2014 JGC Limited 4x4 - Should I buy? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-27-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Kortoga

2014 JGC Limited 4x4 - Should I buy?

New to the forum, Glad to be here!
Always wanted a JGC, just don't have the $50k for the model I want.
Just joined to try to get a perspective on what I am about to undergo.

I am looking for knowledgeable recommendations of what to do.
You guys own this model year and know the issues and if they have been fixed. Please give me your recommendations of the below decision.
Thank you...

I am looking at buying a 2014 JGC Limited 4x4 (53k miles) that was built from what I think was 05-2013. I say this because that is when the first dealership took control of it on the CarFax.

2 days ago I had no idea the early built 2014s had so many electrical issues.

CarFax shows
No wrecks, 4 owners. 1 owner took it in for "electrical system check" 5 times in 5 months. Then "offered for sale" on the 5th month. That owner had it for about 1 year.
At first this was a red flag to me. SO when I test drove the vehicle I asked about the electrical system, if it had problems. I did not know about the major 2014 issues at this point. The dealer told me there are no electrical issues but that he would run a check.
He did and they found a faulty door lock relay that they are replacing.

That made me get online last night and start looking for electrical issues with this year and that is when I was surprised at the tons of people who had their aces handed to them by buying new $50k plus cars that lived at the dealer's shop. My word there were some pretty pissed off people.
==========================
I test drove the car and it drove great, shifted good, showed a lot of power, engine sounded great, very quiet at idle with hood up, 4x4 was good (wouldn't want to drive daily in this mode), I played with as much electrical as possible, everything seemed to work.

My question:
1. Have the issues for the transmission, shifting, Christmas tree lights, door locks not working, and all other electrical issues been fixed on these vehicles? I know that is a loaded question since there is no way to know what vehicles may have been fixed. But I am hoping a lot of these issues were due to software and programming that has been fixed since then.

And hopefully not grounding or wiring issues that really cannot be fixed making these "lemon" cars with these issues lemons for life.

2. Should I look for a 2015 and forget the 2014? I can do this but it bumps my budget on buying a used JGC up a few thousand.

==============
THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2018, 04:27 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Which engine? Early build V6ís were prone to some transmission software problems with the Chrysler built 8 speed. The German built version for the other engines was much more reliable during that time. By now, all that should have been resolved. Our Ď14 with the V8 has been trouble free except for replacing the oil pressure sensor covered by the factory MaxCare warranty.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #3 of 6 Old 04-27-2018, 06:00 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortoga View Post
I am looking at buying a 2014 JGC Limited 4x4 (53k miles) that was built from what I think was 05-2013. I say this because that is when the first dealership took control of it on the CarFax..

The build date is stamped on one of the door jam stickers.

Many of the poor experiences were V6s. Most of the electrical gremlins were fixed by SW updates, the dealer should be able to check if it has the latest. But you are rolling the dice, by far most 2014s regardless of when built had no issues, but there were quite a few with software problems when they were first released to the wild. So I would expect some better than average deals on them to justify buying one. As far as christmas trees, you will see reports of new 2018 models with that anomaly. Its affected a few in every WK2 model year since they revised the control systems in 2014.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 6 Old 04-27-2018, 06:09 PM
PwnCall

Garage
Now is the time to buy the 2014-15 because all the previous owners hassled with fixing all the electrical crap.

That is why I will never buy a brand new car, if I wanted to buy a car that had to go into the dealer several times a month AND would lose 25k of its value in 3 years... well I wouldn't ...so I buy cars off lease.

Just check everything over real well since it will come with a 3 month warranty most likely. After that it's on you.

My 2014 has been great, only problem I had was that it rolled down my driveway in park one time. I would suggest always using the parking brake on an incline with a 2014 nothing will probably happen but ya never know.

As far as 4x4 your jeep is always in 4x4. if it has a select knob Qd II or III then you can select different terrains for optimal performance but it will always be in 4x4 regardless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-28-2018, 12:17 AM
jeradyjerin
1999 WJ 

2014 JGC Limited 4x4 - Should I buy?

Iíve had my 14 for about a year and have had not one single issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 04-28-2018, 01:38 PM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

Had a early build 14 (July 13) and had zero mechanical problems but tons of sw recalls. Each one made the Jeep better but I believe the transmission fix in the 4qtr of 13 made a big difference for the newer builds. Traded in for a 15 and loved it for no recalls but one (shifter) and no problems at all. If I were to buy a 14 I would make sure the sticker on the door says it was manufactured in 14. Good luck to you on your choice.

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in