2015 JGC HID Headlight DRL Partly Out - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

2015 JGC HID Headlight DRL Partly Out

Anyone know if a HID headlight equipped JGC has LED DRL's or how they are lit? My driver's side is partly out - the top section of the lamp is not working. The DRL's are shaped like a sideways U or ] and the side and bottom are lit but the top is out. Does the whole assembly have to be replaced or are there replaceable lamps? I have an appt at the dealer Thursday and a lifetime extended warranty but if it's just a lamp I can replace I'll be pissed since I have a $100 deductable. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
They don't fix them, it'll be replaced.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #3 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

Thanks for the quick reply - gives me some confidence that I won't get hosed!

post #4 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 06:29 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The LEDs are not replaceable.

Off hand I don't recall the current FCA policy but be prepared for them to initially deny the warranty as lamp housings and bulbs are technically not covered, and this is not a 50 cent bulb replacement. If denied, you may have to get member jeepcares involved and start a case. There was a discussion thread around here awhile ago.
w6pea likes this.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 06:34 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Yep I think they’re going to deny it completely! Then instead of being $100 pissed you’ll be $1,000 pissed. Lol

Might wanna review that warranty language.
w6pea likes this.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

Thanks for the heads-up ColdCase, I will be prepared. About 3 years ago I bought the Lifetime Maximum Care package from Mopar (about $3500) and it covers a tremendous number of electronic components and the entire drivetrain but the Bi-Xenon headlight assemblies weren't specifically listed. I called their "Help" line and they said the LED DRL's are covered. Hopefully that's the case since they are $900 on RockAuto. Technically LED's do not "burn out" and there has been no impact to the headlight assembly whatsoever so I will be rather forceful should they try to stiff me. Thanks for the tip on Jeepcares too!
w6pea likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2020, 01:54 PM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
Keep us posted on Warranty details. I looked at my Lifetime Warranty and didn't see it listed as covered.
I did find the following listed as NOT covered: "lights (bulb, sealed beams, lenses)".
w6pea likes this.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

Will do JT. I wouldn't expect an incandescent lamp as in a bulb or sealed beam to be covered, but LED's as in Light Emitting Diodes aren't lamps. The build code LMZS from the build sheet for my Jeep is described as "LED Daytime Running Headlamps." I'm prepared for an argument though. Hope to post good news soon. Appt is Thursday at 10am so I will update thereafter.
w6pea likes this.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2013 Audi S5
2009 Corvette Z06
post #9 of 21 Old 01-16-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

Update: Denied!

While the warranty folks said the LED DRL would be covered, the dealer rational was that it is part of the "headlight" and "headlights" are not covered. I spoke to the Mopar warranty folks again and they did research and said, no it is not covered contrary to the previous call. I got a mailing address to argue my case from the warranty person and below is an excerpt from the letter I have sent to them.

Knowing that LED’s are an electronic semiconductor and not a “lamp” or “bulb” as there is no vacuum based bulb with a filament involved I thought they should be covered under the Lifetime Maximum Care plan so I called a plan representative to verify the coverage. After a brief research hold, they said yes, they are covered. I scheduled a service visit with my local dealer who informed me that in fact they are not covered because the LED’s are in the headlight assembly and headlights are not covered and the entire headlight assembly would have to be replaced because the LED’s are not serviceable. They gave me a Labor Operations number of 08503107.

My question for you is that if the LED’s (which are not lamps or lightbulbs) are not serviceable, why would Mopar not cover the (undamaged) headlight housing that contains the LED’s and simply transfer the working HID lightbulb to the new headlight housing?

A LED (Light Emitting Diode) is a semiconductor light source and is not subject to “burning out” like ordinary incandescent light bulbs. As an electronic component, I would expect the Maximum Care Plan to cover said device as it is no different than any other semiconductor component in the vehicle. There are at least hundreds, if not thousands of diodes within the electronic devices throughout the vehicle covered under the warranty. The only difference is that these particular diodes emit light.

I would appreciate reconsideration in the denial of coverage for replacement of the DRL on my Jeep.

I'll let y'all know if/what they respond with.

w6pea likes this.

2013 Audi S5
2009 Corvette Z06
post #10 of 21 Old 01-16-2020, 04:48 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotka View Post
Update: Denied!

While the warranty folks said the LED DRL would be covered, the dealer rational was that it is part of the "headlight" and "headlights" are not covered. I spoke to the Mopar warranty folks again and they did research and said, no it is not covered contrary to the previous call. I got a mailing address to argue my case from the warranty person and below is an excerpt from the letter I have sent to them.

