2014 Oil Pressure Low? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Sukhram

2014 Oil Pressure Low?

Hi all, I have a 2014 Laredo that has been bought new. Today I was just doing a regular checkup on it by going over all of the fluids, and general condition of things. The oil pressure caught my eye.

After the vehicle is fully warmed up, and about 10-15 minutes of normal driving in the city, the oil pressure remains at about 16 PSI when the vehicle is sitting at idle in drive. When I put it back into park, the oil pressure will raise up to the low 20's.

I have taken my GC into the dealer for this and a few other services and did mention the low oil pressure to them, as it is still under warranty. They did change the oil filter housing I believe or something closely related to that as they said it was leaking. After they changed it, it is a little over a month now, and the same condition is there, where the oil pressure is still pretty low.

Under this condition, the oil was warmed up to around 194-206 Degrees Fahrenheit.

*All oil changes have used either Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w-20*

Now, this being the 3.6 Pentastar, I have been reading up on some technical info on it such as what the minimum oil pressure should be and from 600-1200RPM, it should be at least 5 PSI.

I know the oil pressure is not that low but being that I am coming up on 70k miles, should I be worried about anything worn out in the engine such as main bearings or connecting rod bearings, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4722.jpg  
oldmac1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sometimes the pressure sensor or the connection to it becomes faulty. Some tech data says 6psi is minimum.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 21 Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

reading is within spec... confirmed by coldcase.
vehicle gauges are NOT precision instruments,
if worried I would check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge,

there is a TSB to replace sensor BUT you do not have a code - might be something to remember - oil pressure sensor revised part. 18-034-14
diverscale likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM
jacko15
2014 WK 

Mine usually hovers at 36 psi when warmed up, and not working hard. 16 might be within spec, but I'd find it unusual.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #5 of 21 Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

I agree with Jacko. Seems a little low to me. Lowest I've seen is 26 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Mine usually hovers at 36 psi when warmed up, and not working hard. 16 might be within spec, but I'd find it unusual.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-06-2020, 09:57 AM
mickey53usa
2012 WK 

Don't mean to hijack an old thread, but....
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 V-6 - 51K
Oil Pressure Sensor and the Oil Filter housing/Cooler have been replaced.
Oil is Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic
Oil filter is MOPAR
With the engine warm, at idle, in gear, will see Oil Pressure in the 26lbs range. Increase RPMs slightly (100-200 RPM) and oil pressure goes to 30+lbs
I will get the CEL and find the P006D code set.

Q1: What is the low threshold pressure that trips the CEL? Seems that it has to remain low for six seconds for the code to set.
Q2: Can idle speed be increased?
Q3: Were there any BCM updates that may cause this that I am lacking? (has not been to a Jeep garage for a couple years)
Trying to avoid an oil pump replacement

Thanks

Michael
South Plains of Texas
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
post #7 of 21 Old 06-06-2020, 01:32 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't see a P006D in my book. Perhaps P06D* where *is a letter ?

You could measure the oil gally pressure to double check. You could check the circuit from the PCM to solenoid and solenoid to ground as these faults seem to be triggered by solenoid operation, not the oil pressure itself.

P06DA - Pump circuit. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the actual voltage of the oil pump solenoid control circuit does not match the intended state. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL

P06DD - Pump stuck low. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses the oil pressure is less than a low threshold for 5.0 seconds. One Trip fault.

P06DE - Pump stuck high. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses the oil pressure is more than a high threshold for 50 seconds . One Trip fault.

Therory:
The engine oil pump features seven vanes and a moving element that continuously adjusts to maintain a regulated oil pressure supply by varying the displacement of the pump. The pump has two regulated pressure stages of operation controlled by an on/off solenoid. Low pressure mode regulation (solenoid on) is approximately 200 kPa (29 psi) and high pressure mode regulation (solenoid off) is approximately 450 kPa (65 psi). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) switches the pump between stages based on engine operating conditions, oil and coolant temperatures, speed and load. Under most typical conditions, the pump will run in low mode from idle up to around 3000 rpm and switch from low to high mode between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The maximum oil pressure in the engine is limited to 1000 kPa (145 psi) by the relief valve. Pressure in the main oil gallery of the engine can be monitored with diagnostic equipment through the oil pressure sensor mounted on the rear of the oil filter module. The minimum pressure for the engine is 41 kPa (6 psi) at any operating condition. Anything under this pressure could result in damage to critical moving parts.

