can get a have decent offer to just sell now as my wife's condition is my priority. Any thoughts on options, it's a great car for someone who has the time to replace the engine. I'm in Chicago so any thoughts on a jeep shop that would be a alternative option on price? Would anyone know if jeep enthusiasts on this forum would be buyers?
You need to get a second, independent opinion on this, what exactly is broken? Catastrophic failures of these engines are very, very rare, especially with your mileage. Were you seeing any issues prior to the supposed engine failure?

#10 ·
Don't sell or trade this vehicle until you know exactly what is going on. I bet if you bought a new vehicle from this dealer you would find your "old" vehicle for sale on the dealer lot the next day. Maybe I am just getting old and cynical but I don't like to see people getting ripped off.

Have you checked that the engine is really seized? If you have a breaker bar and 24mm socket you can try and turn the engine over using the front crankshaft pulley that drives the serpentine belt, this is easily accessible. It's unlikely you would start the engine doing this but to be sure, check the ignition is off or disconnect the Neg battery terminal before you do this. If it really is seized you should reach out to Jeep Cares and see if they can help you out, this is not a problem that should affect a 64k mile motor, it must be a manufacturing defect.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.