Knowing that LED’s are an electronic semiconductor and not a “lamp” or “bulb” as there is no vacuum based bulb with a filament involved I thought they should be covered under the Lifetime Maximum Care plan so I called a plan representative to verify the coverage. After a brief research hold, they said yes, they are covered. I scheduled a service visit with my local dealer who informed me that in fact they are not covered because the LED’s are in the headlight assembly and headlights are not covered and the entire headlight assembly would have to be replaced because the LED’s are not serviceable. They gave me a Labor Operations number of 08503107.

My question for you is that if the LED’s (which are not lamps or lightbulbs) are not serviceable, why would Mopar not cover the (undamaged) headlight housing that contains the LED’s and simply transfer the working HID lightbulb to the new headlight housing?

A LED (Light Emitting Diode) is a semiconductor light source and is not subject to “burning out” like ordinary incandescent light bulbs. As an electronic component, I would expect the Maximum Care Plan to cover said device as it is no different than any other semiconductor component in the vehicle. There are at least hundreds, if not thousands of diodes within the electronic devices throughout the vehicle covered under the warranty. The only difference is that these particular diodes emit light.

I would appreciate reconsideration in the denial of coverage for replacement of the DRL on my Jeep.

I'll let y'all know if/what they respond with.
Have you contacted JeepCares?
w6pea likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-16-2020, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

I have not. I guess I'll hold my letter I was dropping in the box tonight and do that first. Thanks for reminding me about JeepCares ceb1.
w6pea likes this.

2013 Audi S5
2009 Corvette Z06
post #12 of 21 Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 PM
VNT

2002 WJ 

mine had one led segment fail, made a piece about 1 inch in length look blue. they replaced under the bumper to bumper 3/36 the whole module, lists for 1300 bucks. my buddy is a tech and he did the replacement, PITA, have to remove the whole facia to get the head lamp out. he gave me the unit back and the hid xenon part is servicable, so have a spare. I have the lifetime maxcare, so now they saying the headlight modules are not covered??

86 Daytona 00 Durango 02 WJ
05 PT GT 06 PT GT 06 PT
15 WK2 17 Challenger 18 Sahara 20 Rubicon
post #13 of 21 Old 01-16-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

So far that's right VNT, Lifetime Maximum Care is not covering the LED failure because it's considered a "Headlight" failure. Hmmm, do they really want to argue that Light Emitting Diodes are the same as Light Bulbs? That's like saying Cathode Ray Tube TV's (CRT's) are the same as LCD display TV's. Really? I filed a complaint with JeepCares tonight recommended by ColdCase and Ceb1. I'll update when I hear news. If I don't get a positive response I'll send my aforementioned letter to the Mopar Warranty folks - it already has a Forever stamp on it I don't want to waste. :-) Thanks everyone for the interest and support!

2013 Audi S5
2009 Corvette Z06
post #14 of 21 Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotka View Post
So far that's right VNT, Lifetime Maximum Care is not covering the LED failure because it's considered a "Headlight" failure. Hmmm, do they really want to argue that Light Emitting Diodes are the same as Light Bulbs? That's like saying Cathode Ray Tube TV's (CRT's) are the same as LCD display TV's. Really? I filed a complaint with JeepCares tonight recommended by ColdCase and Ceb1. I'll update when I hear news. If I don't get a positive response I'll send my aforementioned letter to the Mopar Warranty folks - it already has a Forever stamp on it I don't want to waste. :-) Thanks everyone for the interest and support!
I thought the old "lifetime" warranty was exclusionary. Does it specifically exclude headlight housings?

You can also file a complaint with NHTSA - won't do much good unless others file as well, but it will get Jeep's attention if you reference the NHTSA filing in your complaint to them.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-17-2020, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
marcotka
2015 WK 

JeepCares responded in a hour with email and escalated my issue to a Case Manager. I also had to schedule another visit with the local Jeep service department and supply the date and time back to JeepCares who updated the Case Manager with that info. When I go back to service next Thursday Jan 23 at 1pm the Case Manager and Service Manager are to get together and come up with a resolution. Per JeepCares, "Escalating your situation to a Case Manager will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concerns, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the lights addressed and resolved." Hmmm, might that include in excess of $1000 from my pocket? I guess I'll find out next week and update this post. Whatever happens it won't stop me from crusading to educate FCA on the difference between LED's and Light Bulbs.

To answer your question Ceb1 there isn't an exclusion on headlight housings, but I'm sure they are not included since it's basically a body part. Just so happens the LED's are stuffed into the housing if you have the HID lighting option. Thanks too for the NHTSA info - I'll keep that card handy for play as needed.

2013 Audi S5
2009 Corvette Z06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in