Possible causes:

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (G62) OIL PUMP SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT
(G62) OIL PUMP CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR SHORTED TO GROUND
(G62) OIL PUMP CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (Z903) OIL PUMP SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT
OIL PUMP SOLENOID
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.27.00 PM.jpg  
BigTizzie and diverscale like this.

post #8 of 21 Old 06-06-2020, 03:29 PM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

I usually get around 80 psi when cold and it drops to around 36 when warm and cruising. 186 deg F was the max I have seen.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 AM
mickey53usa
2012 WK 

Coldcase - thanks for the response - The error is P06DD -
Following the Chrysler process, if the Pressure Sending unit does not cure the problem, then you replace the Oil pump.
This is the first time that I have seen the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) mentioned. I am beginning to think more along the PCM line as I have had some other sporadic issues (seat memory stops working, mirrors don't adjust) don't know if they are directly related.
If the oil pressure was more of a constant thing, I would think oil pump - but this seems to be more of an electrical issue.
Can the PCM be changed by the owner or third party shop, or does it require special proprietary Chrysler software, etc?
Thanks for the circuit drawing - can you provide an idea where I should start looking for those wires?

Thanks again.

Michael
South Plains of Texas
post #10 of 21 Old 06-07-2020, 11:43 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Perhaps when the PCM releases the solenoid voltage at high rpm, it sticks in the low position. What is your oil pressure at 3500 rpm?

I don’t have much detail on where those wires are located, except they are on the solenoid and PCM connector C3 pin 8 on early models, dunno about 2014. I wonder if driving the solenoid on/off will unstick it.

Perhaps the oil pressure is low all the time because the pump is worn or internal oil leaks, as it just can’t pump well enough to maintain pressure.

If the oil pressure jumps at about 3000 rpm, that means the solenoid and PCM are probably working well enough. No jump probably means the solenoid is stuck or the PCM is faulty (stuck on). I’ll have to get back on the PCM change, unless someone jumps in here first. I think you can buy them preprogrammed with your VIN and mileage.
diverscale likes this.

post #11 of 21 Old 06-07-2020, 12:01 PM
mickey53usa
2012 WK 

Thanks for the response ColdCase -
Oil pressure (when the CEL is not on) will go to the 70-80 PSI reading. In looking at what the PCM controls, it does indicate that erratic shifting may be experienced from a failing PCM. I do experience that - This is a 2012, but that is close enough to a 2014 to be nearly identical. Maybe grasping at straws, but a PCM appears to be less expensive than replacing an oil pump, which may not be the problem.
Thanks again.

Michael
South Plains of Texas
post #12 of 21 Old 06-07-2020, 03:58 PM
emacca

Personally I think 5/20 oil is to light weight, I prefer 5/30

But thatís just me
BigTizzie likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-07-2020, 05:23 PM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Question

Yeah, my 2011 V6 needs 5w-30. I DON'T use anything else. Is 20w on the oil cap for the 2014? What motor?

Was the oil pressure fine in the cold winter months?
post #14 of 21 Old 06-13-2020, 09:29 AM
mickey53usa
2012 WK 

I'll continue on this thread - 2012 Grand Cherokee - Oil Pressure Sensor, Oil Cooler and Oil Filter Housing already changed - still get the CEL and P06DD code.
Took to Jeep Dealer yesterday. They verified that all the Control Module firmware was up to date. They then started on diagnosing the CEL and P06DD code, which they were able to reproduce while driving and their diagnostic computer attached. Since the Pressure Sensor had already been replaced, and it was a Mopar oil filter, they by-passed those steps to - - needing to remove the Timing Chain Cover to check for chain tension, missing bolts, etc. If nothing is found there, they will continue to the replacement of the oil pump, in the neighborhood of $1,500. They did share some information documents that pertain to this error code - I have attached them. (I think) Oh, and the oil pump is a week out. - No Jeep until next Saturday.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil_Pressure_Control_S1218000005.pdf (164.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Low_Oil_Pressure_2_S1209000025.pdf (41.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Low_Oil_Pressure_S1109000014.pdf (64.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf Camshaft_S1618000050.pdf (108.9 KB, 6 views)
BigTizzie likes this.

Michael
South Plains of Texas
post #15 of 21 Old 06-16-2020, 11:52 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey53usa View Post
I'll continue on this thread - 2012 Grand Cherokee - Oil Pressure Sensor, Oil Cooler and Oil Filter Housing already changed - still get the CEL and P06DD code.
Took to Jeep Dealer yesterday. They verified that all the Control Module firmware was up to date. They then started on diagnosing the CEL and P06DD code, which they were able to reproduce while driving and their diagnostic computer attached. Since the Pressure Sensor had already been replaced, and it was a Mopar oil filter, they by-passed those steps to - - needing to remove the Timing Chain Cover to check for chain tension, missing bolts, etc. If nothing is found there, they will continue to the replacement of the oil pump, in the neighborhood of $1,500. They did share some information documents that pertain to this error code - I have attached them. (I think) Oh, and the oil pump is a week out. - No Jeep until next Saturday.....
Hi there @mickey53usa
We are certainly sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble with your vehicle. If you would like our team to offer additional assistance during your dealer visit, feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in