2016 backup assist malfunction. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
78cj5owner
1978 CJ5 

2016 backup assist malfunction.

So my 16 overland has a problem with its backup assist. When backing up with a trailer it’ll slam on the brakes. Even when you push the off button with a short press or long press , 2-3 sec later it’ll turn itself back on. Pulling the backup camera fuse does nothing to turn it off. Covering up the sensors and camera also does nothing. Only way I’ve been able to back up with a trailer is by going into 4lo. The computer won’t let it work but even the module tries every few seconds to turn itself back on but is forced out with the 4lo override. So since my jeep is out of warranty is getting a junk yard module possible without reprogramming from the dealership? I just avoided the dealer cause I know they are gonna charge me to diagnose a problem that I already know I have. Is there a possible work around for the module. I don’t care if I even have it working.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 09:26 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78cj5owner View Post
So my 16 overland has a problem with its backup assist. When backing up with a trailer itíll slam on the brakes. Even when you push the off button with a short press or long press , 2-3 sec later itíll turn itself back on. Pulling the backup camera fuse does nothing to turn it off. Covering up the sensors and camera also does nothing. Only way Iíve been able to back up with a trailer is by going into 4lo. The computer wonít let it work but even the module tries every few seconds to turn itself back on but is forced out with the 4lo override. So since my jeep is out of warranty is getting a junk yard module possible without reprogramming from the dealership? I just avoided the dealer cause I know they are gonna charge me to diagnose a problem that I already know I have. Is there a possible work around for the module. I donít care if I even have it working.
I think what I have read was 14s were the ones with issues that were corrected with new programming. What might work is to tape foil over them when you have a trailer connected, that should make them useless. I'm sure people that trailer will chime in with better ideas, but I'm pretty sure it "should" just deactivate when a trailer is connected. Unless there is a problem with trailer wiring maybe?

2021 Summit L 4X4 Bright White/Steel Gray, 3.6 , ProTech IV, Lux Tech V.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, there is a recent thread on the subject, and many older ones. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll try to find one.

In those cases, the software needed to be updated. Maybe a $125 dealer charge or whatever their hour rate is. Otherwise the tip is to disconnect the middle two (I think) acoustic parking sensors. Thats pretty easy to do and will disable the system.

Is this a new problem, or something thats been there awhile?

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
78cj5owner
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah, there is a recent thread on the subject, and many older ones. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll try to find one.

In those cases, the software needed to be updated. Maybe a $125 dealer charge or whatever their hour rate is. Otherwise the tip is to disconnect the middle two (I think) acoustic parking sensors. Thats pretty easy to do and will disable the system.

Is this a new problem, or something thats been there awhile?

Didn’t find much when I searched other than it being replaced or reprogrammed. It’s been a problem for awhile now. Never bothered me much with the 1-2 times a month I would haul my trailer. Now that we bought a boat it’s gonna be behind the jeep almost every weekend. So it’s an issue now. I don’t much care for my dealers and being we live in the country there is only 1 close one to pick from. Haven’t had much luck with the techs over the years and the same goes for a few people I know that have been there. I know I’m gonna end up having a headache of dealing with them charging me a diagnosing fee along with what ever they decide is the best route and being that I work in the opposite direction it would require me to take a day off work to even go there. So figured if I could do a work around myself I would much rather do that. Always preferred working on my own stuff anyway.

I’ll try the two middle sensors haven’t saw that mentioned yet so thank you!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2021, 05:27 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

So you saw these two threads? The disconnect sensor tip is buried in one of them.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...ouble-4433653/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...18/index2.html

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in