2017 Engine Seized - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bilko
  • 1 Post By Bilko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-2021, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Weeron

2017 Engine Seized

Hi, new to the group. I have a really nice 2017 Ltd, fully loaded that I bought just over a year ago. Couple of weeks ago it wouldn’t start so I had it towed to a local dealer. After replacing the starter they came back and advised the engine was shot and it needs replacing. Just over 64k miles so I miss out on the warranty. Last year was a ***** between Covid-19 and my wife having cancer and I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I’m past kicking myself, can’t change stupid! The dealer wants $11k to replace with brand new engine but I’m stuck on what to do. I have reached out to Carbrain and trying to think of other places to see if I can get a have decent offer to just sell now as my wife’s condition is my priority. Any thoughts on options, it’s a great car for someone who has the time to replace the engine. I’m in Chicago so any thoughts on a jeep shop that would be a alternative option on price? Would anyone know if jeep enthusiasts on this forum would be buyers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-2021, 06:19 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Get a used long block from a local wrecking yard or other service. That'll be much cheaper than having a shop rebuild what you have. Some places will even do the swap for you. I'm not familiar with the Chicago area but there has to be a few forum members who could point you in the right direction. Even if you just want to off the thing, you'll probably be money ahead getting it running again as opposed to just selling a paper weight.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2021, 08:10 PM
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeron View Post
Hi, new to the group. I have a really nice 2017 Ltd, fully loaded that I bought just over a year ago. Couple of weeks ago it wouldn’t start so I had it towed to a local dealer. After replacing the starter they came back and advised the engine was shot and it needs replacing. Just over 64k miles so I miss out on the warranty. Last year was a ***** between Covid-19 and my wife having cancer and I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I’m past kicking myself, can’t change stupid! The dealer wants $11k to replace with brand new engine but I’m stuck on what to do. I have reached out to Carbrain and trying to think of other places to see if I can get a have decent offer to just sell now as my wife’s condition is my priority. Any thoughts on options, it’s a great car for someone who has the time to replace the engine. I’m in Chicago so any thoughts on a jeep shop that would be a alternative option on price? Would anyone know if jeep enthusiasts on this forum would be buyers?
Weeron:
Which engine to you have - a Pentastar V6? Do you know exactly how/why your engine failed?
Thanks
Quadra Drive

post #4 of 10 Old 06-21-2021, 08:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
... I realized I did not get an oil change done, only driven 7k in 16 months and no change oil indicator came up in those months. I’m past kicking myself, can’t change stupid! ...
Don't kick yourself, that wouldn't hurt the engine enough to seize unless it ran completely out of oil, in which case you should have received oil pressure warnings first. The coolant could have leaked out and it overheated, but you should have got an overheat indication. It probably had a manufacturing defect that would have destroyed the engine regardless. When a lifter fails, its pretty easy to destroy an engine.

Buying and selling discussions should be contained in the selling or wanted to buy forums.

Having someone put a used engine in seems to be good advice.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 06:21 AM
WK2Overland4X4

I just did a search on car-part.com
engine 3.6 for a 2017 ranges for about $1700-$3000 some with as low as 12K miles. Add in maybe another $1000 labor and you should be down the road for about of the dealer with a new engine.
And typically they warranty used engines as well.
5.7 seems to be about $2200 - $3800

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)
post #6 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 06:39 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i would bet the labor hours are a bit more the 1k on these. not like its an XJ. will be hard sell with a blown engine.

Trouble with a used block for the shop is No warranty. So any issue, do it again on your dime.

I would not pay dealer prices on labor what is it today 150 an hour?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 11:49 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Buy the cheapest engine you can and get it installed. Then sell the vehicle.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi & 2017 SRT 6.4L & 2020 Trackhawk 6.2L Supercharged
post #8 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 AM
Bilko

Quote:
You need to get a second, independent opinion on this, what exactly is broken? Catastrophic failures of these engines are very, very rare, especially with your mileage. Were you seeing any issues prior to the supposed engine failure?
metalhead and diverscale like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 02:14 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

What did the dealer tell you was wrong with the engine that it needed replacing? I agree with Bilko you need to get it looked at by a good independent shop.

1994 YJ (Gone)
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (Gone)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
2012 Wrangler Unlimited JK
post #10 of 10 Old 06-22-2021, 03:44 PM
Bilko

Don't sell or trade this vehicle until you know exactly what is going on. I bet if you bought a new vehicle from this dealer you would find your "old" vehicle for sale on the dealer lot the next day. Maybe I am just getting old and cynical but I don't like to see people getting ripped off.

Have you checked that the engine is really seized? If you have a breaker bar and 24mm socket you can try and turn the engine over using the front crankshaft pulley that drives the serpentine belt, this is easily accessible. It's unlikely you would start the engine doing this but to be sure, check the ignition is off or disconnect the Neg battery terminal before you do this. If it really is seized you should reach out to Jeep Cares and see if they can help you out, this is not a problem that should affect a 64k mile motor, it must be a manufacturing defect.
Attached Thumbnails
Pentastar.jpg  
diverscale likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in